Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
It’s 1 week until school and.. UPDATE
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

hardworking mom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:30 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If children are being left out of schools, then the schools DESERVE to be bashed. Punch

OP, ask if you want. I'm sure that someone here can help you.
I agree the article about the rosh yeshiva who strung along that poor kid with no intention of taking him in? I dont get why they didnt write his name! Am I the only mother who doesnt want her kids under the influence of such selfish ppl?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:44 pm
Can't imagine OPs pain. I'm going to say an extra perek of Tehillim.
Hope you update us with good news.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:00 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I'm so sorry op, I can't imagine how painful this is. I'm going to try to find out if there is anything else you can do.
Most schools haven't started yet, so dont give up on that account. Many schools are starting next week and some the week after.

Eta: I found this on Google search

https://www.jweb.org.uk/servic.....hools

I don't know whether they are active anymore, but they definitely used to help with getting children into schools.

Thanks. I tried, seems like they are no longer in business.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:02 am
DH told one school yesterday he was telling them to the council and they got nasty pretty fast.

He lost heart already, said well just send him to a modern orthodox school. I don’t want to Crying

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:19 am
Again… don’t threaten them, write a formal email, copy in the governor you’re speaking with and the school office. Tell them you wish to launch an appeal.
He might be getting difficult with you because an appeal is a big headache for the admissions governors, they have to organise the independent committee and follow all council rules and regulations.
But if they have space and you meet all the schools admissions criteria go for it!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:29 am
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:
Again… don’t threaten them, write a formal email, copy in the governor you’re speaking with and the school office. Tell them you wish to launch an appeal.
He might be getting difficult with you because an appeal is a big headache for the admissions governors, they have to organise the independent committee and follow all council rules and regulations.
But if they have space and you meet all the schools admissions criteria go for it!!!

The Governor claims his second class is an overflow class and even though it does not have 30 he does not legally have to take 30 in that class.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:47 am
Call the council find out if this correct, like I said before be one step ahead.
Tell them regardless you’ve sent an email requesting an appeal. You need to keep showing them you’re not backing down, no other school is right for your child and you won’t settle. They wait till the last minute because they presume most people will get desperate and find an alternative (and most people do!) if you’re serious about the school and you have the koach keep fighting.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 5:01 am
OP, this may call for a camp out protest.

Make a big sign that says "My child needs a school!" and park yourself on the doorstep of whoever has the most influence to get your child in.

Hopefully they live on a busy street, and you will get lots of notice.

Pack lots of snacks and water, and be prepared to stay as long as you need to. If you can bring DS, even better. Get him some toys, and let him run around in the askan's front yard.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to make Aliyah, where there are plenty of schools that will meet your standards.

(I am so beyond disgusted with Orthodox school systems around the world, I can't even say more.)

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OP, this may call for a camp out protest.

Make a big sign that says "My child needs a school!" and park yourself on the doorstep of whoever has the most influence to get your child in.

Hopefully they live on a busy street, and you will get lots of notice.

Pack lots of snacks and water, and be prepared to stay as long as you need to. If you can bring DS, even better. Get him some toys, and let him run around in the askan's front yard.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to make Aliyah, where there are plenty of schools that will meet your standards.

(I am so beyond disgusted with Orthodox school systems around the world, I can't even say more.)

FF , youare very very entertaining , I give you that Very Happy

But , I dont know about merry old England, lassie

But if OP did this in Lakewood no one would touch her with a 10 foot pole
They would say she is a nutcase

They would probably cal, child protective services and say she isnt stable

PS you are VERY NAIVE about Israeli schools

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 3:13 pm
Just wondered if there was any update?

Also saw this, Mrs Nemeth is incredible and really worth being in touch with.

https://I.imgur.com/Yfiy3zV.jpg

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 3:47 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll call her tonight.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 3:56 pm

I called and texted but couldn’t get through. Do you mind telling me where on Instagram you saw this (who’s account) so I can’t leave details there?

Thank you!

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 4:04 pm
Chaygit posted it xxx hatzlacha

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 4:15 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Still better then back in the 1930s or 40s when the struggling schools would send kids home in the middle of the day if their parents were behind in tuition payments....
I grew up reading stories like that, it really happened. Countless "feel good" stories of someone (like R' Chaim Gelb) who came across a kid crying outside the building and scraped together money/charity so the kid would be allowed back in. As a kid in the 1980s, I gobbled up those stories that were written to show the kindness and chesed of people like R' Gelb, but how could I possibly have grasped the humiliation and desperation the kids/parents must have felt? And it could happen to the same kid month after month. And I'm sure plenty of kids ended up in public school because they/their parents couldn't take the pressure and humiliation anymore. As an adult I think back to those stories and view them through an entirely different lens.
No, things are far from perfect nowadays, but they aren't the worst, either.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:23 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Still better then back in the 1930s or 40s when the struggling schools would send kids home in the middle of the day if their parents were behind in tuition payments....
I grew up reading stories like that, it really happened. Countless "feel good" stories of someone (like R' Chaim Gelb) who came across a kid crying outside the building and scraped together money/charity so the kid would be allowed back in. As a kid in the 1980s, I gobbled up those stories that were written to show the kindness and chesed of people like R' Gelb, but how could I possibly have grasped the humiliation and desperation the kids/parents must have felt? And it could happen to the same kid month after month. And I'm sure plenty of kids ended up in public school because they/their parents couldn't take the pressure and humiliation anymore. As an adult I think back to those stories and view them through an entirely different lens.

Because nowadays they point blank won't take the poor kids in. The only difference is that today not only do you need to pay tuition you also need to be related to the higher ups. And even then if you're kid doesn't toe the line by behaving like a soldier in class you better medicate or get out. Also then it was perfectly normal for a child not to go to school.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:14 am
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
Because nowadays they point blank won't take the poor kids in. The only difference is that today not only do you need to pay tuition you also need to be related to the higher ups. And even then if you're kid doesn't toe the line by behaving like a soldier in class you better medicate or get out. Also then it was perfectly normal for a child not to go to school.

It was also perfectly normal to send children to public school.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:36 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
FF , youare very very entertaining , I give you that Very Happy

But , I dont know about merry old England, lassie

But if OP did this in Lakewood no one would touch her with a 10 foot pole
They would say she is a nutcase

They would probably cal, child protective services and say she isnt stable

PS you are VERY NAIVE about Israeli schools

Actually I know someone who sat down in front of Lakewood's well-known schools with her daughter, and she got in. Quite recently actually (in the last 5 years).

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:29 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Actually I know someone who sat down in front of Lakewood's well-known schools with her daughter, and she got in. Quite recently actually (in the last 5 years).

Most kids wouldn't do this

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:23 pm
chestnut wrote:
Most kids wouldn't do this

My response was to naturalmom who said schools wouldn't touch her in Lakewood with a 10 ft pole. I know someone who did this, WITH her child (she sat there with her. Not ch'v left her alone.) She got in.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Must have been more to the story because my father who grew up in a secular family in the 1940s was sent by his parents to Yeshiva His parents decided they aren't paying tuition anymore and the Yeshiva said "we will keep him without tuition"

OTOH My father has a cousin who thrown off the bus because he couldn't afford to tip the (non-Jewish) bus driver X-Mas time so he ended up in public school.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics