Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Uber eats delivery tip
Previous  1  2

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just saw this in the tip box of my uber eats order:

Delivery people are critical to our communities at this time. Add a tip to say thanks.

what in the world? who wrote this? ubereats or the kosher restaurant?

this bothered me and I want some perspective on delivery tips.

Didn't see anyone picking up on this.

OP, the meaning of the sentence (key word "to") is that delivery people are vital for our communities (ie, society) at this time.

Critical to =very (uber?) important
Critical of = complaining about

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:48 pm
"our community" means "our customers."

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:06 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
They come by bike. I never had an Uber eats guy come by car.
If it takes them 45 minutes to deliver a cold pizza from 5 blocks away they are absolutely not getting a tip.
Uber eats charges for the service too.

The temperature or quality of the pizza is not the delivery person's fault. When it takes 45 minutes to get your pizza, it's also not his fault. The pizzeria had to make the pizza, you know? They may have been filling a previous order for 50 pizzas to deliver to an institution or a huge party. You really think the delivery guy went out bird-watching, leaving your pizza to cool? He has a job to do; the more he delivers the more he makes, unless customers stiff him for the tip. (I won't mention any names but the initials are...)

You should know that delivery people often make much, much less than minimum wage because the assumption is that the tips will make up the shortfall. This is unjust but currently 100% legal. Don't believe me? Check with your state Labor Dept under something like Labor Standards or Wages and Hours.

https://www.pmq.com/5-things-p.....vers/

https://www.forthepeople.com/l.....vers/

Many employers violate these laws with impunity because delivery people are seldom aware of their rights. Often they are immigrants with little or no English. Even if they aware that they are being exploited, they are usually afraid to complain to the authorities.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:59 pm
zaq wrote:
The temperature or quality of the pizza is not the delivery person's fault. When it takes 45 minutes to get your pizza, it's also not his fault. The pizzeria had to make the pizza, you know? They may have been filling a previous order for 50 pizzas to deliver to an institution or a huge party. You really think the delivery guy went out bird-watching, leaving your pizza to cool? He has a job to do; the more he delivers the more he makes, unless customers stiff him for the tip. (I won't mention any names but the initials are...)

You should know that delivery people often make much, much less than minimum wage because the assumption is that the tips will make up the shortfall. This is unjust but currently 100% legal. Don't believe me? Check with your state Labor Dept under something like Labor Standards or Wages and Hours.

https://www.pmq.com/5-things-p.....vers/

https://www.forthepeople.com/l.....vers/

Many employers violate these laws with impunity because delivery people are seldom aware of their rights. Often they are immigrants with little or no English. Even if they aware that they are being exploited, they are usually afraid to complain to the authorities.

You can see what time the guy picks up the pizza.
If I see it took 45 minutes from the store to my house because he made 2 stops midway, I would not tip.
If Uber wants to pay the guys more they can charge more to begin with.

If you were at a restaurant and it took them an hour to bring your order would it not affect how you tip?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:41 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
You can see what time the guy picks up the pizza.
If I see it took 45 minutes from the store to my house because he made 2 stops midway, I would not tip.
If Uber wants to pay the guys more they can charge more to begin with.

If you were at a restaurant and it took them an hour to bring your order would it not affect how you tip?

Again it's not the delivery guy's fault that they gave him three orders to deliver at one time. And for all you know, the first stop was to an old couple who didn't hear the bell and took 15 minutes to come to the door, while the second delivery was to a hassled mom whose two-year-old twins ran out into the street when she opened the door and she had to run out in her slippers and nightie and catch the kids, who had run off in opposite directions. Or maybe he got beaten up by racist thugs on the way, or was robbed.

food delivery is a dangerous, poorly-paid, unpleasant job. The workers live with the knowledge that for a few bucks they may get robbed, beaten, stabbed, even killed. Have a little rachmones. You've heard of "do unto others as you would have others do unto you"?

To answer your question: if it took an hour to get my order, I wouldn't penalize the waiter. I would let the manager or owner know my displeasure and probably not go back to that eatery. The only reason I would penalize a waiter would be for HIS poor service: iow if he was rude, disrespectful, sloppy, threw the dishes down on the table, pretended not to see me when I tried to get his attention, wouldn't answer my questions or fulfill my requests for an extra fork, a salt shaker or more water.

Ma3

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:32 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
They come by bike. I never had an Uber eats guy come by car.
If it takes them 45 minutes to deliver a cold pizza from 5 blocks away they are absolutely not getting a tip.
Uber eats charges for the service too.

You can complain to Uber about that. I know a local store that does Uber eats, but not on their pizza for that reason. It may take a while from when food is ready till a driver is available to get it. But the driver did his duty, whether you get cold food or not. Complaints should go to restaurant or/and Ubereats.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:54 pm
Where I live, tipping is not accepted.

I'd rather it was this way. Better to be charged once a set amount than tipping, and often being guilted into giving more. It also ensures the delivery guy gets paid at least the minimum salary.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:59 pm
zaq wrote:
Again it's not the delivery guy's fault that they gave him three orders to deliver at one time. And for all you know, the first stop was to an old couple who didn't hear the bell and took 15 minutes to come to the door, while the second delivery was to a hassled mom whose two-year-old twins ran out into the street when she opened the door and she had to run out in her slippers and nightie and catch the kids, who had run off in opposite directions. Or maybe he got beaten up by racist thugs on the way, or was robbed.

food delivery is a dangerous, poorly-paid, unpleasant job. The workers live with the knowledge that for a few bucks they may get robbed, beaten, stabbed, even killed. Have a little rachmones. You've heard of "do unto others as you would have others do unto you"?

To answer your question: if it took an hour to get my order, I wouldn't penalize the waiter. I would let the manager or owner know my displeasure and probably not go back to that eatery. The only reason I would penalize a waiter would be for HIS poor service: iow if he was rude, disrespectful, sloppy, threw the dishes down on the table, pretended not to see me when I tried to get his attention, wouldn't answer my questions or fulfill my requests for an extra fork, a salt shaker or more water.

Do you know how Uber works? They don't give him 3 routes.
The guy accepts 3 deliveries.
If he wouldn't accept that many jobs the food wouldn't arrive cold.

You can track the deliveries and see how many stops they make on the way.

You can also see how long it took from when the food got ready until they picked it up. (How many stops they made until they went for my order.)
You can track everything.
Uber is a already charging me a delivery fee.
I am not paying extra if it was the delivery guys fault.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:30 pm
Not tipping is cheap and a chillul Hashem.
If you don’t want to tip, pick up your own food. If you can’t afford the tip, don’t order delivery.

Not tipping is really just not nice. it shows a complete lack of respect for people who have lower class jobs. I’m also wondering, if your cleaning help is washing your good china and it accidentally breaks one, do you charge her for it?
Do you not pay your doctor when you have to wait in the waiting room for an appointment? Do you not pay Rabbi his salary, if you’re shailahs aren’t answered fast enough? Do you pay tuition if you don’t like the class that your child was placed in?I wish everything was perfect, but it’s not.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:58 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
Not tipping is cheap and a chillul Hashem.
If you don’t want to tip, pick up your own food. If you can’t afford the tip, don’t order delivery.

Not tipping is really just not nice. it shows a complete lack of respect for people who have lower class jobs. I’m also wondering, if your cleaning help is washing your good china and it accidentally breaks one, do you charge her for it?
Do you not pay your doctor when you have to wait in the waiting room for an appointment? Do you not pay Rabbi his salary, if you’re shailahs aren’t answered fast enough? Do you pay tuition if you don’t like the class that your child was placed in?I wish everything was perfect, but it’s not.

You're making it sound like there is no additional delivery charge.
A tip is a bonus.
It makes sense if the amount of the tip reflects the service.
Most waiters and delivery guys know this.
They usually try to give better service if they want the tip.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette