Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Anyone read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow?

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 11:10 am
Has anyone read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow? I read Ender's Game and it's sequel Shadow of The Hegemon. I'm wondering if it's worth reading Ender's Shadow or is there alot of overlap? Also because Shadow of The Hegemon includes alot of Bean's story, is it still worth reading?
So is Ender's Shadow a different enough and interesting read?

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 11:32 am
Yes. Both were worthwhile and I didn't feel that it was a waste of time at all. Gave a depth to the story...

Enjoy!

imasinger

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 11:38 am
I agree.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 11:42 am
Totally read both. Seeing the same thing from Bean's perspective is quite fascinating

And I didn't know which was the next so thanks. Bc I'm ordering Shadow of the hegamon on right now

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 12:14 pm
Thanks everyone! I'm going to start it today!

simcha2

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 12:32 pm
Another vote for Ender's Shadow.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 12:52 pm
I read them both 15+ years ago in high school but I remember vastly preferring Enders shadow

OOTforlife

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 1:09 pm
I read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, then got bored and quit. Ender seemed like too much of a Mary Sue character to me, and it just got old very quickly. But I know a lot of people absolutely love this series.

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 1:21 pm
Shadow of the Hegemon comes after Ender's Shadow. The "Enderverse" consists of two parallel series, one following Ender (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind and Ender in Exile) and one following Bean (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant and Shadows in Flight).

Shadows Alive is an unreleased sequel that is supposed to tie both series together.

Be warned that the later books in both series are nothing like the first; the Ender series gets really philosophical while the Bean one gets political, and both get a little weird. (I like weird though🙂)

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 1:33 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
Shadow of the Hegemon comes after Ender's Shadow. The "Enderverse" consists of two parallel series, one following Ender (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind and Ender in Exile) and one following Bean (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant and Shadows in Flight).

Shadows Alive is an unreleased sequel that is supposed to tie both series together.

Be warned that the later books in both series are nothing like the first; the Ender series gets really philosophical while the Bean one gets political, and both get a little weird. (I like weird though🙂)

Thank you for explaining. I need to get speaker for the dead now. Also.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 2:02 pm
Siriusly? wrote:

Thanks for explaining it all! I guess I'm reading it out of order!

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 2:33 pm
Forgot to mention that Ender in Exile takes place between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, but was released much later. It can be read chronologically or after the others...

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 3:14 pm
Thank you!

number

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 4:19 pm
I read all the books and then discovered the author never finished the series. Which was annoying. He posts on quora sometimes and based on his posts I don’t think he’ll ever write a real ending.

I’m not saying he needs to end the series. It’s just a pet peeve of mine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room