Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Freezing challah dough.

lossetes

Post Sat, Aug 07 2021, 10:33 pm
Sorry I posted too late. Around 2 weeks ago I joined a challah baking group on a thursday night to be mafrish challah together internationally. By the time the challah dough rose and I took off challah with a bracha it was very late and I was too tired for the braiding. I decided to divide the dough into pieces, put in bag and freeze it up. This friday I took out one bag unfroze etc and made challah in oven. Unfortunately it did not rise and become fluffy this time rather it came out hard.I was just wondering for the future is there any way I can freeze challah dough in a way it can rise and become fluffy? How do the stores sell frozen challah dough which is ready to be baked ?

lossetes

Post Sat, Aug 07 2021, 11:42 pm
anyone ?

precious

Post Sat, Aug 07 2021, 11:44 pm
I'm assuming they braid and freeze before it rises?

nicole81

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 12:01 am
You would have had to defrost the dough, let it fully come to room temperature or even warmer, braid it, and then let it rise again before baking.

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 12:55 am
I freeze my challah as dough, already braided. I let it rise before I form and freeze it. On Friday I take it out and let it defrost for about an hour and then bake it and it comes out nice and fresh. I don't rebraid it.

etky

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 3:42 am
I always freeze my challah dough, after the first rise.
I weigh the dough, divide it into portions and freeze the lumps in individual bags.
When ready to make the challah I defrost the dough to room temperature, braid the challahs and give them a nice long second rise before baking.
They come out great.

holylandgirl

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:23 am
lossetes wrote:
Sorry I posted too late. Around 2 weeks ago I joined a challah baking group on a thursday night to be mafrish challah together internationally. By the time the challah dough rose and I took off challah with a bracha it was very late and I was too tired for the braiding. I decided to divide the dough into pieces, put in bag and freeze it up. This friday I took out one bag unfroze etc and made challah in oven. Unfortunately it did not rise and become fluffy this time rather it came out hard.I was just wondering for the future is there any way I can freeze challah dough in a way it can rise and become fluffy? How do the stores sell frozen challah dough which is ready to be baked ?

Btw, it's not clear that hafrashas challah can be done on dough that will be frozen and not baked together. Maybe ask your LOR.

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:30 am
omygosh and etky-
Please share your recipe with exact instructions
Also if you can use less sugar because sweet challah for us is mezonot

etky

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:40 am
https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....age=2

I make it in my mixer now that my bread machine is broken.
I use more flour than called for - like 4.5 cups, otherwise the dough is too sticky.
I guess you can reduce the sugar but I've never tried. We like our challah sweet. Wink
I get 3 medium sized loaves or 4 small challot or 2 large-ish ones.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads