Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would one or two therapy sessions be helpful?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:39 pm
Would one or two therapy sessions for dh and myself be helpful in regard to the following situation:
Ds 7 is smart, funny well liked put together bright quick etc.
he is also super shy. He has friends in school (not the athletic kids) and one or two friends in the neighborhood but he’s an introvert and really does not enjoy seeking out play dates. If someone comes here he will play but he’s perfectly happy to play Lego or read or play with his siblings and me.
Last year he went to a basketball league. He isn’t athletic but enjoyed the shtickiness of it and I was happy that he learned the ropes of the game. This year he is refusing to sign up. Even though at the end of the season last year he was psyched to do it again this year!
I asked if he’d want to do a different group like magic lessons or music or karate. He said yes but then asked if there would be other kids in the group. When I said yes, he refused. He said it’s because he is shy.
I am at a loss of whether I should push him. And also if he should be in therapy for his anxiety and if dh and I should go as well.
(I have anxiety and dh is uptight. We are working on ourselves but not in therapy at the moment.) is it useless to send my son if he lives with parents who are anxious and uptight? Is it necessary to send him? What do you all think?

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:04 pm
Because he won’t go to after school groups? No. If it comes up in more scenarios over time then you’ll need more than 1-2 sessions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:15 pm
Stars wrote:
Because he won’t go to after school groups? No. If it comes up in more scenarios over time then you’ll need more than 1-2 sessions.

If he doesn’t want to go to after school groups even though he went and enjoyed last year, wouldn’t it be considered that his anxiety is interfering with life?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:59 pm
No. Why does he have to do thst, especially if he plays with other kids. He's an introvert. Leave him be.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:01 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
No. Why does he have to do thst, especially if he plays with other kids. He's an introvert. Leave him be.

It’s just that he enjoyed it last year. I wonder if this means he is regressing or letting his anxiety take hold.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:01 pm
He was probably bullied.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s just that he enjoyed it last year. I wonder if this means he is regressing or letting his anxiety take hold.

introverts can enjoy such things but doesn't necessarily want to do them. You can ask a professional to feel calmer but I I think not to pressure him.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:11 pm
I am an introvert so I know it’s possible to genuinely not be interested. But I remember feeling left out as a kid… I don’t want that for him

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:09 pm
I don't think this warrants therapy.
Just let it go, modeling anxiety about his anxiety will not help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics