Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career troubles

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:52 am
I'm really struggling with my career.
I work as a preschool teacher, but I'm getting a M.Ed in special ed because I prefer that kind of work, specializing with a smaller group of kids, to classroom teaching. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at understanding/ building relationships with kids with special learning needs, and a lot more patient than most morot.

I need to be making way more money than I am and to have better hours to actually be able to raise my own children. Most people tell me to switch to teaching public school for the better pay and shorter days, but teaching kodesh is actually the only part of my job that makes me feel like I am doing something worthwhile.

My family really needs my income (actually, they need more than my income...)but I am feeling so blah about everything work wise these days. I don;t really feel like I have very many options, since I didn't do that well in college and am struggling to write a coherent thesis for my masters program.
It feels like I am not actually cut out for anything work- wise. I feel like I would thrive as a stay at home mom, but that's just not an option for me.
My husband also kind of looks down on my work. He was raised in a wealthy community and we still live in the type of community where number of degrees/educational institution/ job title confers status. Obviously, I can't compete. I don't know what to do. I feel worse than useless.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:17 pm
Maybe working in special Ed and making a difference in the life of needy students will give you that same feeling.
I worked with those kids in the public school setting for many years, and seeing their growth was a very, very satisfying feeling. The kids were very respectful and appreciative, and looked up to me. Same for the parents. Most of them! Lol.
Most frum people hear "public school" and automatically think urban inner city with violent behavior but that's actually a small percentage of them (its just frum communities tend to be in urban areas). There are some very good ones around, like the one I worked in. Smile

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:27 pm
Does your community have jewish special ed programs that you can work in? I have a friend that left public school to work in my boys school and she would not have if the pay was that low.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:32 pm
Are you enterpreneurial at all? Would you want to someday run or own a large daycare facility, not necessarily Jewish, the type that has classes from infant all the way through kindergarten?

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:20 pm
What does dh do?

ora_43

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 1:44 pm
Your job is important and you're good at it. And on top of that you're getting a Masters.

Why are you feeling inferior, even in a snobby community?

I think you could consider switching to the job with the better pay and better hours. Maybe try it for a year, see if it turns out to be personally meaningful for you after all. But if you choose to stay in your current job because it's meaningful to you, that's also a great choice and certainly nothing to feel inferior about.

(If the issue is mostly the thesis, pm me and I can try to help)

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 2:28 pm
First of all, you need a self-esteem check. Do you know how rare it is to be an amazing teacher? And not just that, but to be one that actually WANTS to do special ed? Get that degree in special education! That's an amazing degree!!!

There are actually a ton of frum kids in public schools, so you would be doing them a WORLD of difference. Take it from me, I would kill to have a frum teacher, because those are the ones that actually care.

Get that degree, find the public school that has frum kids, and boom! You get the trifecta - more money, less hours, and you're making a difference in the world. And, you get street cred with your community, and a PENSION, which is more than most of them will ever get.

You're amazing, OP!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics