Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
I'm writing a children's book iyh
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 10:13 am
I'm doing it as a side job and hope to have it ready towards the end of the school year. I want it to be a book that will teach but through pictures and enjoyable storyline. Any tips or advice from those who know about the process? Any tips or advice from moms/teachers- what kind of book do you dream of buying for your child or students. What kind of book do you think is missing or you would for sure buy

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 10:37 am
A few ideas for childrens books...

1. Gam zu ltova, dealing with when plans change and things dont go your way (example like cant go to park cuz of the rain)

2. Taking notice of others. Like helping pick up when someone drops things, keeping door open for person behind you etc

3. Being happy with what you have. On a child level...being happy with the color candy you received, not being jealous when sibling gets a prize etc

*I personally dont love rhyming books, I find often the story gets confusing because the message has to fit into the whole rhyme...I like when it's short and sweet and the examples are very relatable to little kids. I find it odd when the examples are so out there and extreme

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 10:45 am
1. Avoid rhyme unless you're another Dr. Seuss. If the line doesn't scan, don't use it!
2. Have a moral lesson but don't lay it on too thick. Teach a few facts about the physical world instead of just preaching.
3. Praise Am Yisrael without denigrating or demonizing nonJews or nonobservant Jews.
4. Have an English expert go over it to correct any grammatical and spelling errors. Children will be learning from this book; make sure that what they learn is correct.

Hatzlacha!

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 10:52 am
Please include images of women and girls as much as men and boys---and ensure the active plot has active female characters a much as active male characters, etc. I feel strongly that both boys and girls need to see that both boys and girls are directly involved in living a Torah life. I think having male centric books too often doesn't show either boys or girls where girls/women fit in living an active Torah life.

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 10:53 am
Listen. And comply with your parents requests, not because you understand why.
Just because Hashem said so.

Lovable

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 11:07 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
A few ideas for childrens books...

1. Gam zu ltova, dealing with when plans change and things dont go your way (example like cant go to park cuz of the rain)

2. Taking notice of others. Like helping pick up when someone drops things, keeping door open for person behind you etc

3. Being happy with what you have. On a child level...being happy with the color candy you received, not being jealous when sibling gets a prize etc

*I personally dont love rhyming books, I find often the story gets confusing because the message has to fit into the whole rhyme...I like when it's short and sweet and the examples are very relatable to little kids. I find it odd when the examples are so out there and extreme

And I personally ADORE rhyming books - the good ones! Think messes of dresses, Yossi & Laibel etc. those books are so fun to read and so relatable, so if Op's got the talent, I say GO FOR IT
The key to good rhyming is making sure you dont twist the line in order for it to rhyme (ha!)

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 11:49 am
Published author of children's books here.

You don't write a book to teach a lesson. You write a book to tell a story. Even young children can understand the challenge and resolution of a plot. Don't condescend to your readers.

Very few publishers want rhyming books. If you're going to use rhyme, you need to do it perfectly.

There's always a market for good books, but you will improve your chances by seeing what's already out there and what need you can meet. Some publishers and agents have wish lists, and you can go one Publisher's Marketplace to see what they are looking for now.

Good luck!

librarygirl

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:01 pm
As a librarian I can tell you there is a big need for easy readers. Jewish books tend to be either picture books that are too hard for little kids to read themselves, or chapter books for older kids. There is one yom tov series by faigy rosenberg (a bud for simi, rivky on the job...)it's great, but that's about it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:04 pm
I would love there to be more frum books that present a realistic picture of life. Where the mother is not constantly around and smiling with fresh cookies and milk, where the house is messy, old or small, the siblings are annoying, etc. I think it's a major problem that frum children's books always present everything as picture perfect, and if it's the one thing that's not perfect, it's the problem which the storyline is attempting to solve. Would love if the entire setting, characters etc. were realistic.

English3

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:07 pm
As a mother I am chiming in. I went to the library for my dd6 and was looking for something she can actually read. Most books had very sophisticated wording more for a nine year old with a story line for younger kids. I would love a book for younger kids with words they can read as well.

English3

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I would love there to be more frum books that present a realistic picture of life. Where the mother is not constantly around and smiling with fresh cookies and milk, where the house is messy, old or small, the siblings are annoying, etc. I think it's a major problem that frum children's books always present everything as picture perfect, and if it's the one thing that's not perfect, it's the problem which the storyline is attempting to solve. Would love if the entire setting, characters etc. were realistic.

Why not let kids have imagination. I think clean and smiley characters give a positive feeling when reading. There is enough mess at home. Do you also want ads and pictures in a decorating magazine to look all messy?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:12 pm
English3 wrote:
Why not let kids have imagination. I think clean and smiley characters give a positive feeling when reading. There is enough mess at home. Do you also want ads and pictures in a decorating magazine to look all messy?

YES

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

Very few publishers want rhyming books. If you're going to use rhyme, you need to do it perfectly.

Can't imagine that's true. Seems to me, based on all the rhyming frum children's books out there, that rhyming books is specifically what they're looking for. Rhyming books are so overdone, and rarely done well. Please avoid rhyming.

English3

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:17 pm
There is nothing wrong about writing a story about a kid that didn't like his tiny apartment and how he learnt to accept it. But bringing negativity reflects what is inside a person. It gives a sense of harmony when you read a book that gives a positive vibe, BC that's what we strive for.

English3

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:19 pm
As a teacher we always looked for books with simple rhymes to teach the girls rythm, we only had secular books. I think there is a very big demand in the schools for rhyming books.

trixx

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
Listen. And comply with your parents requests, not because you understand why.
Just because Hashem said so.

And I want books that are actually developmentally and psychologically appropriate.
Not this.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:24 pm
English3 wrote:
There is nothing wrong about writing a story about a kid that didn't like his tiny apartment and how he learnt to accept it. But bringing negativity reflects what is inside a person. It gives a sense of harmony when you read a book that gives a positive vibe, BC that's what we strive for.

Realistic pictures and characters aren't negativity. It does a disservice to show kids a utopic frum existence, which they then compare to their own lives and think something must be wrong.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 12:26 pm
Please no rhyming
Just an easy to follow story

wifeandmore

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 2:31 pm
I always see frum moms saying "no rhymes" but they CAN be done well! I love rhyming books. Yes, I dislike when they use a random word or a double negative to make it rhyme, but smooth rhyming is a winner for me!

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 2:53 pm
This is for ages 2-5

Please no rhyming!
Use appropriate vocabulary for the target age.
Be mindful of how many words you put on a page.

The book should not be too long. You don't want parents groaning when their pick the book for a bedtime story and trying to skip pages.

No overt lessons. There are so many Jewish kids books that are just about the lesson.

How about a story? one the kids can relate to. With a begining middle and end. Or it can be an informative book such as the " I go to" series but with real pictures.
Not too much dialogue.

The illustrations are really important.
They should be clear and complex.
Even better, you can use real photographs.
There should be what to talk about on the page besides for the words. This is another way to use books to increase language, critical thinking, imagination, and general world knowledge. Most Jewish children's books are severely lacking.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers