Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teacher experience for nys professional certification

mra01385

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 7:48 pm
I am wondering how people manage to get the required teaching experience needed for the nys professional license? According to the requirements you need 3yrs of full time teaching and teachers assistants are not acceptable.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 7:54 pm
You need to get initial certification before professional certification. Once you get your initial certification, you have 5 years to get your professional, so you can do the 3 full-time teaching years within that window.

mra01385

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:04 pm
If I was a teacher’s assistant but taught mini lessons to small groups during group time can that be considered teaching experience? It’s too much for me to teach a whole classroom for so many hours.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:07 pm
mra01385 wrote:
If I was a teacher’s assistant but taught mini lessons to small groups during group time can that be considered teaching experience? It’s too much for me to teach a whole classroom for so many hours.

buy you were hired as a teacher assistant? I don't think so. your school has to write you a letter to vouch that you were a teacher. They are not going to risk their own license by saying you were a teacher when you weren't. You don't have to teach a whole class. you can do setss or seit as well.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:09 pm
I know it seems very daunting and overwhelming. You have five years but you can also apply for a two year extension if you do not think you met the requirements.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:13 pm
According to this website it says

Quote:
Applicants for professional certification can count teaching experience in public and private schools, part-time or full time, per diem and long-term substitute teaching, and in-state or out-of-state teaching. See SED’s guidance document at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/......html Experience as a teaching assistant does not fulfill this requirement.

Individuals self-report their work experience on the TEACH system and must also have their employing districts submit SED’s Experience Verification form – see http://www.highered.nysed.gov/.....html.

So I don't think you'd be able to get it as a teacher assistant, it specifically says that's excluded. What's your ultimate goal? Do you want to be a classroom teacher, or why do you want professional certification right now?

mra01385

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:17 pm
I already had my initial certification extended, but it expired already. I did some teaching experience during that time. I wasn’t able to finish it due to various reasons, but one reason was that I couldn’t get p3 or seit cases either. The only thing I can do now is get my initial certification reissued. I cannot do any p3 or seit work until I get my certification back. I don’t want to teach a full classroom. It’s not for me.

mra01385

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:25 pm
I want a teaching license so that I could do p3. I would like to tutor in reading and use my wilson certification. I feel like it’s easier to get p3 because parents don’t want to pay so much money out of pocket. I can also do p3 during the day rather than after school when it’s more hectic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics