Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Info on OPWDD Self direction, agencies to go with, etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 9:48 am
Does anyone know which self direction agency in Brooklyn, NY doesn't require you to lay out the money for services and staff? I heard some lay out nothing, some lay out a portion, and a rare few don't require the parents to lay out any money. I don't have other SN moms that I can ask, so any help here is appreciated.
Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 3:42 pm
Any self direction moms here?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:13 pm
Can anyone here tell me which agency you use, and if you're happy with their service?

suremom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:36 pm
I dont know any agencies that ask you to lay out money. That is so weird.

cnc

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:37 pm
suremom wrote:
I dont know any agencies that ask you to lay out money. That is so weird.

Same here .....

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 1:09 pm
cnc wrote:
Same here .....

I work in a program that bills OPWDD, the parents lay out nothing
this is in monsey

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 1:42 pm
What? This makes no sense.I work at an agency in the sd dept. It is a reimbursment program so yes u wld lay it out send receipts a d we mail a check. If the vendor wants we can pay them directly if they send us the bills

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 1:47 pm
Thanks all for your replies.
If a parent enrolls their OPWDD child in a class that is approved through self- direction, do the agencies that you all work for/ have dealt with as a parent put out the money for that class when beginning the class (I.e. swim instruction/equine pony riding class, etc.) or do they reimburse a month after the series of classes are done (like if it's a 10 week swimming lesson program)? What about standing order car service transportation of respite worker with child to an approved program? That is an approved expense. Would they pay directly or only reimburse the parent later on? Everyone pays the actual respite staff directly. It's the other things under the approved budget that I'm asking about.
Which agency have you all dealt with that does cover these directly?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 1:51 pm
I work with Hand in Hand and it has been a positive experience. For some classes they paid directly. Transportation has been paid both ways.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 2:01 pm
I also work at hand in hand and they only pay after services are rendered so if places wait we can pay them directly. We always reimburse shen we say we will and are very professional

suremom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 2:10 pm
SD works differently than traditional services. Normally, classes, self hired respite etc. are not paid by parents in advance. (approved) Transportation, babysitting, and some other groups are yes paid by parents and then reimbursed. But they are usually smaller amounts capping at 3-6000 in total for all groups together. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)