Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Freezer friendly yontiv main dishes and sides? Need ideas.

Petra

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:47 pm
Turns out that this year I need to do the majority of my cooking well ahead of time and freeze it.

I'm not a creative person!

I need to create a basic menu for RH through the end of Sukkot. I only have a few things on my menu and I'm not getting very far.

Any ideas for main dishes and freezable sides? (Don't need desserts. Those are the least of my worries.)

Nothing requiring too many ingredients please. Simpler is better.

I've got roasts and bone-in chicken as well as skinless cutlets to work with.

Simple, yummy, freezable options please and thank you!

Petra

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 5:59 am
Bump

dankbar

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 6:16 am
There were threads started already.
You can freeze
Cabbage noodles/ or with crumbs
Orzo with pastrami mushrooms
Potato knishes
Different type of kugel
Soups
Compote
Pastrami stuffed pasta shells
Spinach lasagne rollups
Meat pizza I put together but only bake before yomtov.
Cherry muffins
Chicken wellingtons with broccoli mushrooms
Chicken pastrami potato pie
Kishka Capone
Apple strudel
Turnovers filled with anything
Lomein w veggies
Apple custard pies
Deli rolls
Stuffed cabbage

Petra

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 8:18 am
I thought I saw only a few comments on other threads and read those but needed more.

Thanks dankbar

mom!

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 8:20 am
dankbar wrote:
There were threads started already.
You can freeze
Cabbage noodles/ or with crumbs
Orzo with pastrami mushrooms
Potato knishes
Different type of kugel
Soups
Compote
Pastrami stuffed pasta shells
Spinach lasagne rollups
Meat pizza I put together but only bake before yomtov.
Cherry muffins
Chicken wellingtons with broccoli mushrooms
Chicken pastrami potato pie
Kishka Capone
Apple strudel
Turnovers filled with anything
Lomein w veggies
Apple custard pies
Deli rolls
Stuffed cabbage

Can you post recipe for chicken pastrami potato pie and apple custard pies please?

mom!

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 8:21 am
Some more ideas
Corned beef
Minute steaks
Frank’s n blanks
Breaded chicken steaks
Most deserts
Carrot muffins

Fave

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 8:53 am
Petra wrote:
I thought I saw only a few comments on other threads and read those but needed more.

Thanks dankbar

Following

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 8:57 am
Roll cutlets around small slice of defrosted kishka, top with mustard/Mayo or any bottled dressing and corn flake or bread crumbs and bake . Can also use cooked rice instead of kishka. Freezes beautifully

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 11:02 am
Challa kugel

Cheiny

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 11:09 am
Petra wrote:
Turns out that this year I need to do the majority of my cooking well ahead of time and freeze it.

I'm not a creative person!

I need to create a basic menu for RH through the end of Sukkot. I only have a few things on my menu and I'm not getting very far.

Any ideas for main dishes and freezable sides? (Don't need desserts. Those are the least of my worries.)

Nothing requiring too many ingredients please. Simpler is better.

I've got roasts and bone-in chicken as well as skinless cutlets to work with.

Simple, yummy, freezable options please and thank you!

Chicken does not taste good at all after being defrosted. Roasts, kugels, soups do.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 11:14 am
Just this last week, I froze a couple of: Pumpkin pies (recipe from Rivky Kleiman, kosher.com. I freeze these raw, with a little ziplock with the crumbs, and I pop them out on Y"T, bake and top), cranapple crumbles (apples mixed with cranberry sauce, with crumbs on bottom and on top), and luckshen kugels (garlic, and salt and pepper).

I also made some kreplach (I use wonton wrappers and a meat mixture) and froze these raw, ready for cooking and adding to soup.

I plan to start and soups next, followed by roasts.

Eventually I assemble a menu of sorts. But I start off by just freezing a bunch of the foods we like.....

Petra

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:10 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Chicken does not taste good at all after being defrosted. Roasts, kugels, soups do.

Thanks for the tip!

mom!

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:21 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Just this last week, I froze a couple of: Pumpkin pies (recipe from Rivky Kleiman, kosher.com. I freeze these raw, with a little ziplock with the crumbs, and I pop them out on Y"T, bake and top), cranapple crumbles (apples mixed with cranberry sauce, with crumbs on bottom and on top), and luckshen kugels (garlic, and salt and pepper).

I also made some kreplach (I use wonton wrappers and a meat mixture) and froze these raw, ready for cooking and adding to soup.

I plan to start and soups next, followed by roasts.

Eventually I assemble a menu of sorts. But I start off by just freezing a bunch of the foods we like.....

What’s your recipe for garlic luckshen kugel?

Scotty

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 2:49 pm
Things our family likes to eat that freeze well -

(Challahs raw or baked)

MAINS
Turkey breast: I toss with marinade and freeze in ziplock, bake on YT
Deckel or corned beef: cook/bake, slice, freeze
Pulled brisket- toss in crockpot, shred, freeze
Chicken roll ups - make and freeze raw
Chicken on bone - clean, dress, and freeze raw

SIDES
Overnight or reg potato kugel
(Lukshen kugels are nice if you bother with them)
(You can check rice in advance and cook on YT)
Deli roll - freeze baked

SOUP
chicken soup (kreplach are super extra credit!)
Our family adores borscht

FISH
gefilte fish can be cooked and frozen!

You can also caramelize and freeze onions for mixing with liver or making a dip on YT

Then on YT I’ll make salad(s), bake the (defrosted) raw stuff, maybe even heat up a bag of frozen veg. (Broccoli, cauliflower, string beans…)

Remember you can always cook up a box of near East rice mix on YT (20 minutes in a pot, some just need boiling water stirred in!) for a great side.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 4:09 pm
Scotty wrote:
Things our family likes to eat that freeze well -

(Challahs raw or baked)

MAINS
Turkey breast: I toss with marinade and freeze in ziplock, bake on YT
Deckel or corned beef: cook/bake, slice, freeze
Pulled brisket- toss in crockpot, shred, freeze
Chicken roll ups - make and freeze raw
Chicken on bone - clean, dress, and freeze raw

SIDES
Overnight or reg potato kugel
(Lukshen kugels are nice if you bother with them)
(You can check rice in advance and cook on YT)
Deli roll - freeze baked

SOUP
chicken soup (kreplach are super extra credit!)
Our family adores borscht

FISH
gefilte fish can be cooked and frozen!

You can also caramelize and freeze onions for mixing with liver or making a dip on YT

Then on YT I’ll make salad(s), bake the (defrosted) raw stuff, maybe even heat up a bag of frozen veg. (Broccoli, cauliflower, string beans…)

Remember you can always cook up a box of near East rice mix on YT (20 minutes in a pot, some just need boiling water stirred in!) for a great side.

Oh my can you share your turkey breast recipe? I’ve been looking for a good one for a while.

Scotty

Post Sat, Aug 07 2021, 7:28 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Oh my can you share your turkey breast recipe? I’ve been looking for a good one for a while.

I used to use recipes I found in cookbooks and they mostly disappointed.. these days I just slather on a combination of something sweet and something savory and bake at 350 or 400 until one side looks almost done-ish, then flip until other side looks WLMOST done ish, then I let it sit, slice when cool and serve with gravy. I’m sorry it’s so unscientific I will try to record next erev shabbos!

Some combos I’ve used:

Apricot jam + mustard (Trader Joe’s dill mustard was interesting) + spices (garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper etc)

Any jam + mustard + balsamic + spices - was okay

This week’s was best tho - I think I used
Honey + mustard + garlic powder + maybe some balsamic and/or soy sauce? + spices

Always underbake a bit it will finish cooking after you take it out. ImyH I will try to time it next week, the whole process usually takes under an hour.

(This is bone free Turkey breast, called “Turkey London broil” where I live for about $13-$15 each, about 12 inches long and five wide, four high?)

Wow this is unscientific!!!

Amethyst

Post Sat, Aug 07 2021, 8:18 pm
Here are items we freeze (or ppl I know freeze):

For sides:
Sw. potato pie/kugel (If there is a crumble top, should be uncovered when re-heating)
Tri-color mini kugels (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot)
Salt & Pepper kugel
Yerushalmi kugel
Zucchini in tomato sauce
Anything in dough/puff pastry, I.e. apple cinnamon mixture, broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mixture, cabbage/onion...
Muffins- carrot, pumpkin
Cobblers or crisps (when re-heating should be uncovered)
Pineapple Kugel
Cranberry/apple kugel
Zucchini/Mushroom kugel

Roasted vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mini potatoes, peppers, etc. are easy to make, can't be done too much ahead of time, but not time consuming to make.
Sometimes we defrost frozen snap peas or string beans and just toss with a little sesame oil, salt/pepper/garlic powder and sesame seeds. Or we just eat them plain without anything on them.

Farfel in a pan in the oven is quick and easy to make even erev yom tov...

Mains:
Sometimes we've frozen cooked corned beef, already sliced, and then heated it up in the oven in a sauce we made fresh
Chicken - pieces in any sauce, I.e. sesame chicken, fire poppers... I've frozen schnitzel made already, some ppl prep it and freeze raw and just bake when they need it. (Obviously this is better fresh, but if you need to freeze ahead, it works.)
I've made roast chicken with spices on top and some juice (grape or orange) on the bottom of the pan and then baked and frozen it till ready to use.
Roast - onion soup mix/cranberry sauce, freezes well just make sure the pieces are sitting well in the sauce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus