Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Slow recovery from viruses in 2yo who was a preemie

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 10:26 am
Has anyone experienced this with their preemies ? My son has always been like this . It takes him 2/3 weeks to get over a virus that takes his peers a few days . While he's recovering I'll notice behavior changes . He'll become versus sensory , throw tantrums and act completely illogical , he'll become reclusive and not want to talk to anyone , won't play normally ( this isn't usually his profile at all) eventually after a few weeks he snaps back to himself but every time I get very concerned .
A therapist told me she has seen this with preemies ... wondering if anyone else has that experience . Want to make sure I'm not missing some other cause . And for anyone whose child is like this, have you found any solutions ? What can I do to help him?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 10:46 am
Don’t have a premie, but work with premies and lots of former premies as a nurse. This is totally normal, especially if he was very premature. It takes time to catch up and he may have less weight/resources/immunity as compared to his peers. Lots of the very premature babies I work with see a follow-up clinic after discharge in addition to/instead of a regular pediatrician since they have specialized needs. It doesn’t necessarily mean this will linger as he gets older, but at 2 years old it is definitely reasonable to say he’s still “catching-up”, depending on how many weeks he was and his birthweight.

Edited to add: I don’t have any hard and fast solutions per say except the ones you probably already know (get a flu shot for the entire family as soon as you can, hand washing and disinfecting, avoiding germy places etc, etc…) but make sure to bring it up with your pediatrician so they can keep an eye on it along with his overall growth and development.

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone experienced this with their preemies ? My son has always been like this . It takes him 2/3 weeks to get over a virus that takes his peers a few days . While he's recovering I'll notice behavior changes . He'll become versus sensory , throw tantrums and act completely illogical , he'll become reclusive and not want to talk to anyone , won't play normally ( this isn't usually his profile at all) eventually after a few weeks he snaps back to himself but every time I get very concerned .
A therapist told me she has seen this with preemies ... wondering if anyone else has that experience . Want to make sure I'm not missing some other cause . And for anyone whose child is like this, have you found any solutions ? What can I do to help him?
Behavioral changes that are temporally correlated with viruses Is basically the definition of PANS. Having been a preemie could have put him at increased risk for this due to several factors. I would also strongly suspect nutrient depletion, especially nutrients essential for nervous system function, especially because her body has to work so hard to fight and eradicate the illness.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 11:24 am
This brings back memories. They do outgrow it.

imaima

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I haven't had a preemie but I have noticed that supplements with colostrum speed up recovery dramatically.
Maybe it is wort it to introduce them in the school/winter season.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 11:45 am
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
Don’t have a premie, but work with premies and lots of former premies as a nurse. This is totally normal, especially if he was very premature. It takes time to catch up and he may have less weight/resources/immunity as compared to his peers. Lots of the very premature babies I work with see a follow-up clinic after discharge in addition to/instead of a regular pediatrician since they have specialized needs. It doesn’t necessarily mean this will linger as he gets older, but at 2 years old it is definitely reasonable to say he’s still “catching-up”, depending on how many weeks he was and his birthweight.

Edited to add: I don’t have any hard and fast solutions per say except the ones you probably already know (get a flu shot for the entire family as soon as you can, hand washing and disinfecting, avoiding germy places etc, etc…) but make sure to bring it up with your pediatrician so they can keep an eye on it along with his overall growth and development.

Thanks so much this is so helpful . He wasn't so premature . He was a 34 weeker. But was iugr and was a really high risk pregnancy and was under physical stress so maybe that can explain it ? He did have some breathing/ feeding issues that I was told were more typical of a earlier preemie. He's still teeny tiny and really struggles to gain weight . Does this make sense ? Also do you think o.t would help ? Or not since this isn't usually hai profile ?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:37 pm
Glad I can help OP.

Based on your description, I would for sure anticipate that he just has less resilience than his full-term peers. Give it time- every kid is different but what you are describing sounds completely normal. Based on his weight and history, it’s expected that he would be more fragile. The preemie stuff is often a long process! But keep your pediatrician in the loop, this is something they need to keep an eye on.

As for behavioral issues- not my area of expertise- but I would anticipate that a 2 year old who is feeling worn down and sick will not be on his best behavior Smile but you can definitely monitor it and explore options if it continues.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
Glad I can help OP.

Based on your description, I would for sure anticipate that he just has less resilience than his full-term peers. Give it time- every kid is different but what you are describing sounds completely normal. Based on his weight and history, it’s expected that he would be more fragile. The preemie stuff is often a long process! But keep your pediatrician in the loop, this is something they need to keep an eye on.

As for behavioral issues- not my area of expertise- but I would anticipate that a 2 year old who is feeling worn down and sick will not be on his best behavior Smile but you can definitely monitor it and explore options if it continues.

I'm a mom of a child that was born very prematurely. I have to agree with this. My child caught up somewhere within her 3rd year of life. I would just keep his pediatrician in the loop, and be on top of well visits.
(Many preemies may need some therapy to help them catch up with peers their age. You may want to look into that if you aren't already, if you feel it may benefit your child.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 4:31 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Behavioral changes that are temporally correlated with viruses Is basically the definition of PANS. Having been a preemie could have put him at increased risk for this due to several factors. I would also strongly suspect nutrient depletion, especially nutrients essential for nervous system function, especially because her body has to work so hard to fight and eradicate the illness.

I'm getting my super anxious about this . I'm so nervous I'm actually crying . Would it be classified as PANS if it's temporary and goes away on its own ? And also he's not displaying any ocd symptoms . Just more like very irritable and not himself
Also can you explain more about nutrient depletion ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 9:25 pm
Sorry to bump up Thai thread again but can anyone give me clarity . I'm so worried about PANS. Is this the definition of it ? Or for everyone else saying it's normal , is it normal preemie stuff ?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 9:29 pm
Our preemie was always undersized and sick as well as not always the easiest boy to deal with. He began to gain weight when he figured out how to get to the local 7/11 store at the age of 9.

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 9:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm getting my super anxious about this . I'm so nervous I'm actually crying . Would it be classified as PANS if it's temporary and goes away on its own ? And also he's not displaying any ocd symptoms . Just more like very irritable and not himself
Also can you explain more about nutrient depletion ?
Maybe I shouldn’t have been so quick to jump to conclusions. Irritable and passes on its own could just be his body working hard to fight.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 10:37 pm
OP, don’t panic.

Definitely share your concerns with your pediatrician, but your description sounds very, very normal based on his medical history.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics