Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Suggestions of a book about a boy being nicer to his brother

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:44 am
My grandson who for this post let me call him Avi. He is a clever boy. He has a brother let me call him Yitzi who has substantial special needs.
Avi does not treat Yitzi nicely at all but because Yitzi acts differently and does things that bother Avi, therefore Avi finds his brother a nuisance and is nasty to him. Their mother is a single mum and she finds the sibling rivalry difficult to deal with. She does not want to speak to any professional.

My main point in posting this is to ask if anyone can suggest a book (jewish or non-jewish) that could give a way for Avi to understand that just because Yitzi is not like him, Avi should appreciate that he is a clever boy and use his brains to help and understand his brother not be nasty to him.
I already know of 2 books.
One is called Wonder and the other "The boy in the back of the class. Actually the boy in the back of the class is an excellent book for any child.
I would appreciate any suggestions of books that would be suitable for Avi.
Thank you

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:03 am
Approximately how old are they?

https://www.friendshipcircle.o.....eeds/

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:14 am
Depends on the age. The only book that comes to my mind is “Labels for Laibel.”
Years ago I actually joined the Jewish library to be able to borrow books for my son which would stress good middos. There are many children’s books that stress middos.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:21 am
For an older child, one of the stories in the book Kaleidoscope (Kornbluth, Hachai) deals with a teen who is embarrassed of his special needs brother and is mean/avoids him in school.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:01 am
Avoid Cain and Abel, Esau and Jacob!

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:31 am
How old are we talking? Wonder is great but it's for older kids, my son just read it in 5th grade and I've heard of many schools teaching it in 7th or 8th. For younger kids the Yossi and Laibel series is definitely good for that theme.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:37 am
imasinger wrote:
Approximately how old are they?

https://www.friendshipcircle.o.....eeds/

I just realized what your Friendship Circle link was. I was thinking you were telling her about FC. OP, is there one nearby? Maybe an outsider could be helpful, and maybe they have sib programming.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:01 am
Thank you imasinger for you Friendship Circle link. The books look very interesting.
As for the actual Friendship group, the boy's mother is very shy and keeps herself to herself.
Both boys are 10+.
I am more looking for a way that Avi can do some self help because he is a sweet boy but I don't think he understands what is expected of him so I want to give him positive vibes.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you imasinger for you Friendship Circle link. The books look very interesting.
As for the actual Friendship group, the boy's mother is very shy and keeps herself to herself.
Both boys are 10+.
I am more looking for a way that Avi can do some self help because he is a sweet boy but I don't think he understands what is expected of him so I want to give him positive vibes.

She might keep to herself but what about letting her kids participate?

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:28 am
There are several books in the Wonder series. (reader discretion advised, but you did say the boys are 10+)

The books are written from different perspectives of the characters (at least the few I read)

This way every participant in the dynamic feels heard and understood... And not just dismissed because how dare he be upset when the special needs sib annoys him...

Info on the series, I just googled and picked the first link:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/se.....3995/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics