Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Do I need full size stroller
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:46 am
I'd love to get a full size stroller, but the cost of stroller and carseat I'd love is around $1k (leaning toward uppababy cruz travel system)
Even if I got a cheaper one I still like it would be over $600 for both stroller and carseat

I have the money for it but it sounds like a crazy amount of money to spend on a stroller/carseat. My husbands has no idea how much money baby gear costs and when he heard 1k he was shocked and cant believe I'd spend so much on 2 items.

It got my thinking that maybe I should just get a basic carseat and leave it in the car and get a lightweight stroller to take in and out of car...it would save a lot of money but idk how practical that is

Do lightweight strollers have good suspension? Can I use for newborn all the way to toddler comfortably? Are they meant for lots of walking- which I do- or will it not last long?

I pretty much decided against the doona because even I agree with my husband it's a crazy amount to spend on a carseat, I'd want a stroller as well since I wouldn't do walks with a doona. Doona plus stroller would cost more than uppa baby plus car seat...

Thanks for reading my long post! Any advice, tips, recommendations, opinions thank you!

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:47 am
Most lightweight strollers aren't reclined enough for a newborn. A more budget travel system would be a Graco system or even a City mini or even city select.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:48 am
It really pays to invest in a good stroller, especially if you'll be using it a lot. A lightweight stroller doesn't have such a good push and isn't so smooth. You can get many years use out of a good stroller. My bugaboo is 10 years old.

Classicookie

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:51 am
Get a full size Stroller doesn’t have to be an expensive one but the light weight ones are not for newborns and they don’t push well. My stroller broke for my baby he was about a year I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a full dize at that point so I got a lightweight stroller I don’t love it I use it in the car mostly now it’s likely someone was giving away a good full-size stroller that we use all the time.

hodeez

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:54 am
Graco travel system!!!! You don't have to spend so much and the quality and functionality is superb!!! I've had mine for 6 years through 5 rowdy kids, bh got me through it all.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:02 am
invest in a good stroller.

my sil is like u, didnt want to send the money, and now after each kid shes buying a second hand stroller. just spend the money now so u dont have to do it down the line

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:17 am
Strollers are expensive, but as others have said, you don't have to get a luxury brand to get a good one. I would get a city mini (or a Graco if that's acceptable in your community--from your post I'm wondering if that's why you're between a high end brand full size or travel stroller--there are lots of options in between). City mini goes on sale sometimes. I have an UPPAbaby and it's annoying to fold. The city mini has a one handed fold so it's good for in and out of the car and it's still a full stroller, which is just more comfortable for you to use and the baby to sit in.

Another option is to buy a high end one used. I've done this and it's a really good option, but I would avoid buying from a frum group just because it's more likely it's seen heavy use from a large family. I bought a stroller from a non-Jewish woman with a small family and it was barely used and in fantastic condition.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:41 am
So I'm hearing that it pays to get a full size stroller

I live in Lakewood and every single person has a doona or a high end full size stroller (prob both). I think people feel like they NEED to or else. I don't feel like I NEED to follow what everyone is doing.
But maybe there is a reason I see the same strollers everywhere...
How does the suspension of a graco compare to the high end strollers?
And those who have expensive strollers- is it worth spending over $500 more?

Anyone have a valco baby? (not the one that's reversible), I see it in double all the time..how is the push? The quality? Can I use for newborn thru toddler?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:54 am
A graco doesn't have an easy push. It's like pushing a truck.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I'm hearing that it pays to get a full size stroller

I live in Lakewood and every single person has a doona or a high end full size stroller (prob both). I think people feel like they NEED to or else. I don't feel like I NEED to follow what everyone is doing.
But maybe there is a reason I see the same strollers everywhere...
How does the suspension of a graco compare to the high end strollers?
And those who have expensive strollers- is it worth spending over $500 more?

Anyone have a valco baby? (not the one that's reversible), I see it in double all the time..how is the push? The quality? Can I use for newborn thru toddler?

I have used an expensive stroller through 4 kids.

Over the years I had one expensive that works from newborn till 4, a double Baby Jogger citi mini for when I had kids close in age and a very cheap lightweight buggy for travel etc
Sounds like it's your first child. I would invest in items that would serve you for years or would resell well.

If you don't plan on using BC, buy a stroller that Transfers from 1 to 2, like Bugaboo Donkey l, Mountain Buggy, Baby Jogger City select.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:10 am
I’m a totally not a follow the trends person-love my bugaboo! Can’t imagine babyhood without it. Bh have 2 babies so far and it’s perfect, so easy to push, so comfy for the baby, when she’s sick she can nap in it when it’s hard for her to sleep… walking to places on shabbos etc. I actually have a maxi cosi I put in it and loved it as a system.

An uppa baby vista will be able to have another seat added on, which some ppl like. I personally find it too clutsy and had a hand me down double I knew I could use Bh. Also, the added on seat is quite expensive…

I have the valco double and you can’t compare the push…

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:26 am
I have uppa baby vista with 4 kids and going strong. I don’t love it since it’s so clunky but it’s worth your while to invest in a real full size good stroller. It’ll take you thru a bunch of kids. A doona honestly I was also not buying one but then I looked online and a car seat costs $200 and the wheels to use along with it cost about $150 so it’s only $100 more for a which is much easier to use if your in and out of the car. (Not as another stroller!!!! Lol)

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'd love to get a full size stroller, but the cost of stroller and carseat I'd love is around $1k (leaning toward uppababy cruz travel system)
Even if I got a cheaper one I still like it would be over $600 for both stroller and carseat

I have the money for it but it sounds like a crazy amount of money to spend on a stroller/carseat. My husbands has no idea how much money baby gear costs and when he heard 1k he was shocked and cant believe I'd spend so much on 2 items.

It got my thinking that maybe I should just get a basic carseat and leave it in the car and get a lightweight stroller to take in and out of car...it would save a lot of money but idk how practical that is

Do lightweight strollers have good suspension? Can I use for newborn all the way to toddler comfortably? Are they meant for lots of walking- which I do- or will it not last long?

I pretty much decided against the doona because even I agree with my husband it's a crazy amount to spend on a carseat, I'd want a stroller as well since I wouldn't do walks with a doona. Doona plus stroller would cost more than uppa baby plus car seat...

Thanks for reading my long post! Any advice, tips, recommendations, opinions thank you!

Suspension is not the only thing. Maneuvrability, storage basket, ease of push. How comfy is the seat for the baby. You always see these toddlers sleeping in lightweight strollers, sitting down, head hanging, feet with no support.
I also like my bassinez to sit higher so I don't kill my back tending to the baby in the buggy, plus the dust doesn't fly in the child's face.

clowny

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
I’m a totally not a follow the trends person-love my bugaboo! Can’t imagine babyhood without it. Bh have 2 babies so far and it’s perfect, so easy to push, so comfy for the baby, when she’s sick she can nap in it when it’s hard for her to sleep… walking to places on shabbos etc. I actually have a maxi cosi I put in it and loved it as a system.…

I totally agree with this. Bugaboo bee 6 sells for $699 or $799. Depending on the frame color. (Check out their website) It’s worth the buy. You’re not gonna spend only for the “follow the trend”. It’s a great stroller very comfy for mom and baby. And will last a really long time. Mine is over 10 years old and using it for child #4 now.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:01 am
All of you saying to get a full size stroller like a bugaboo...what do you do about a car seat?
I personally have no desire to get a bugaboo or vista because I have limited space in my car/apartment and they are so bulky and dont fold small...

Which is also why I'm so hesitant to spend a lot on a stroller, because if I have another close in age I'd want a side by side double...

I guess I'm seeing that I want a full size stroller that will be easy to push and get around, but will also fold easily and compact for car/small apartment..
I'd need to figure out carseat as well

From what im seeing online cheaper end anc expensive end strollers are bulkier and heavier, I guess I need something in between

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:02 am
You do need a full sized stroller. You don't need a Bugaboo or Vista. But a Graco will be very hard to push.
I'll break it to you now because it doesn't help to keep quiet. You will eventually need a lightweight travel stroller as well. Maybe around 1 year.
B'shaah Tova!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:06 am
You might like the city mini jogger travel system.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:12 am
ra_mom wrote:
You do need a full sized stroller. You don't need a Bugaboo or Vista. But a Graco will be very hard to push.
I'll break it to you now because it doesn't help to keep quiet. You will eventually need a lightweight travel stroller as well. Maybe around 1 year.
B'shaah Tova!

So what do you recommend?
I cant imagine spending so much money on just strollers alone. I have the money (I've been saving up a few years)...but I'd rather use it to splurge on gorgeous layette
All the young couples around me have doona, bugaboo or uppababy (or the like) plus a travel stroller...that could be close to 2k I imagine
Curious why I'll need a lighweight stroller if I get a more compact full size?

SwissAlps

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:19 am
The mockingbird stroller is excellent quality and is less than 400 dollars. For another 100 you can buy a bassinet to go with it. You can also buy a carseat adapter that is good for many types of carseats, but the stroller is bulky and takes up a lot of space in the car. Full size strollers tend to take up a lot of space in general but are great if you are walking around a lot as they have a great push, strong wheels, and fit a ton in the basket underneath. If you drive everywhere, then a travel stroller is much more convenient.

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:29 am
SwissAlps wrote:
The mockingbird stroller is excellent quality and is less than 400 dollars. For another 100 you can buy a bassinet to go with it. You can also buy a carseat adapter that is good for many types of carseats, but the stroller is bulky and takes up a lot of space in the car. Full size strollers tend to take up a lot of space in general but are great if you are walking around a lot as they have a great push, strong wheels, and fit a ton in the basket underneath. If you drive everywhere, then a travel stroller is much more convenient.

Was just coming here to post this
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics