Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation question out of the box:)
1  2  Next

frum violinist

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 6:53 pm
is there anyone out there who couldn't afford a vacation and is feeling a little sad:(
summer is coming to an end and I had to deal with a lot of emotions around not being able to afford a vacation with my family. my dream is to go to cypress for a month:) whats yours?

frum violinist

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:08 pm
could some one please answer so I wont feel so alone:)

lk1234

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:11 pm
frum violinist wrote:
could some one please answer so I wont feel so alone:)

Yes same- I was not able to get away. I'd love two weeks in Yerushalayim with a bit of touring around Israel.

One day England and Italy.

Be"h next year you should be able to afford a beautiful vacation beravchus.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:12 pm
I resent it because the reason I can't afford it is because I'm paying full child support to my ex husband even though we have 50/50 custody...because that's what NYS allows and he demanded it.

And then I watch him and his wife go on large vacations a few times a year, and small ones every month.

While I rub two pennies together alone and actually make sure the kids are in school.

7 more years until iyh the younger is 21.

I just want to go somewhere that requires me to do nothing to feed myself and my kids and I can just have quiet time and everyone self entertains.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:13 pm
I save money very slowly throughout the year and take a few days somewhere in nature. It’s very very hard when you’re not able to go anywhere.

frum violinist

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:15 pm
thanks for the responses:)
BH we are a kollel family. and we BH get through the month and dont have anything left over for extras. yeah- a tiny littly 2 day get away for me and my husband once in a while but no big beautiful summer vacations......

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:02 pm
I hear you OP. We are also a kollel family and my work schedule doesn't correspond w bein hazmanim schedule besides for the fact that we can't afford a big trip. Since our kids are little, we are going to go away for one night, do one small activity the afternoon we go away, sleep in a hotel using points, and go to a farm or good indoor play place the next day. Sending hugs and try to see if you can do something small that wouldn't cost too much or be too much work to pull together for a day trip/ or two days....Since it sounds like you would really love to do something.

small bean

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:06 pm
Drive half hour away and camp. Practically costs almost nothing.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:07 pm
frum violinist wrote:
is there anyone out there who couldn't afford a vacation and is feeling a little sad:(
summer is coming to an end and I had to deal with a lot of emotions around not being able to afford a vacation with my family. my dream is to go to cypress for a month:) whats yours?

I have two dreams…..I want to go all over Europe, and I want to go all over England/Scotland/Whales, and see all the castles.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:09 pm
We have never been on a "real" vacation if that makes you feel better. Many people don't and if they do it's not a yearly occurrence. Initially we didnt because we were in kollel and couldn't afford it. Now my husband works and bh makes a decent salary but we pay tuition which eats up a huge portion of our paychecks so we still wouldn't be able to afford a lavish vacation. And aside from all that, both my husband and myself have to save up our vacation days for yom tov.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:10 pm
Yes I really wish we had some vaca time. I completely feel for you. A little more than just financial reasons (but still a factor) my husband and I havent left our kids or house for two years. I would love any semblenace to a vacation- but at this point it would probably be so much work on our part, that we couldn't relax much anyway. Hope you can getaway soon. Even if it means chagim by family, trust me- dont discount that.

fmt4

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:13 pm
frum violinist wrote:

Cyprus Smile

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:15 pm
In reality we can afford it, however my husband is extremely cautious about spending money or being "wasteful".
We are both professionals, work very hard...but never ever go on vacations/family trips. I feel sad for my kids as they watch all their friends leave the city on vacations...year after year.

lasagna

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:20 pm
I get the feeling the lavish "fly to somewhere exotic" vacations could easily be reproduced and just as enjoyable nearby. My husband and I just went on a vacation within an hour of our home and had a relative watch the kids for a reasonable price. Hotel was paid for with points and we brought food and also ate out at an affordable bagel place (paid for with points/gift card from insurance). We just enjoyed the time together, and spent little of our limited time traveling bec it was close. Beautiful lake view too!

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:24 pm
Same. Iyh one day we'll be able to afford a even a small vacation. Dh and I haven't gone away anywhere together in the 7 years we've been married (aside from a siblings wedding). This past winter vacation we took our daughter to hotel in an area about 35 minutes away, stayed for one night and went swimming in the pool there, then the next day we spent the day at a nearby mall, and called it a vacation. It was cute, it was ok. Not my ideal getaway, but what we can afford for now. Eventually I'd like to get to the new England area during the fall (Vermont, new Hampshire, Maine), Banff, and Hawaii. Would love to go to Israel again (was there for sem), but I think of that as less of a vacation and more of a spiritual trip.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:24 pm
Married 11 years ... our only "real vacation" was the 2nd year of our marriage when my in-laws gave us 3 days at their time share on a lake. Two years ago we got an AirBNB and visited family for a week. Our oldest two are going to 3 day sleep away next week and my parents are watching the younger ones so DH and I can have a night in a hotel. Mortgage & tuition take priority, that's life!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 2:57 am
Wales Smile

(Unless your name is Jonah)

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 3:16 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I have two dreams…..I want to go all over Europe, and I want to go all over England/Scotland/Whales, and see all the castles.

Me too!
And I would love to take in a Welsh choral festival. (Sigh).
My oldest dc just had a blast in camp, so now every penny saved will be for tuition / mortgage / camp.

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 3:40 am
For many years we couldn’t afford to go anywhere so we pretended that we were going on a grand vacation and packed our bags to go to my parents for shabbos. We hardly go to them because we really don’t like it there but when we’re desperate to get away we go. Sometimes we just go out to eat at the pizza store and sit in a park for a while and that’s our whole vacation. You’re not the only one who doesn’t go away.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 3:40 am
frum violinist wrote:

If you live in Brooklyn, I can direct you to Cypress Ave in Seagate Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics