Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Vyvanse trouble

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:01 pm
Those of you with children on Vyvanse, did your insurance easily approve it? If not, how did you successfully get it approved?

My son is currently on Adderall but is crashing in the afternoon. The dr suggested Vyvanse but insurance won’t approve it unless he tries a few other medications first. I don’t want to put my son through more medications now. Vyvanse is the closest to Adderall and would have the most seamless transition. Why mess him up with other medications unnecessarily? I really want this sorted out before the new school year.

Any tips appreciated.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:05 pm
Been there done that. Have the doc prescribe two other meds and make beleive you gave it and then try to get vyvanse. (Or you can not make believe and give the other drugs and maybe you’ll get lucky!) I have two kids on vyvanse. Very happy with it. If your insurance mever approves it (I think Fidelis doesn’t like it) then you can change insurance. Good luck

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:17 pm
There’s a manufacturer savings card/coupon
https://www.vyvanse.com/coupon

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:18 pm
I have Fidelis with medicaid and my son has been on Vyvanse for a while but we took hiim off
tried adderall but he's crashing. [took him off cuz he was on 20 mg and we didn't see it being effective anymore - doc suggested switching instead of upping dose]
my son is 14. taking vyvanse sincee age 9

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:34 pm
Yes we have Fidelis. I’m otherwise happy with Fidelis and wouldn’t want to change. Fidelis claimed that he was denied because he didn’t try others first. Wondering what that means. Did you have to try all medications on that tryout list? And how long did you need to try each medication for before moving on?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:40 pm
My son was also on Adderall and he needed a midday booster. (1:00 he takes another small dose so that it lasts till late)
We also had a hard time receiving Vyvance.
He did very poorly on Vyvanse, he became manic while he was on it. Terrible experience.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:45 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
There’s a manufacturer savings card/coupon
https://www.vyvanse.com/coupon

It’s still a lot even with a coupon. The quoted price is after coupon with insurance. It’s a few hundred dollars normally.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:50 pm
That's why the insurance is playing this game. If something else less expensive works, they save money, and you are (hopefully) satisfied.

Didn't you try Ritalin/metadate (or its longer acting versions) before Adderall? Usually that's first on the list.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:09 pm
imasinger wrote:
That's why the insurance is playing this game. If something else less expensive works, they save money, and you are (hopefully) satisfied.

Didn't you try Ritalin/metadate (or its longer acting versions) before Adderall? Usually that's first on the list.

We didn’t. We decided on Adderall because I had taken it in the past so I felt most comfortable with a medication I was familiar with. And we’ve seen remarkable improvement, but for the crashing. This is why I’m uncomfortable switching to an entirely new medication. Vyvanse is the most similar to the Adderall he’s currently on so I’m comfortable switching him, especially at the beginning of a new school year.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 8:49 pm
Have you talked to your doctor yet? What does s/he say about the insurance communication?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:42 pm
imasinger wrote:
Have you talked to your doctor yet? What does s/he say about the insurance communication?

I was dealing with my pediatrician together with the psychiatrist (they work alongside each other). The psychiatrist who recommended Vyvanse is now out on leave. The pediatrician said we should get a new psychiatrist/neurologist to see how to best go about this insurance issue. The soonest appointment I got with a neurologist she trusts is for the end of the fall. I was really hoping he’ll be settled with his medication before the new school year.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 10:46 am
I want to thank you OBNursemom. I didn't know about this coupon program. You saved me $50 a month on my copays! And yes, we tried other medications before we got to vyvanse.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)