Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Florida mothers that work- need advice!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:09 am
How do you get your hs children to school if you are working and have to be at work earlier than school opens?

I just moved to town and I am trying to figure out how to make it work. My daughter's hs starts later and I would have to be at work about 40 minutes before I can even drop them off.My husband isn't available to do it.
I am looking for ideas-what do ppl do?
Before I moved, my hs kids had a bus

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:36 am
You can hire a private bus/taxi service to come pick them up daily. Best if you join in with a few other families to lower the cost.

Not sure where you live... Something like this: https://brickellkidzbus.com/prices/

Sorry I don't have a specific recommendation, I just know the service exists in the Miami area because my parents utilized it when I was a kid.

MiriW

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:14 am
I do live in Miami, but my suggestion isn't specific to Miami. Many ppl pay other parents to take their children to and from school. Or possibly a teacher would be willing to drive for pay.

tichellady

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:48 am
I grew up with carpooling ( not in Florida, but no busses). Is that an option for you

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:55 am
Thank you for the idea!
I looked and that service doesn't go to my area. I'm in Boca but on the west side. I haven't found anyone that sends there kids to my girls hs. Most people near me send to the hs that is much closer.
I'm trying to find a carpool but new to the area so haven't found anyone.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:56 am
My city does not have bussing for HS either. Everyone carpools.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the idea!
I looked and that service doesn't go to my area. I'm in Boca but on the west side. I haven't found anyone that sends there kids to my girls hs. Most people near me send to the hs that is much closer.
I'm trying to find a carpool but new to the area so haven't found anyone.

I'd google "door to door school bus Boca Raton" and see what you find

https://www.slamboca.com/m/new.....;id=0

I found that, maybe you can call them and see if the service still exists (article is from 2019)

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:12 am
I don't live in Florida but I am curious.
Is there no public transport?
And if not, what do teens do? They have no independence to go anywhere on their own?

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
I don't live in Florida but I am curious.
Is there no public transport?
And if not, what do teens do? They have no independence to go anywhere on their own?

Practically you need to drive everywhere. Most public transportation isn't reliable or very good. There are exceptions of course (the public transportation system in Gainesville is pretty decent), but until you get a driver's license, you're pretty much at the whim of other pwople who can drive you places. It helps that our driving age is low (15 for permit, 16 for license)

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:27 am
I grew up in the suburbs we all drove or had older friends who drove us places or we walked to friends houses in the neighborhood. I dont remember it being a huge deal.

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:48 am
Try Uber

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:54 am
shaqued_almond wrote:
Try Uber

Every morning?

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:58 am
Maybe call the school for names of students who live nearby so you can reach out about carpooling?
If there aren't any, it's probably because people chose the closer school so as to not have this issue...and then you will have to find out about paying a regular driver. Even if you find just 1 other girl, it helps to split the cost.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:03 pm
Wow. As an Israeli whose kids are pretty much independent to go where they want from age 14, this is quite interesting. (My 15 year old just went to the Tel Aviv amusement park with friends. We live in a different city. On train and buses).

16 and 17 year olds need to be driven daily to school if they don't have their own car?
In the evening, if their friends don't have cars, and if their parents need the car(s), they are essentially stuck at home?

I didnt know that about Florida.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:05 pm
Wow. As an Israeli whose kids are pretty much independent to go where they want from age 14, this is quite interesting. (My 15 year old just went to the Tel Aviv amusement park with friends. We live in a different city. On train and buses).

16 and 17 year olds need to be driven daily to school if they don't have their own car?
In the evening, if their friends don't have cars, and if their parents need the car(s), they are essentially stuck at home?

There are a very few cities that have reliable safe public transportation. Like NY or Boston. Most don't.
But rarely between cities, in any case. Don't forget, Israel is a much smaller country. And doesn't have anything like the suburban sprawl the way America does. To get to an amusement park in another city via public transportation could take all day, literally.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:07 pm

Yes this is pretty much reality about living in the suburbs. It's likely that your kids school will not be in walking distance and there often isn't really public transportation. It's a cost-benefit analysis of living in such a place.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:09 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
There are a very few cities that have reliable public transportation. Like NY or Boston. Most don't.
But rarely between cities, in any case. Don't forget, Israel is a much smaller country. And doesn't have anything like the suburban sprawl the way America does. To get to an amusement park in another city could take all day, literally.

That's a huge pity.
I grew up in a small city in Canada and we had basic but decent public transport. I took two buses to get to school every day. No one was driven by parents.

Public transport is so important IMO.
Anyway, op, sorry for the spinoff, I will step out so you can get more relevant replies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children