Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Microwave in a cabinet?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:34 pm
I’m getting a new kitchen installed and don’t like the look of a microwave over the stove. I was thinking of placing it in a cabinet and asking my electrician to put an outlet in there and use the microwave that way. Is it safe? Can it ruin my cabinet?

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:32 pm
You don't ever want to put anything that generates heat inside an enclosed cabinet. The heat generated may not only ruin the cabinet--it will definitely discolor it , at the very least, and probably warp or melt plastic components--but it may also ruin the microwave by frying the electronics. Worse still, the heat, having no means of escape, could start a fire.

s c

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:04 pm
I put both my microwaves in cabinets since we don't use them that much and I wanted to free up the space on my counters. I've had no issues whatsoever either with my cabinets or the microwaves themselves. They have enough space around them in the cupboard for good ventilation and we open the door when we are actually using them. That said, it wouldn't be that convenient if we were using them all the time.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:12 pm
s c wrote:
I put both my microwaves in cabinets since we don't use them that much and I wanted to free up the space on my counters. I've had no issues whatsoever either with my cabinets or the microwaves themselves. They have enough space around them in the cupboard for good ventilation and we open the door when we are actually using them. That said, it wouldn't be that convenient if we were using them all the time.

Same. Did it with my fleishig microwave that doesn't get used often

Elfrida

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:16 pm
Make sure to leave the door open when you are using it and it should be fine.

Also, make sure the cabinet is at a convenient height to check what is happening with the food, and to lift out hot plates without too much risk of spilling.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:32 pm
You can do it with sufficient clearance because it generates heat. Check for manufacturers specifications.

My friend did this and also installed a pull out shelf so that there is something to put stuff when she is taking it in or out.

I solved the problem by having a microwave drawer which is installed under my wall oven. They are both at perfect safe heights for me.

Motherhood

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:33 pm
My parents have their microwave in a cabinet for the last 20 years. Was never an issue.

etky

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:49 pm
I have mine in an open cabinet right over my wall oven, at a convenient height.
Many people here keep theirs in a closed cabinet with a hinged door that is raised up when they are using the oven.
I never understood the point of this. Having to raise the door each time seems like such an encumbrance. Alternately -keeping it in the raised position is also awkward because it blocks access to the cabinet above and is just so convoluted looking.
Maybe it works for people who don't use their microwave very often.
We use it all the time so the open cabinet is a perfect solution.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen