Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Please talk to me about braces

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 10:45 am
Hi, I saw an advertisement offering Invisalign significantly cheaper than regular price. I know absolutely nothing about braces and need them asap for my kids.
A few questions:
1) does Invisalign work if someone never had braces before?
2)What are the important aspects to consider should when picking an orthodontist?
Thank you!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 6:27 pm
kids lose things. it might not be a great idea. it's also a lot more money than regular braces. ask your dentist for recommendations.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 6:33 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
kids lose things. it might not be a great idea. it's also a lot more money than regular braces. ask your dentist for recommendations.

Every orthodontist I've been to in the last year charged the same for invisalign as regular braces.
My dentist's opinion is that if the child is responsible, invisalign is much less damaging to the teeth and is better.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 6:37 pm
A friend of mine told me that another friend of ours (that I haven't been in touch with lately) had her kid get braces that are like invisalign. IIRC she said that invisalign is like the brand name, and the patent has run out, and now there are copies, people who do it for much cheaper. I think friend was satisfied with the results.

I have 3 girls who have all had braces. My kids are petite with small faces and jaws, and have needed pallete expanders, etc...It was important to me to see an orthodontist who is well recommended in terms of his work. Also very important to me was the relationship he builds with his patients. I myself never had braces but I had a dentist as a kid whom I hated. Going to the dentist was the worst thing ever. I don't want my kids to have that kind of fear.

So I take my kids to an orthodontist in Lakewood (Dr. Krug) who is very mild-mannered and gentle. Their visits with him are very positive. They don't love their braces but they get that it's for their benefit, and they don't dread going. His office is very kid-friendly, and he has a freezer with icecream that they take as a prize on their way out.

(My DD had to do a pursuasive writing for school, so she wrote an essay on why you should go to Dr. Krug for braces. Her writing was selected for inclusion in a selection for distribution. She chose to do this herself, her own idea, so I guess she likes going to him.)

These are important aspects to consider when choosing an orthodontist. It's a long-term commitment and you want your kid to go along with the program, you want someone they like going to.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 6:38 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Every orthodontist I've been to in the last year charged the same for invisalign as regular braces.
My dentist's opinion is that if the child is responsible, invisalign is much less damaging to the teeth and is better.

Yes. If you can get insurance to cover the braces, that would be traditional braces, so go for that. Otherwise, you may want to compare pricing. There was an Invisalign promotion going on at the time we were looking into it for DS, making it cheaper than traditional braces.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 6:50 pm
Thank you so much for all the replies! Very informative

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:35 pm
Chayalle wrote:
A friend of mine told me that another friend of ours (that I haven't been in touch with lately) had her kid get braces that are like invisalign. IIRC she said that invisalign is like the brand name, and the patent has run out, and now there are copies, people who do it for much cheaper. I think friend was satisfied with the results.

I have 3 girls who have all had braces. My kids are petite with small faces and jaws, and have needed pallete expanders, etc...It was important to me to see an orthodontist who is well recommended in terms of his work. Also very important to me was the relationship he builds with his patients. I myself never had braces but I had a dentist as a kid whom I hated. Going to the dentist was the worst thing ever. I don't want my kids to have that kind of fear.

So I take my kids to an orthodontist in Lakewood (Dr. Krug) who is very mild-mannered and gentle. Their visits with him are very positive. They don't love their braces but they get that it's for their benefit, and they don't dread going. His office is very kid-friendly, and he has a freezer with icecream that they take as a prize on their way out.

(My DD had to do a pursuasive writing for school, so she wrote an essay on why you should go to Dr. Krug for braces. Her writing was selected for inclusion in a selection for distribution. She chose to do this herself, her own idea, so I guess she likes going to him.)

These are important aspects to consider when choosing an orthodontist. It's a long-term commitment and you want your kid to go along with the program, you want someone they like going to.

I hope she shared it with the doctors marketing team Wink
Your daughter sounds adorable!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics