Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Uber eats delivery tip
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:10 am
Just saw this in the tip box of my uber eats order:

Delivery people are critical to our communities at this time. Add a tip to say thanks.

what in the world? who wrote this? ubereats or the kosher restaurant?

this bothered me and I want some perspective on delivery tips.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:18 am
Of course you need to tip the delivery person.
Why would you think you don’t?

When I order, there is a delivery fee and you still need to tip the delivery person 15%

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:24 am
My question is if ubereats is the one complaining about "our community" or if it coming from the store?

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:29 am
Ubereats

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:29 am
It comes from uber. They're not singling out your community, everyone sees this message. Why wouldn't you tip the delivery person?

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My question is if ubereats is the one complaining about "our community" or if it coming from the store?

Where do you see a complaint? This is a reminder to tip the delivery person. It looks like it is part of the Uber Eats platform. The community is your local one; those who need or want food to be delivered and those who depend on the tips as part of their pay. Remember, community expends past the daled amos of our frum velt.

What bothers you about this?

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:31 am
You are over thinking this. Communities is used to describe all kinds of neighborhoods especially in terms of delivery services during the pandemic. It just is a word that is intended to invoke a feeling of solidarity and is nit limited to frum if that is what you are implying.

Whether it is Uber or the restaurant, what difference is it because people should be reminded that delivery people need tips to make a living wage.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:58 am
Lately Uber eats delivery guys are accepting a few Orders at a time.
That means the food always arrives much later than it should and it arrives cold.
I don't tip a driver that accepts another order while taking my order.

(Also there is no expected tip amount, or the tip would be deducted automatically.)

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:01 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
That means the food always arrives much later than it should and it arrives cold.

(Also there is no expected tip amount, or the tip would be deducted automatically.)

That is not true and not nice.
If you have issue, pick up your own food.
It is often their own car and the tip from one order may barely cover gas. Of course they try to get multiple orders in each run.
They are barely paid if at all and are working for a parnassa.

Ma3

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:02 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:

They are allowed to take more orders in the same vicinity. If you don't want that to happen, you have to select priority delivery. IMO, it's not nice to not tip. This goes for all deliveries, not just Uber eats.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:23 pm
Amarante wrote:
You are over thinking this. Communities is used to describe all kinds of neighborhoods especially in terms of delivery services during the pandemic. It just is a word that is intended to invoke a feeling of solidarity and is nit limited to frum if that is what you are implying.

Whether it is Uber or the restaurant, what difference is it because people should be reminded that delivery people need tips to make a living wage.

For sure overthinking it.
makes sense it is just a cute way to remind to tip

I was bothered in case it was ubereats singling out our frum neighborhood... and wondering why my lovely jewish community wasn't tipping.. maybe I am the only one.. etc. and if it was coming from the store I was wondering why they weren't speaking nicely of our community.

thank you for clarifying!!!

momof2+?

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:24 pm
I may be remembering incorrectly- but doesn’t ubereats just give you an option of how much to tip? Automatically it’s 15%, but you can choose between 10% and higher. They may have a blank option, which I guess you may type in zero?

Editing to add, I am pretty sure it once told me “it’s raining- tip you driver even more than usual to show how much you appreciate their work.”
I found that a little funny, but it didn’t bother me.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
That is not true and not nice.
If you have issue, pick up your own food.
It is often their own car and the tip from one order may barely cover gas. Of course they try to get multiple orders in each run.
They are barely paid if at all and are working for a parnassa.

They come by bike. I never had an Uber eats guy come by car.
If it takes them 45 minutes to deliver a cold pizza from 5 blocks away they are absolutely not getting a tip.
Uber eats charges for the service too.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:31 pm
I wonder if UberEATS shows tips to the driver before he accepts. I know that instacart which I use frequently shows the tips and so a shopper has the ability to choose orders with higher tips. I think doordash shows tips to the driver as well.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
I wonder if UberEATS shows tips to the driver before he accepts. I know that instacart which I use frequently shows the tips and so a shopper has the ability to choose orders with higher tips. I think doordash shows tips to the driver as well.

You can tip after the order was delivered so I don't know how they would see that before.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:33 pm
Amarante wrote:

A coworker that works for Uber eats on the weekends told me that you don't see the tip beforehand.

singleagain

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:35 pm
Amarante wrote:

We actually had that for our personal shoppers in store. And they took that away bc then the shoppers were all grabbing the higher tips and not paying attention to the lesser tips.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:35 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
You can tip after the order was delivered so I don't know how they would see that before.

I have never used UberEATS.

With instacart and door dash you can tip when you place the order. You can decrease or increase after delivery but it is better to tip when you place the order so the person knows it. This is especially true with instacart since someone is also shopping and you will get a more experienced highly rated shopper if you make your order more attractive with a good tip.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:37 pm
Amarante wrote:

They do. That’s why if your community doesn’t believe in tipping, there will be less drivers in the area, which leads to more expensive delivery fees and delayed deliveries.

Also, if you're not tipping, there's no way a driver can make money by picking up only your order, so you're kind of forcing them to take another order.

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:39 pm
It’s from ubereats
Please tip as much as you can. The delivery people earn very little money on the deliveries themselves
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette