Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What do you do with chicken from the soup
1  2  Next

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:09 pm
I just made chicken soup and put 5 legs in it. My kids won’t touch the chicken. How can I repurpose it so my kids won’t recognize it.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:21 pm
My kids love the chicken from the soup. It’s so soft! Can you try serving it again?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:22 pm
Shred it, mix with BBQ sauce, spread over focaccia or pizza dough with some greens or veggies and bake till crispy. Squirt Caesar or pareve ranch over the top when done.

m987

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:23 pm
Stir fry veggies and shred the chicken in

Dina2018

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:25 pm
I shred it and brown quickly in a pan with shawarma spice, serve over couscous

Dina2018

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:26 pm
also made patties, shredded, added breadcrumbs, salt and fried them

jflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:27 pm
Dina2018 wrote:
I shred it and brown quickly in a pan with shawarma spice, serve over couscous

Sounds delish. Thanks

dankbar

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:43 pm
Shred it & Saute an onion, carrots & zucchini, then add in the shredded chicken into the pan till it is browned. Add salt & pepper. Put it into a wrap or pita.

dankbar

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:45 pm
Chicken sandwiches, bread or challah, smear some mayo or ketchup, layer the shredded chicken with a slice of sour pickle. Cover with another slice of bread.

dankbar

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:47 pm
Chicken salad.
Mash it with mayo, salt/pepper. You could add in diced sour pickles or celery. Mimics tuna salad. Don't tell your kids. Eat it with bread.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:51 pm
Remove skin and bones and break it into chunks. Throw it into a bowl as part of a make-your-own-wrap dinner. Add other bowls with a selection of veggies, beans, and/or rice and give them an option of sauces/condiments.

Laiya

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:54 pm
OP, would they eat it in the soup if you used white meat instead?

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:07 pm
Chicken blintz. But really you can just do two legs and the rest chicken bones in the soup so you don’t have that much waste if your kids won’t eat it.

kenz

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:01 pm
Empanadas a la Sarah Lasry - I make these all the time and they are delicious, and we are not soup chicken people at all. Mash chicken with soup veggies, place approximately one heaping teaspoon in center of mini pizza round, fold over and seal with mini pierogi/calzone/kreplach press (you can use a fork but it’s way more time consuming). Spray with Pam (or equivalent) and sprinkle with everything spice. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
They’re really delicious. You can get the mini press on Amazon for a few dollars, usually in sets of 2 or 3.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:22 pm
Tell them about all of the starving children in wherever. Bribe them . Make a contest with whoever eats the most. Invite a friend who likes it that they may copy. Make sure you and their father eat it too.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:32 pm
I stopped putting in chicken for that reason. I use 2 packs of bones instead. Problem solved

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:06 am
I personally give it to my baby and eat it....BUT

It's NOT baal tashchis to throw away the chicken. The chicken served its purpose. it gave flavor to the soup.

Chicken that has been boiled for hours doesn't taste good. That's why all the recipes above add flavor to it and disguise it.

It's not a mitzvah to eat chicken that doesn't taste good. It's fine to throw it out. It's not baal tashchis and it's not a waste of money.

Also...I've tried only bones. It's not the same. Chicken legs make it taste way better.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 1:01 am
If the chicken is not dried out, I dice it and make chicken salad with mayo, a dash of curry powder, sliced celery, chopped pecans, and craisins. It's really yum. It's good with diced turkey, too. You could also add bits of pomegranate.

If the chicken is beyond saving, my dog gets a great dinner. The collagen from the joints is really good for her health.

The bones go in the garbage, of course, as they are not safe for any animal to eat.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 2:13 am
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
I personally give it to my baby and eat it....BUT

It's NOT baal tashchis to throw away the chicken. The chicken served its purpose. it gave flavor to the soup.

Chicken that has been boiled for hours doesn't taste good. That's why all the recipes above add flavor to it and disguise it.

It's not a mitzvah to eat chicken that doesn't taste good. It's fine to throw it out. It's not baal tashchis and it's not a waste of money.

Also...I've tried only bones. It's not the same. Chicken legs make it taste way better.

Did you actually ask a rav about this?
I'm a bit astonished that you say it's not baal tashchis. Throwing away fully edible meat just because the children don't like it?
I'm sure 2 or 3 generations back no one would have paskened like that.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 2:22 am
A lot of the recipes being suggested don't sound like they'd work very well with *boiled* chicken. Seems like it'd be too mushv to hold up in a stir-fry. The baby food suggestion is the only one that sounds doable.

We eat it in the soup. If your kids don't eat it, then that's more for the adults.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics