Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Seminary and Covid vaccine
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:37 pm
Not really sure which forum this should go in.
My daughter is suppose to go to Seminary in E"Y.
She does not have a positive PCR. She does have antibodies. We don't remember when she was sick because it must of been very mild.
I dont want her to get the vaccine right now as I have spoken to a scientist who said if have antibodies don't need a vaccine.

Would you give a vaccine just to go to seminary. All her friends are going either with a positive PCR or other ways which I cant do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:55 pm
Bump

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:58 pm
As far as I know, she won't be able to get a student visa without proof of vaccination or recovery. And, at some later date, she may not be able to get on a flight out of Israel without having been vaccinated.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:15 am
Isn't it a bit late to be discussing this? It takes at least three weeks to get the two vaccine doses, and three weeks from today is already Rosh HaShana. Does her seminary not start until after the chagim? It seems to me that by waiting this long you've effectively made a decision.

yc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 2:14 am
she can take the 'serological' test in israel and that gives her the 'recovered' status which is no different than vaccinated in Israel. no need for vaccine.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 2:26 am
yc wrote:
she can take the 'serological' test in israel and that gives her the 'recovered' status which is no different than vaccinated in Israel. no need for vaccine.

That won't be enough to allow her on to the plane, nor get her a student visa.

potatoes

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 2:45 am
They aren't accepting antibodies?

yc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 2:55 am
as far as getting on the plane, a negative pcr is needed. not vaccine.

as far as visa - I don't know much about it but look up 'chaim v'chessed' they have all the info and are extremely helpful with these things. they also answer the phone if you have specific questions.

I assumed you meant once in israel she wouldn't be able to go anywhere without the vaccine. for that the serological test would be just as effective. I guess I misunderstood that.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 3:04 am
I believe the requirements for a student visa are more stringent than for a regular tourist visa, since they will be staying here long term and living in close quarters in a dorm.

I think the government is requiring vaccine certificates, or at least proof that someone tested positive in the past. There are a lot of different methods for quantifying antibodies, so they don't accept foreign antibody tests. Beyond that, the seminary may have its own requirements. No seminary wants to have Corona going through the dorms or deal with bidud again if they can avoid it.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 3:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She does not have a positive PCR. She does have antibodies. We don't remember when she was sick because it must of been very mild.

A mild illness often leads to a low level of antibodies.

Quote:
I dont want her to get the vaccine right now as I have spoken to a scientist who said if have antibodies don't need a vaccine.

Other scientists will say the opposite - that even post infection it is advisable to have at least one dose of the vaccine, if not two.

Quote:
Would you give a vaccine just to go to seminary. All her friends are going either with a positive PCR or other ways which I cant do.

What does she want to do?

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:41 am
yc wrote:

The igud for seminaries and yeshivos made an agreement with the government that all American students coming in would either be vaccinated or have documentation of a past positive PCR. So no, she can’t do that. I guess it depends how badly her daughter wants to go. She’s very late trying to figure this out though- all the student visas were given out last week. We don’t even have the worst of it. South African students needed to spend 2 weeks in a green country first. And British students have been there since the beginning of august because of quarantine.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:44 am
potatoes wrote:
They aren't accepting antibodies?

No. And they were very clear about that. Months ago. In enough time to get fully vaccinated.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not really sure which forum this should go in.
My daughter is suppose to go to Seminary in E"Y.

If I was not comfortable with the vaccine, I would not give it go my child just for seminary. Many people don't really want their kids to have it and are just giving it to them due to societal pressure. It's sad and hopefully no one regrets it down the road.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:26 am
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
If I was not comfortable with the vaccine, I would not give it go my child just for seminary. Many people don't really want their kids to have it and are just giving it to them due to societal pressure. It's sad and hopefully no one regrets it down the road.

There are a lot of students who opted to stay home this year. The American seminaries were swamped with applications.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:29 am
OP - have you or she communicated this to your daughter’s seminary? I really don’t understand the question coming at this time since my daughter’s sem asked for a copy of her vaccination record weeks ago. What did they say about her vaccine status and ability to get a student visa?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:11 am
It doesn't make sense that the OP is only trying to make a decision now. Maybe she was hoping there would be a change of policy at the last moment, but she should have had this information from the seminary a long time ago.

If her daughter isn't vaccinated by now I don't think she can go. Even if the seminary allows her to come after the chagim I don't know if she could get a student visa then, and she would have to make arrangements for doing bidud on her own instead of with the seminary.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:13 am
Call the seminary

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:44 am
Elfrida wrote:
It doesn't make sense that the OP is only trying to make a decision now. Maybe she was hoping there would be a change of policy at the last moment, but she should have had this information from the seminary a long time ago.

If her daughter isn't vaccinated by now I don't think she can go. Even if the seminary allows her to come after the chagim I don't know if she could get a student visa then, and she would have to make arrangements for doing bidud on her own instead of with the seminary.

She isn’t the only one. There is at least one girl going to my daughter’s seminary who doesn’t have antibodies and isn’t getting the vaccine. The mother knew this was the policy and disregarded it completely, assuming something would change. The only problem is that we were told in March or April that these would likely be the requirements, and in May we knew for sure. This is not new news. And the Israeli government had enough trouble with Americans pretending to be students last year, to make sure the rules were airtight. Students are between the ages of 16-26, must be on a school list, and must have a positive PCR or full vaccination. Even then, they will draw antibodies when the girls get there and they still have to go into bidud for at least a week.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:50 am
DO NOT get her vaccinated just to go to seminary! If you feel that there are potential risks, doesn't that come first?
Maybe apply to seminaries in America.
Maalot/Wits of Baltimore has an amazing program. No dorm, but many out of town girls board.
It is late to apply but you can explain the situation. Rebbetzin Rosenbaum is understanding.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:51 am
Don’t ask here. Just call your seminary and see if they’ll work with you. There are plenty of girls going without taking the vaccine. I’m worried about the girls without antibodies though. Good luck.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics