Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Thoughts on the name Daphne ( Dafna)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:26 am
I am seriously considering imyh naming my daughter Dafna and calling her Daphne. It's a very uncommon name in my community (modern/heimish), yet I love the name and its uniqueness. Plus, I'm due on Sukkos - Dafna
meaning wall/protection.

I would love to hear from you guys since you are from diverse backgrounds and communities.

What is your immediate opinion/reaction to the name? Pls also include what you consider yourself as (Modern Orthodox, yeshivish. Chassidish, Israeli etc..).

Thank you so much!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:34 am
Hi, I'm American, OOT yeshivish.

You want the truth, right?

I would think, "wow, that's a weird name! I wonder why they named her that!!! I guess they like the name."

the ONLY dafna/daphne that I know (besides for Maalot Dafna), is I know a relative of Daphne Hanson (yeshivish) of Ohr Naava. Her parents are israeli.

But you are absolutely entitled to making her whAtever you want, as long as you doing think she will be made fun of.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:40 am
דופן is a wall. דפנה is a laurel.
It's a lovely but uncommon name.

ETA: As far as I know, the two words are not related. Dafna meaning "laurel" comes from the Greek. Dofen as "wall" appears in the Mishna as a Hebrew word.

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:43 am
Dafna is a beautiful name in Israel.

When I think Daphne, I think Scooby Doo, but I would never say that out loud.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:45 am
Hey I’m the proud mother of a Daphne.
We are actually chassidish.
It was my husbands grandmothers name and we gave it with pride.
She is definitely the only Daphne in her school, and when speaking Yiddish we say it with a chassidish accent.
But we love pretty and unique names.

essie14

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:49 am
Daphna is a laurel

I think it's a beautiful name and I know many women with this name, DL and I live in Israel. I don't care for Daphne much, it reminds me of a character from Frasier.

etky

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 1:35 am
I love Dafna (and Daphne despite the Frazer association, which I also have Wink) but honestly it sounds extremely dated to me.
I'm 55 and it is a very, very common name in my age group here in Israel in both the DL and secular populations.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 1:55 am
Daphne doesn't sound jewish to me. Maybe Irish.
Dafna sounds like an older Israeli name like Gertrude and rose.
I'm chabad.

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 2:02 am
https://www.babynamewizard.com.....aphne

Daphne seems to also be Greek for Laurel, and the background isn't so pretty.

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Aug 12 2021, 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 2:10 am
I love that name my husband absolutely vetoed it

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 5:03 am
Israeli (originally American) MO and I like it a lot! I've only met one and she's about 30 now, but it's not a weird name, just not super common.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 6:52 am
Dafna, meaning laurel, is highly appropriate for Sukkot. It is a thick, long lasting evergreen, and was one of the favourite choices for schach when I was growing up. It lasted the full week very well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 7:55 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
דופן is a wall. דפנה is a laurel.
It's a lovely but uncommon name.

ETA: As far as I know, the two words are not related. Dafna meaning "laurel" comes from the Greek. Dofen as "wall" appears in the Mishna as a Hebrew word.

Exactly, yes I forgot to mention the laural tree as a meaning too.

My husband actually came across the name when he was learning Mesechtas Sukkos as Dofen.

icebreaker

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 7:57 am
I think it’s a beautiful name!! I had a student I assisted with the name Daphne and I told her how pretty her name was.

simcha2

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 8:00 am
I like the name Dafna. I think it sounds beautiful and I'm a big believer in "Jewish" names (mitzrayim and all that). But the anglicized Daphne sounds "old person" and not Jewish to me ear.

Along the lines of Marlene, Valerie or Helen.

But what do I know?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 8:02 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Hi, I'm American, OOT yeshivish.

You want the truth, right?

I would think, "wow, that's a weird name! I wonder why they named her that!!! I guess they like the name."

the ONLY dafna/daphne that I know (besides for Maalot Dafna), is I know a relative of Daphne Hanson (yeshivish) of Ohr Naava. Her parents are israeli.

But you are absolutely entitled to making her whAtever you want, as long as you doing think she will be made fun of.

I really appreciate your honest opinion. Not wanting my daughter to potentially struggle with her name, prompted me to ask for other opinions, because my view on the name is obviously biased. Very Happy

We are actually discussing giving her two names just in case she despises the name.
What's your thoughts on Shoshana Dafna?
She can go by Shana Dafna, Shani or Daphne.

Any other nickname suggestions?

hodeez

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 8:02 am
Makes me think of Scooby doo

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 8:08 am
Agree with another poster, it was fairly popular circa 50 years ago. It brings to mind
Israel in the 70s/80s. (Actually I had a classmate with the name in my American BY school in the 90s and I think she had an Israeli parent.) However most "older" names cycle back in again, so you may just be the one starting the new trend.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 8:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly, yes I forgot to mention the laural tree as a meaning.

You might have forgotten it, but as you see by this thread, that is the first thing people are going to think of. So bear in mind that what it means to you might not be what it means to everyone else.

Out of interest, I've just looked it up on a few Israeli baby name sites, and they all exclusively mention the meaning as being laurel. Some of them give more Greek mythology background, but none suggest any other meaning.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly, yes I forgot to mention the laural tree as a meaning too.

My husband actually came across the name when he was learning Mesechtas Sukkos as Dofen.

Dofen means wall. It isn't used as a name in any segment of Israeli society.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names