Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can't function without carbs!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:57 am
I have PCOS and am finally getting serious about cutting out carbs and sugar. The problem is that I can't feel full without carbs. If I eat just a protein and salad for dinner, I won't be satisfied unless there's some starch involved. I also get really stressed about what to eat, hangry, and can almost feel myself spiraling into an ED. What do I do?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:59 am
Add fats. Address thyroid and adrenal issues. Make sure you get enough electrolytes. Wait for the withdrawal stage to pass. If none of that works, add in grain free resistant starches like squash, root vegetables, legumes

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:59 am
I definitely spiral into depression when I cut carbs too severely. No advise, just commiserating.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:01 am
Me too. I spiral with any dieting... it’s tough. Sending hugs!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:05 am
I know this is helpful for PCOS but what about healthier carbs - brown rice, whole grains, fruit?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Add fats. Address thyroid and adrenal issues. Make sure you get enough electrolytes. Wait for the withdrawal stage to pass. If none of that works, add in grain free resistant starches like squash, root vegetables, legumes

Thyroid is fine, BH. How long does withdrawal last?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:12 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I know this is helpful for PCOS but what about healthier carbs - brown rice, whole grains, fruit?

Brown rice is ok in limited quantities, but I'm really supposed to be cutting down on fruit.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:15 am
Yeah. You can.

Eat more protein. Don’t treat it like a diet. Eat until you’re full. After your body adapts to eating low carb the ability to be satiated while eating less WILL happen.

In addition, the hormone leptin is often overpowered by insulin and insulin intensifies ghrelin the hunger for
One so the less you make ( and you Make a lot of you have pcos) the better.

It’s a leap of faith I know, but make it. It’s worth it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It took two days for me because I went STRICT.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:20 am
You need to add healthy fats
Use good quality olive oil
Look up fat bombs and have one after every meal. Thinks like cheesecake mini muffins, or chocolate made from coconut oil
You can add avocado IN MODERATION
There are mousses you can make with avocado, chocolate, key lime.
Make sure you use one of the “healthier” sweetners, nothing with dextrose or maltodextrin
READ INGREDIENTS

IN THE BEGINNING don’t worry about calories
When yo get into ketosis you can start cutting back on the fat

Consider taking some Metformin if your doctor suggest it

Don’t skimp on salt - it’s Neccesary
Usually the fatigue comes from 2 reasons
1. Not enough fat
2. Low in electrolytes- sodium, potassium,
magnesium

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I assume you know your thyroid's fine and didn't just have a TSH and hear from the receptionist it was normal. Not to patronize but a lot of people don't know how to assess if thyroid is fine. One needs TSH, T4, and T3 and to see the results.
Hatzlacha. Cutting carbs isn't easy but from all I've heard it seems like good histhadlus.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Brown rice is ok in limited quantities, but I'm really supposed to be cutting down on fruit.

What diet are you following?

I'd just like to say that not everyone's body is designed to react the same way to a diet... You may find you need healthier carbs (like PinkFridge mentioned) in your diet than cutting them out completely.

Carbs aren't necessarily bad just like fat isn't necessarily bad. You just have to be choosing the right carbs and the right fats, and make sure you are eating in moderation and have a well rounded diet getting your macros etc.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:31 am
Any time I cut carbs out it took me about a week or so for my body to adapt to turning to protein or healthy fat as my energy source. The cravings stop as your body gets used to it.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:31 am
Why do carbs get such a bad reputation?
We need glucose to make ATP for energy!
For my nutritional needs, eating only meat and vegetables does not work so well.

Just choose the right carbs for you! Preferably, the wholesome ones that fill you up and provide you with nutrients!

There are so many healthy and nutritious carbs out there!

Barley. Oats. whole grain brown rice,
Potatoes, sweet potatoes.

I have lost weight by eating these amazing carbs! Yes, you can eat carbs!
Just Balance your meals, eat all of your food groups and pay attention to which carbs make you feel your best.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Why do carbs get such a bad reputation?
We need glucose to make ATP for energy!
For my nutritional needs, eating only meat and vegetables does not work so well.

Just choose the right carbs for you! Preferably, the wholesome ones that fill you up and provide you with nutrients!

There are so many healthy and nutritious carbs out there!

Barley. Oats. whole grain brown rice,
Potatoes, sweet potatoes and Beans (LOVE BEANS!! they really help you lose weight!)

I have lost weight by eating these amazing carbs! Yes, you can eat carbs!
Just Balance your meals, eat all of your food groups and pay attention to which carbs make you feel your best.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have PCOS and am finally getting serious about cutting out carbs and sugar. The problem is that I can't feel full without carbs. If I eat just a protein and salad for dinner, I won't be satisfied unless there's some starch involved. I also get really stressed about what to eat, hangry, and can almost feel myself spiraling into an ED. What do I do?

Add a complex carb. Whole grain bread, Quinoa, brown rice.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
What diet are you following?

I'd just like to say that not everyone's body is designed to react the same way to a diet... You may find you need healthier carbs (like PinkFridge mentioned) in your diet than cutting them out completely.

Carbs aren't necessarily bad just like fat isn't necessarily bad. You just have to be choosing the right carbs and the right fats, and make sure you are eating in moderation and have a well rounded diet getting your macros etc.

Actually if she has pcos, you are mistaken.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:53 am
andrea levy wrote:
Actually if she has pcos, you are mistaken.

PCOS diet doesn't mean no carbs, it means either low carb or low glycemic index diet.

I don't believe in black and white... Everyone's body reacts differently to different diets.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 1:04 pm
I don't know anything about PCOS so please disregard...
I started having a large vegetable salad every day for lunch with about half a cup of quinoa...
I tried it without the quinoa and it didn't cut it (I subbed baked salmon and it didn't work for me...)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 1:38 pm
Update: breakfast happened and I'm already grumpy Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise