Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Giving up secular books for Elul
1  2  Next

Do you try to give up secular literature for Elul?
I never read secular literature  
 20%  [ 15 ]
I see nothing wrong with secular literature so wouldn't give it up  
 45%  [ 33 ]
I understand your desire to improve but wouldn't do it myself  
 21%  [ 16 ]
I am also trying but it's a struggle  
 10%  [ 8 ]
I firmly refrain for Elul/ Tishrei  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 73

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:48 pm
I am trying, but it's so hard!

I have lots of non-fiction (nutrition, psychology, science etc) but it doesn't relax me like a good cozy mystery.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:58 pm
Did you mean Lent?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:03 pm
I don’t give up secular books for Elul, but I 100% respect you for doing so (or trying to)!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:20 pm
Quote:
Did you mean Lent?

Very funny.

My point is to try to improve for Aseres Yemei Teshuvah (that much I hope I can do) but to start in Elul.

Actually in past years I've stayed off imamother for Elul & Tishrei. Just trying to be more spiritually focused, less time-wasting etc.

In other words, trying to be the person I wish I could be but am not there yet, but at least for this period of Teshuva I can show Hashem that I am trying to be more.

So I thought I'd see if others relate or not.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:42 pm
Other. I don’t read much secular literature but would prob choose a different book this time of year.

paperflowers

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 7:39 pm
I selected the third choice. It’s not that I wouldn’t ever, but I’m not at the moment. One year I used Elul as as time to stay away from some specific reading material that I thought was bad for me. I extended it through aseres yimei teshuva, then through sukkos, and eventually got over the need to read it. I think it’s a beautiful thing to cut down on some of the secular influences during this time in order to focus on connecting to HaShem. It’s hard though!

Last edited by paperflowers on Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:02 pm
I'm trying. I mostly read them on my tablet so I am thinking about deleting the library app. It's such a guilty pleasure!

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:07 pm
I unsuscribed from Amazon Prime, so no more movies and I'm proud about that. And it's actually very hard.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am trying, but it's so hard!

I have lots of non-fiction (nutrition, psychology, science etc) but it doesn't relax me like a good cozy mystery.

Can you read Jewish novels during this time? There are some good ones.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:38 pm
Kol HaKovod, Ladies!

You are an inspiration!

Applause Applause Applause

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:17 pm
I don't get it. You either think Secular literature is right or wrong. If it's wrong in elul, it's wrong year round.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:49 pm
OP, kol hakavod. But you know what they say about kabalos. Make sure they're not too big and that they're sustainable. In this case, you really have to strategize how you'll fill the void. Hatzlacha!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
I don't get it. You either think Secular literature is right or wrong. If it's wrong in elul, it's wrong year round.

I've heard that said about kabalos like CY or pas Yisrael just during the aseres yemei teshuva. The idea is that the beginning of the year is like wet cement and we imprint for the rest of yet year. Taking on some kabbala is powerful. Sometimes they're time-limited, sometimes they're intended for life. But even if the former, it should make an impact on us. Going back to the secular literature, maybe someone will start to make some gedarim she didn't have before eg.

scruffy

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:52 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:

I don't get how it's any different from refraining from Pas Palter during Aseres Yemei Teshuva.

We try to hold ourselves to a higher standard at this time.

(BTW you're inspiring me OP! I chose the third option but I wish I was in a place to do what you're doing now)

ETA cross posted with Pink Fridge

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:55 pm
scruffy wrote:
I don't get how it's any different from refraining from Pas Palter during Aseres Yemei Teshuva.

(BTW you're inspiring me OP! I chose the third option but I wish I was in a place to do what you're doing now)

I don't get it either. Something is either right or wrong. It's the first time I'm hearing of not doing certain things in elul.

Geulanow

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 10:12 pm
I have heard that when doing teshuva, it's sometimes better to do things gradually.
In giving up secular reading, you should have a definite plan of what you plan to substitute for it that is positive.
Giving up food that is not pas Yisrael is a minhag . Maybe ask a Rav before you decide to bli neder make your own minhag.

paperflowers

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:09 pm
I want to answer those questioning the practice of "giving things up" during Elul. It's not like Lent where you have to stop doing something you enjoy. It's about finding an area in which to do teshuva and focusing on that during this time. Teshuva consists of both "sur meirah" (e.g. avoiding literary content that detracts from your spiritual growth) and "asei tov" (e.g. learning a sefer that inspires you to connect with Hashem). The examples I gave are bein adam lamakom because that's where this conversation started, but the same applies bein adam lechaveiro.

There are a few reasons why it's valuable to take something on for the month of Elul, even if you don't plan to maintain it. It is much easier to commit to trying something for a month than for the rest of your life, and this time of teshuva is a good place to start. Second, having been in that place of being more in line with your values and beliefs gives you something to look back on and remember that you are capable of doing that, so it can inspire you later on. Third, there is an idea that Elul atones for the rest of the year, and there is something to that even if the teshuva is temporary. There are various parables about how when the king comes to town people are more careful with following the law, and this is the time of year when we are closer to our King, so people are more careful with mitzvos.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:12 pm
Sorry, I don't buy it. Teshuva doesn't mean stopping to do something for a month and then continuing to do it. Part of teshuva is kabbalah al ha'asid. And if one thinks that reading secular literature is something they need to do teshuva for, they shouldn't be doing it the rest of the year either.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:16 pm
scruffy wrote:

I don't give up secular books because I believe that good literature, the kind that gives you insights into the working of the soul, is religiously valuable. If you read trash, then maybe you'd want to give that up during Elul in favor of better books.

As for taking on higher standards in kashrus temporarily, that is a longstanding tradition. It requires an awareness (so often lacking) that the world isn't black and white, that one thing can be preferable without the other thing being forbidden. And it's ok to be a bit of a hypocrite when you're trying to improve. You're admitting that you aspire to something even if you're not there.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:17 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
I don't give up secular books because I believe that good literature, the kind that gives you insights into the working of the soul, is religiously valuable. If you read trash, then maybe you'd want to give that up during Elul in favor of better books.

I also don't understand why all "secular" literature should be lumped together as somehow less "worthy" of books that are lumped together as frum.

So a frum poorly written book that reads like a soap opera is somehow more elevating to one's spirit than a beautifully written book that deals honestly with human emotions and psychology.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur