Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Developmental milestones
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 6:50 am
FTM here

I'm a SLP so I know speech/language milestones but I don't know motor milestones!

Are any OTs/PTs able to chime in and share some things my baby should be accomplishing?

She'll be 7 months on tuesday iyh

She's not sitting on her own so well. She'll sit for a few seconds and then tilt over... When I hold her arms she'll stand strongly on her legs and then sit down and then use her leg strength to stand again.

hodeez

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 6:52 am
My son was like that until mid 8 months. He's bh doing well now at 13 months.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:05 am
hodeez wrote:
My son was like that until mid 8 months. He's bh doing well now at 13 months.

She doesnt like sitting
for 5 mins a day Ill have her sit and hold her under her armpits gently so she builds up muscles for it but lately shes been leaning into me or tilting backwards and only gets happy when I pick her up and she is standing on my thighs

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:56 am
One of mine was only sitting securely after 9mo, and another was by 4mo, so there isn't a real definition of normal.
How is your dd on her tummy?-she should be able to roll over, lift her head, reach for toys. That to me is more important than being able to sit yet. Her trunk (core muscles) might not be strong enough to support herself when sitting.
She needs to build up her body strength when on her tummy so if she's happy with that, I would let her play like that.
Ideally when doing sitting with her, you want to be giving her support at the hips, and she needs to learn how to control her upper body, so you would start by holding her at the shoulders, and slowly moving that support downwards until you're holding her at the hips to keep her steady.
But if she's not ready yet, don't worry, if that's her only issue, it sounds well within normal range. You can also prop her in a u-shaped pillow, like the nursing pillows so she has support around her and put some toys for her to play with.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:56 am
She doesnt need to build muscles. Leave her alone. Lots of floor time and no bouncers.
-Mom of the other thread

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:15 am
thanks.
she likes being on her belly but she'll roll over to her back
she isnt always interested in toys sometimes she just likes sucking on her fingers and shaking some toys I give her

just asking re evaluation because I'm very into EI for speech so I didn't want to miss being aware of things she should be doing now (typically, ofc its a range)

jd1212

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:29 am
Did you ask your pediatrician? That’s part of his or her job to assess milestone progress.

To say there is “no normal” is not true. There is a large range after which it becomes appropriate to seek advice on exercises to try yourself or EI.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks.
she isnt always interested in toys sometimes she just likes sucking on her fingers and shaking some toys I give her

just asking re evaluation because I'm very into EI for speech so I didn't want to miss being aware of things she should be doing now (typically, ofc its a range)

Important things are happening as she discovers her fingers. It's OK if she doesn't play w toys.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
FTM here

I'm a SLP so I know speech/language milestones but I don't know motor milestones!

Are any OTs/PTs able to chime in and share some things my baby should be accomplishing?

She'll be 7 months on tuesday iyh

She's not sitting on her own so well. She'll sit for a few seconds and then tilt over... When I hold her arms she'll stand strongly on her legs and then sit down and then use her leg strength to stand again.

It is better to crawl before they sit. Also there is a difference between staying seated and sitting up.
In general they hold head, roll over, scoot, crawl, pull up, stand walk. Those are the milestones in my country. Sitting is not so important.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She doesnt like sitting
for 5 mins a day Ill have her sit and hold her under her armpits gently so she builds up muscles for it but lately shes been leaning into me or tilting backwards and only gets happy when I pick her up and she is standing on my thighs

Why do you want. her to sit so badly? it doesn't promote further development. You should stimulate her to start moving around.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
It is better to crawl before they sit. Also there is a difference between staying seated and sitting up.
In general they hold head, roll over, scoot, crawl, pull up, stand walk. Those are the milestones in my country. Sitting is not so important.

I don’t think this is correct. Many babies sit before crawling and sitting is very important. In the US not sitting is an issue after 9 months.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks.

What is your doctor saying about it?

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:50 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
I don’t think this is correct. Many babies sit before crawling and sitting is very important. In the US not sitting is an issue after 9 months.

Not sitting after 9 months would raise some eyebrows for sure, but lack of muscle tone that causes it would also prevent a baby from reaching a milestone from the list, like crawling etc.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:52 am

of course many babies sit before they crawl. But then they often end up not wanting to crawl at all, and that may negatively influence further mobility.
I had a baby who was so lazy, he was not motovated to move at all once he could sit.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:54 am
Not sitting after 9 months would raise some eyebrows for sure, but lack of muscle tone that causes it would also prevent a baby from reaching a milestone from the list, like crawling etc.

That’s not correct. My baby needed serious pt for crawling and waking yet she sat perfectly at 7 months. And she has low muscle tone.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:01 am
That’s not correct. My baby needed serious pt for crawling and waking yet she sat perfectly at 7 months. And she has low muscle tone.

This evidence doesn't contradict what I said. In fact it supports it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:01 am
What is your doctor saying about it?

were in israel atm before we left he told me he wants her to work on sitting more and if she still isnt able to when were back I should take her to pt for a bit

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
were in israel atm before we left he told me he wants her to work on sitting more and if she still isnt able to when were back I should take her to pt for a bit

Okay.

I agree with amother who insists on more tummy time though.
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:03 am
Doctors are not trained like we are and I often see on this board doctors pooh poohing parents concerns about milestones that babies SHOULD be reaching according to speech and language goals but doctors tell them not to worry and then at 24 months they're only starting to get evaluated...

I dont want that to occur with my baby but I am not trained in motor milestones.

Is there a PT or OT website like ASHA for milestones I could look up?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:04 am
Okay.

I agree with amother who insists on more tummy time though.
Good luck!

she gets a lot of tummy time and side playing time but she prefers flipping over to her back lately
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics