Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
It’s 1 week until school and.. UPDATE
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 4:29 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Once she sends there, the schools she wants will less likely accept her afterwards. So we're not just talking about a young child.

I understand that sending there could "poison" her child in the eyes of the admissions committee. And that's horrible twice over. But seriously, what are the options?

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 4:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your post. I’m going to appeal next week if nothing turns out.

My advice re the appeal process would be do your homework, call the local council (Barnet or Brent?) and find out exactly how many spaces the school have and have given out. Go armed with facts and figures.
And also find out the exact process of launching an appeal, it should be written somewhere on the schools website and follow it to the tee, they will want to catch you out and slow down the process so just be one step ahead.
Hatzlacha

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Noam? That was our first choice.

OP are you sure? As far as I know noam is mixed, unless they've changed?
I thought the boys school in edgware is tashbar. There is also beit shvidler , also boys and girls.

And I agree with those saying dont give in and send to a school they is a wrong fit, I do know people who kept their kids home and eventually got in to a school that fits for them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:21 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
OP are you sure? As far as I know noam is mixed, unless they've changed?
I thought the boys school in edgware is tashbar. There is also beit shvidler , also boys and girls.

And I agree with those saying dont give in and send to a school they is a wrong fit, I do know people who kept their kids home and eventually got in to a school that fits for them.

Never heard of them, thanks, I’ll look into it.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They have separate classes for boys and girls, just like menorah.

Ah I didnt know that, it must have changed since they opened.
Tashbar is the more yeshivish boys school in edgware, similar to tora vodaas or pardes in gg. And beit shvidler is I believe along the lines of hasmo but in edgware - but I could be wrong I dont live in edgware and dont know much about the schools there.
Good luck, I also recommend you go for an appeal. I know other families who got in through the back door so to speak, by applying through barnet

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:58 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Ah I didnt know that, it must have changed since they opened.
Tashbar is the more yeshivish boys school in edgware, similar to tora vodaas or pardes in gg. And beit shvidler is I believe along the lines of hasmo but in edgware - but I could be wrong I dont live in edgware and dont know much about the schools there.
Good luck, I also recommend you go for an appeal. I know other families who got in through the back door so to speak, by applying through barnet

Hm.. that’s confusing to me because Torah vdaas is much more rightwing then Pardes. Which would you say it’s more similar to?

Also, if the other is like Hasmonean then I’m not looking to send there. If I’m forced to send to mixed I’ll just send to a local mixed school near me.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They have separate classes for boys and girls, just like menorah.

Noam is definitely mixed, at a certain age they separate for kodesh lessons.

gold2

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:32 am
there is also a difference between hasmo primary and secondary schools and girls and boys for those who do not seem to know the situation in london

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hm.. that’s confusing to me because Torah vdaas is much more rightwing then Pardes. Which would you say it’s more similar to?

Also, if the other is like Hasmonean then I’m not looking to send there. If I’m forced to send to mixed I’ll just send to a local mixed school near me.

It's not really much more right wing, there is a lots of overlap as in many families could fit into either. Pardes - the school - is more heimish/chasidish leaning, but the families are a large mix, they will also accept families who dont particularly fit so might seem to be more 'modern' but they definitely are not. The boys all go to the same high schools from both schools, and from tashbar in edgware.

I really dont know much about beit shvidler but if you are considering noam I think it's worth looking into.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:38 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Noam is definitely mixed, at a certain age they separate for kodesh lessons.

I thought so too

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 10:44 am
the Edgware schools

Beis shvidler is mixed, it's more modern orthodox

Tashbar was originally set up for the kollel people who moved to Edgware. It's a yeshivish school,

Beis chinuch is the girls Edgware alternative to beis yakov, but maybe more similar to soroh shnierer.. I don't know...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 3:27 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
the Edgware schools

Beis shvidler is mixed, it's more modern orthodox

Tashbar was originally set up for the kollel people who moved to Edgware. It's a yeshivish school,

Beis chinuch is the girls Edgware alternative to beis yakov, but maybe more similar to soroh shnierer.. I don't know...

Thanks. We looked into both options. Tashbar is a Kollel school and Beis Shivdler is like Hasmo.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:00 pm
We had a similar situation when we moved to london from israel. We ended up sending to Noam and it was wonderful for my daughter. There are definitely very frum families who send there. But if u want a very yeshivish high school for ur son it may be difficult getting him in if he went to Noam. Either way I wish u hatzlacha and keep pushing for what u want

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:22 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
We had a similar situation when we moved to london from israel. We ended up sending to Noam and it was wonderful for my daughter. There are definitely very frum families who send there. But if u want a very yeshivish high school for ur son it may be difficult getting him in if he went to Noam. Either way I wish u hatzlacha and keep pushing for what u want

I see I’m not alone. Thanks. We tried Noam but they are completely completely full.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:55 am
Ok, I’m giving up. Some kids already started school here. I called every person I could think of. No hopes, no promises..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:18 am
And to the poster that said- every kid in London gets into school- you are living in denial. Your comment left a really bitter taste in my mouth and a lot of hurt in my heart.

I spoke to many parents this week that literally had to move walls and threaten to go to the council, or even go to the council, to get their child in.

I’m so happy you never had this issue and I pay you never will, but don’t close your eyes and give holier-then-thou comments to those of suffering from this.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:30 am
OP, I am so sorry for what you are going through. I don't know if this helps, but I just said a kapital tehillim for you that something should work out Crying .

Success10

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:37 am
Do not stop calling. Do not make the start of school as your absolute deadline to find him a place, it sometimes helps if they are at home for a week or two. It shows the schools you are serious. Pick one school where you think you have the best chances and direct all your energy into it. Hashem is bigger than all of this.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:20 pm
I'm so sorry op, I can't imagine how painful this is. I'm going to try to find out if there is anything else you can do.
Most schools haven't started yet, so dont give up on that account. Many schools are starting next week and some the week after.

Eta: I found this on Google search

https://www.jweb.org.uk/servic.....hools

I don't know whether they are active anymore, but they definitely used to help with getting children into schools.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I see I’m not alone. Thanks. We tried Noam but they are completely completely full.

If you were willing to look at Noam, would you look at Beit Shvidler? Everyone I know there is very happy.
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics