Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What do you do with chicken from the soup
Previous  1  2

amother
Sage

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 2:26 am
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
Did you actually ask a rav about this?
I'm a bit astonished that you say it's not baal tashchis. Throwing away fully edible meat just because the children don't like it?
I'm sure 2 or 3 generations back no one would have paskened like that.

The chicken has already been used to flavor the soup. You're not obligated to eat food that's unpleasant for you - you're actually probably not allowed to. I did see this from a big Posek about throwing out leftover food in general - there is normal wastage in every household that isn't considered Bal Tashchis.

Emunah13

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 1:35 pm
Next time make overnight soup with bones only

salamanca

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 5:32 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
The chicken has already been used to flavor the soup. You're not obligated to eat food that's unpleasant for you - you're actually probably not allowed to. I did see this from a big Posek about throwing out leftover food in general - there is normal wastage in every household that isn't considered Bal Tashchis.

I dont know how anyone could think this is okay. Since you know this food "is unpleasant for u", you should not be cooking the chicken to begin with. Even though the chicken has fulfilled a purpose for you to give flavor, you are not using it to anywhere near its fullest potential. In addition, a living creature was killed so that you could eat it, not just flavor your soup. And this is not leftover food. You know from the get-go that it will be thrown out.

You cannot give me any possible argument that throwing out perfectly good chicken is not a sin.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 7:35 pm
My family doesn't eat it (just me and I can't eat a whole pot full) so we use bones and the soup comes out delicious.

amother
Sage

Post Sat, Aug 07 2021, 4:50 pm
salamanca wrote:
I dont know how anyone could think this is okay. Since you know this food "is unpleasant for u", you should not be cooking the chicken to begin with. Even though the chicken has fulfilled a purpose for you to give flavor, you are not using it to anywhere near its fullest potential. In addition, a living creature was killed so that you could eat it, not just flavor your soup. And this is not leftover food. You know from the get-go that it will be thrown out.

You cannot give me any possible argument that throwing out perfectly good chicken is not a sin.

Obviously there are those who disagree with you even if you don't know them. I'm 100% confident in my position and it's basis in Halacha. I'm not the only person who thinks chicken from the soup is not perfectly good. (and I have tried to disguise it in various ways).

life is fun

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 4:56 am
I use it for stir fry, mix it with mushroom for a vaul au vent sauce or soice it and make a hot snack with it.
Which is very popular

imaima

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 5:14 am
Puree it in a meaty tomato sauce, like bolognese but with chicken. Kids love it over pasta.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:10 am
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Obviously there are those who disagree with you even if you don't know them. I'm 100% confident in my position and it's basis in Halacha. I'm not the only person who thinks chicken from the soup is not perfectly good. (and I have tried to disguise it in various ways).

You've never gone hungry, other than on the fast days, have you?
I grew up in Europe and while we had always enough to eat, meat or chicken in any way was still regarded as precious and expensive, not something to waste.
Your opinion seems to reinforce my negative prejudices about spoilt, rich and wasteful Americans who consume without care. They are prejudices, often unjustified, no doubt, but still, a lot of the world resents entitled US citizens, it's a cultural issue. I don't think this is a Jewish issue, even though you found a psak that seems to justify such practices. It's a rich Westerners' thing.

gingleale

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:20 am
Chop it up and use it in chicken pot pie.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:34 am
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
I grew up in Europe and while we had always enough to eat, meat or chicken in any way was still regarded as precious and expensive, not something to waste.
Your opinion seems to reinforce my negative prejudices about spoilt, rich and wasteful Americans who consume without care. They are prejudices, often unjustified, no doubt, but still, a lot of the world resents entitled US citizens, it's a cultural issue. I don't think this is a Jewish issue, even though you found a psak that seems to justify such practices. It's a rich Westerners' thing.

Wow
You are allowed to not like certain foods and throw them out
I've been throwing out our soup chicken for more years than I can count, week after week
No one wants it after friday night and we can't finish all of it
What's with all the drama
Europeans eat everything on the table even if they don't like that food? I don't believe that.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:48 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Wow
You are allowed to not like certain foods and throw them out
I've been throwing out our soup chicken for more years than I can count, week after week
No one wants it after friday night and we can't finish all of it
What's with all the drama
Europeans eat everything on the table even if they don't like that food? I don't believe that.

There's a difference between food being left over accidentally sometimes and consciously planning it ahead of time, so to say as part of the recipe, as you write, every time again, week after week.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:54 am
I wouldn't repurpose leftover chicken from soup. All (or most of) the nutrients have been boiled out, along with the taste. I see no problem in throwing it out. It's not wasting, it was just used in a different way (to add nutrients and flavor to what essentially was a pot a spiced water).

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:57 am
Not such a difference
Chicken soup needs chicken. You can enjoy the soup and not the chicken.

That said, I like the chicken veggie burger idea mentioned above. None of the others sound appetizing.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ Bone ] wrote:

Wow! I'm sorry that you are so judgemental. You literally got every fact wrong. I was actually not born in the US and I don't live in the US anymore. I wasn't brought up rich or spoilt and my kids are not either brought up rich and spoilt . We spend less on clothes in a year than my friends in NY spend a month. We live a very simple lifestyle. It happens to be that the smell, texture, and taste of chicken from soup nauseates me besides which as other posters explained it has been used for a good purpose. I'll follow my Daas Torah, you follow yours. But we both need to follow the Mitzva of "Dan l'Kaf Zchus".

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:13 am
I use a whole chicken for my soup. We all love the chicken in our soup bowls and I’ve only seen here people saying it has no taste left and they throw it away. Maybe it’s all in how you grew up. My mother always served a nice amount of chicken in our soup and my grandmothers and in-laws (x2 because 2 marriages) love the boiled chicken. If you grew up being told it’s delicious, it will train you to like it; if your mother never did, you are not likely to either.

That being said, after serving leftover soup during the week and we are bored of it but have leftover still, I make a pareve cream sauce using the broth and then put in the rest of the chicken, shredded, and the vegetables and make either chicken pot pie (add potatos and peas/carrots) or my kids favorite, creamy chicken casserole which is unbelievably creamy, rich, and delicious.

Last edited by watergirl on Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:16 am
Why don't you just use chicken bones?

It gives as much flavor IMO.

sequoia

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:24 am
Boiled chicken is my favorite. So tender, falling from the bone.

It hurts to see that people throw it out.

You want to be “like the shtetl” in every way — do you really think they threw away chicken from the soup there?!

But we needn’t go back as far as the shtetl.

Here’s what my grandma, and any Jewish woman of her generation, could make with one whole chicken:

Soup with kneidelach (a huge pot)
Ground chicken cutlets
Roast drumsticks and thighs
Shmaltz
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics