Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Klutz asking: Which Kitchen cabinets are the best for me if

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:04 pm
Which type of Kitchen cabinets (brand/type would be helpful too) are the best for me if Im a Klutz with my cabinets always getting wet from splashing water from nearby faucets, washing dishes, etc.

Which cabinets are most likely to withstand the abuse, and not disintegrate?

Tia

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:31 pm
Stay far away from painted cabinets.

Either stained wood or a TSS high pressure laminate surface in a well-made and well-finished cabinet: https://www.wellsfordcabinetry...../#tts
The TSS surfaces usually have a furniture board substrate so make sure the cabinet box has a finished bottom.

Also consider an apron front sink which will help protect the front of the sink cabinet: https://directsinks.com/collec.....-sink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:16 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Stay far away from painted cabinets.

Either stained wood or a TSS high pressure laminate surface in a well-made and well-finished cabinet: https://www.wellsfordcabinetry...../#tts
The TSS surfaces usually have a furniture board substrate so make sure the cabinet box has a finished bottom.

Also consider an apron front sink which will help protect the front of the sink cabinet: https://directsinks.com/collec.....-sink

Thanks!

If I prefer a white or very light cabinet door, what do you recommend?

And the sink with apron will help a little, but all my current cabinets that are anywhere near the sinks look awful from water damage, so which white/light cabinets are the best for a Klutz like me?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:44 pm
1A) Look at a laminate such as Strata (I linked to it above) for a white or near-white textured surface. The laminate is very durable but the door and drawer substrate is mdf; a weak point is that water might get into cracks at the edges. most laminates are not available with a plywood cabinet box.

1B) Or HGL acrylic — that's an acrylic glossy smooth surface available in white. Again, water could get into cracks at the edges if not sealed well, and the door and drawer substrate is mdf. Super-matte is a similar product but not glossy. I have seen these with a plywood box, and have an HGL acrylic kitchen with plywood cabinet boxes on order for a client now.

1C) Or aluminum doors with white translucent glass panels — aluminum doors can get very expensive — for the base cabinets. Use rollouts instead of regular drawers even for the top drawer. The aluminum & glass doors would be waterproof and would protect everything behind them. Frameless cabinets, plywood cabinet box, HGL or matte acrylic.

2) Make sure your counter overhang extends at least 1-1/2" beyond the door frame and your case 1-3/4" would be better. I would want an eased or pencil edge if using granite. Or a marine edge with a stainless steel counter (not so common).

You might also look into outdoor kitchens. They tend to be metal.

my mama

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:18 pm
I would go with acrylic. I love the look and maintenance is super easy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen