Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail with Triangle K
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:53 pm
A well known busy supermarket on 13th Ave is selling Ocean Spray Cranberry juice with Triangle K.

I think Triangle K is a Hechsher not usually used by Chassidim, and BP is a 95% Chassidish neighborhood.

Is there something unusual about the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice that makes it usable?

I have never come across anything in that store with a Hechsher that wasnt commonly used by 95% of Boro Park residents.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:57 pm
Yes, I noticed this item in bingo in Lakewood and was wondering about the hechsher too.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:04 pm
Everyone I knows drinks ocean spray cranberry juice. I do not live in Lakewood. But I do not think you should slander any hechsher regardless of how “weak” you think it is

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:05 pm
My family doesn't trust triangle k for anything except Ocean Spray cranberry juice.

I once asked my father and he said for cranberry juice that has barely any ingredients it's ok.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Everyone I knows drinks ocean spray cranberry juice. I do not live in Lakewood. But I do not think you should slander any hechsher regardless of how “weak” you think it is

Op is from Brooklyn, not Lakewood but whatever…

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Op is from Brooklyn, not Lakewood but whatever…

I’m not from Brooklyn either

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:07 pm
Why was the OP reported? Triangle k is a controversial hashgacha that many many people don't trust.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A well known busy supermarket on 13th Ave is selling Ocean Spray Cranberry juice with Triangle K.

Is there something unusual about the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice that makes it usable?

I asked DH who's a kashrus professional (and for context, we're JPF, so this is not a machmir position):

His response :

No, not at all. It should not be used!

Then he added :

I would love to know which store so that I could message the supervision and ask them what they know that I don't know from being in the plant where it's made sometimes.

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:19 pm
cbsp wrote:
I asked DH who's a kashrus professional (and for context, we're JPF, so this is not a machmir position):

His response :

No, not at all. It should not be used!

Then he added :

I would love to know which store so that I could message the supervision and ask them what they know that I don't know from being in the plant where it's made sometimes.

I'm quite surprised. My father is a (black hat Brooklyn) Rav and used to be in kashrus and we have always used Ocean Spray cranberry juice and no other triangle k product.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:23 pm
Reality wrote:
I'm quite surprised. My father is a (black hat Brooklyn) Rav and used to be in kashrus and we have always used Ocean Spray cranberry juice and no other triangle k product.

I don't know.

I too grew up in BP (70s-90s) and I remember seeing the products on the shelves in the heimish stores.

Kashrus is broad.

I know DH goes to this plant (he's mentioned that they bottle clam juice on some of the lines), can you ask your father what he bases permission on?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:25 pm
Reality wrote:

How does that make sense? Either a Hechsher is good or is isnt.

Its not 100 juice. If it would be it would be different.

Does anyone know Rabbi Ralbag's Shul affiliation?

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:26 pm
cbsp wrote:
I don't know.

I too grew up in BP (70s-90s) and I remember seeing the products on the shelves in the heimish stores.

Kashrus is broad.

I know DH goes to this plant (he's mentioned that they bottle clam juice on some of the lines), can you ask your father what he bases permission on?

My father never went to the Ocean Spray plant.

I will ask him.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:30 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:

I reworded the OP. Is it ok now?

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How does that make sense? Either a Hechsher is good or is isnt.

Does anyone know Rabbi Ralbag's Shul affiliation?

My understanding is that it's not a shul affiliation thing. Rabbi Ralbag is an ehrliche yid. He has a difference of opinion as to what is required for kashrus standards and the organization is run accordingly...

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I reworded the OP. Is it ok now?

Yes much better. Thank you

But to address another point you made above: hechshers are never black and white. You’ll always have those who don’t accept one or another. I’d say hechsherim and kashrut are one of the least universal things

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:36 pm
There are many people that don't eat ou but every single bingle kashrus agency large or small or one man show will rely on the ou at some point.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not necessarily. It depends on the processing (hot vs cold, pasteurization, etc.)

Once again from DH:

They can pack other items on the same lines, grape as well as potential other non-kosher items. When one is not checking if equipment is kashered, the safe presumption is that it isn't kashered.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:40 pm
cbsp wrote:
Not necessarily. It depends on the processing (hot vs cold, pasteurization, etc.)

Once again from DH:

They can pack other items on the same lines, grape as well as potential other non-kosher items. When one is not checking if equipment is kashered, the safe presumption is that it isn't kashered.

That makes 10000000000000% sense to me.

So back to my question, why is it selling in a store where Ive never seen any exceptions of foods that most Chassidishe people eat.

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:40 pm
I just asked my father again. He doesn't have a satisfactory answer. Just that for generations ocean spray cranberry juice has been considered ok to drink. And all the frum stores carry it unlike other triangle k products.

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:41 pm
cbsp wrote:
I don't know.

Kashrus is broad.

My father also said that's an old rumor that's been going around for years.

Has your husband seen that personally?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen