Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Dealing with a newborn

curlyhead

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 5:17 am
My daugther is now 6 days old and I am going crazy from the lack of sleep and her crazy schedule. She has the schedule that she will have like 3 decant sleeps and then the rest of the day she catnaps for 10, 20 or 30 min or maybe a bit longer. She always falls asleep while nursing I try to wake her up to finish. She will nurse for no more then 30 min - normaly shorter. When my son was born he was always sleeping. maybe he had one unsetteled period during the day. And he nursed for like 45 min.
Now that I have a toddler also it is hard to rest whenever she does.
Any tips on settling a baby?
I know it is only the first few weeks

zuncompany

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 11:21 am
I can only tell you what I did. My second is now 3 months old. I got a take-a-long swing, and Tev will nap in it. He loves loves loves it. I personally keep it on my dinning room table so that my one year old can't bug him. Also the bouncy seat gets used a lot. My one year needs me a lot (he wants mommy to play with him) and gets upset if mommy is playing with him and holding baby Tev. Now after 3 months he is getting better. He doesn't mind Tev so much. I found though what helped me was as soon as Zu went down for a nap, forget keeping house... nap time for me. If Tev woke up I would cuddled up with him in my bed and nurse him and let him sleep on me. I needed the nap. Now I feel much more alert and am able to get things done instead or play with Tev one on one than.

Smile
sara

miriam

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 11:25 am
I took naps in my bed with both kids. I would do it when my two year old was really tired. I would lie down between them and nurse the baby. Hey, I still do it and the baby is 10 months old LOL

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 9:00 pm
My twins are 4mnths forget about sleep what you are experiancing Rivky I have it doubled b"h. Hope I made it easier for you already Very Happy

micki

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 10:00 pm
I would wear my newbies in a baby carrier. they fall asleep so much deeper that way.
also if my baby slept during the day I'd wake them and try to swich their patterns. also I'd accept that being tireed is a new way of life...

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 10:10 pm
Micki
Quote:
also if my baby slept during the day I'd wake them and try to swich their patterns.

I try to do that too but sometimes it does'nt work Exclamation

micki

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 10:56 pm
your right its more for me to feel that I am doing something. by the time you think you are in control they change anyways...

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Nov 09 2004, 11:22 pm
I think sling (not carrier) is the best solutions. Some people even can nurce while the baby''s in it. Just make sure your newborn fits into it - mne didn't LOL

micki

Post Wed, Nov 10 2004, 8:44 am
I meant a baby bjorn type or snuggly what ever you call it.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Nov 10 2004, 10:17 am
I know, but 'sitting' can be tiring and uncomfortable for a newborn.
I find that the newborns are happyer in a sling type of carrier, where they can lay down. Older kids like the upright ones beter, b/c they can actually see something out of them.

But than again, it all depends one each kid - they have their own minds & opinions Wink

zuncompany

Post Wed, Nov 10 2004, 10:31 am
Each kid is different. My boys hate the sling. Kick and scream. The bjorn though they both love. Zu wishes he still could get in it (yeah right!) and Tev loved to sleep on my chest when I put him in.

Sara
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics