Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Ideas of how to occupy 9 month old baby

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:05 am
I have an active 9 month old baby boruch hashem

I work in the afternoons and I'm free weekends and every morning to spend time with him

What can I do with him besides for going to the park and playing on the floor with him and taking him along with me on my errands?

Maybe there isn't anything else but I am a ftm and would appreciate any advice.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:10 am
I'm asking because he sleeps less then he used to so I have less time for myself and I can't leave him alone for a minute as he climbs all over so looking for some new interesting ideas which will be good for both of us

English3

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:15 am
A door swing? He should be able to play himself with toys.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:17 am
English3 wrote:
A door swing? He should be able to play himself with toys.

He does but then he sees me on the couch and comes to stand next to me every few minutes but he'll fall if I don't watch him

s1

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:45 am
Taking him with you on errands and letting him watch you around the house is one of the best things you can do for a child. Allowing him to experience different places, sights and sounds and discover things around the house safely. Sing davening with him in the morning. Put music on and dance. Give him some pots and spoons while you cook. Let him play with socks while you fold laundry. Talk to him and tell him everything you are doing.
Out of the house, see if you can find a mother and baby swimming session or a baby singing/music/exercise group, added benefits are that you’ll meet other mummies so you get a social too.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:54 am
Funny, I have a 9mo and with solids I'm only just now starting to feel like we have enough time to actually do anything between naps. I was thinking of posting something similar to see if I'm missing on any activities I should be doing.

Not sure if this is helpful and anyway all babies are different, but this is what we do: wake, breastfeed, she plays in the play pen or with DH, or on the floor in the kitchen while I prep her solids breakfast. Breakfast I estimate takes at least twenty minutes. She hand feeds herself Cheerios while I spoon feed her yogurt with fruit I crushed in and give her water while I also eat and have coffee.

Then depending on the weather we might go out in our garden for a short bit but usually I take her into the playroom. She plays while I lay on the floor and either play with her or if she's totally absorbed in her playing I'll go on my phone a bit, but I prefer using this time to play with her. We have a Baby Einstein activity table amongst other toys if that's helpful to you. Then we do bedtime routine and nap. After nap is similar to above (breastfeed, solids) except instead of playing indoors I try to take her out, weather permitting. We'll go for a long walk, or to stores, or wherever. Then there's afternoon nap, bottle, DH usually wears her when he walks the dogs and then bedtime routine.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:37 am
An exersaucer will save your sanity.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Exe....._noss

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:58 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I wouldn't start an exersaucer at this age. You don't want to keep him stationary at this point if he's moving around.

I would get a walker so he can walk around safety and it's also an activity center.

jd1212

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
I wouldn't start an exersaucer at this age. You don't want to keep him stationary at this point if he's moving around.

I would get a walker so he can walk around safety and it's also an activity center.

Walkers are actually strongly recommended against by OTs and pediatricians because of risk of falling down stairs, etc. https://www.mayoclinic.org/hea.....58263

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:12 am
jd1212 wrote:
Walkers are actually strongly recommended against by OTs and pediatricians because of risk of falling down stairs, etc. https://www.mayoclinic.org/hea.....58263

I meant this style walker. Also if baby is at risk of falling down stairs, you need to block the stairs.

https://www.amazon.com/VTech-S.....0cnVl

trixx

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:11 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Outdated advice don't follow this

queen esther

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 12:47 am
trixx wrote:
Outdated advice don't follow this

What's wrong with an exersaucer?
I wouldn't keep my nine month old in it very long but for a short time- like I need to prep dinner, or just know she'll be in one spot for a bit- she has toys attached and loves it! Plenty of time to crawl and stand other times.

My baby loves to crawl around the house, explore everything, has a toy piano she likes, really with older kids there's so much stuff around it's all interesting for her. Oldest is harder because you have to do all the entertaining. We have a shape sorter.. She can't do it yet but likes when I put pieces in and take them out. Banging with pots or cups can keep her busy on the floor in kitchen.
You can also start reading baby board books or soft books. She may try to chew it and not let you read much (at least that's what mine does lol) but the interaction, looking at the pages and colors is good.

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 12:48 am
queen esther wrote:
What's wrong with an exersaucer?
I wouldn't keep my nine month old in it very long but for a short time- like I need to prep dinner, or just know she'll be in one spot for a bit- she has toys attached and loves it! Plenty of time to crawl and stand other times.

My baby loves to crawl around the house, explore everything, has a toy piano she likes, really with older kids there's so much stuff around it's all interesting for her. Oldest is harder because you have to do all the entertaining. We have a shape sorter.. She can't do it yet but likes when I put pieces in and take them out. Banging with pots or cups can keep her busy on the floor in kitchen.
You can also start reading baby board books or soft books. She may try to chew it and not let you read much (at least that's what mine does lol) but the interaction, looking at the pages and colors is good.

Not good for hip development

queen esther

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 12:52 am
trixx wrote:
Not good for hip development

Hmm thanks, good to know.

Window

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 2:28 am
I’m kinda in the same boat. My baby is just about 1.5 now. Buy toys- good toys! By good, I mean developmentally appropriate, learning activities. Toys that you’ll need to teach him how to play, but once he gets it, he’ll like it. What I did, I google Montessori toys for age ___. It gives me lots of ideas of age appropriately challenging toys.
Also books. Cardboard books. Or the laminated ones. You’ll teach him how to turn pages, say words and point to stuff.
And then here’s a biggie: rotate your toys!! Always have some away in storage and rotate them once a week (or however often you want), and it’s an exciting new toy each time! And use lots of language, the more you label the toys and actions, the quicker he’ll start repeating!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics