Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ADD diet that works

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 5:48 pm
DS8 is a bit impulsive and doesn't focus well on school work. He is smart and can do it when he is in the mood of it. What diet is recommended for improving this behavior?

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 5:50 pm
We didnt do a diet but we had mild to moderate success with giving Zinc, Magnesium and A very specific brand of Omega 3. We also give traditional medication but the fish oil especially makes a big difference. The others are harder to measure. My sons has a more severe case so we had to add the prescription medicine to have optimal success.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 6:15 pm
We personally found that red food coloring made a difference. We didn't try to avoid it specifically...It's just that he used to go to a learning program Motzai Shabbos and had an orange soda every week and his symptoms were out of control...except for on the weeks they ran out of orange soda and he had Coke, when he was totally fine. That's what tipped us off, and then we noticed it with other foods.

I honestly think that kids are all different, sensitive to different things. Keep an eye on him and see what triggers the more extreme behaviors, see if you can see a pattern.

I have ADHD, and I've noticed that chocolate makes me hyperfocus. So I use it only when I can afford to hyperfocus on something (or I at least try! But it's soooo good )

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:53 pm
There isn’t going to be one single diet that works across the board because add is a set of symptoms, but the causes are different in each case, and you want a diet that addresses your specific set of causes. That being said, the feingold diet has earned a reputation as being the gold standard for adhd, it focuses on eliminating phenols and salicylates, so if that’s an issue for your kid that can help. There’s also the gaps diet, if gut dysbiosis is your kids root cause this may be a good fit. There’s also the REID diet/unblind my mind, that focuses on free glutamate that people have success with. This book is more basic, it discusses eliminating certain foods on a trial basis, plus other nutritional supports https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....=8-1. This book has good information too https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1
All that being said, generally diet alone isn’t going to cut it, you’re going to need some other aggressive interventions if you’re serious about avoiding drugs.
FWIW, spaciness and lack of focus can be a symptom of hypothyroidism, so I’d want to rule that out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics