Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
5 year old suddenly really chutzpadik and mean

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:51 pm
5 yr old ds is suddenly not being himself. He has always been more impulsive and emotional than our other children, but now it's become intolerable. He is suddenly disobeying every single thing we tell him, repeatedly, with no remorse. He just laughs, or spits, or ignores us, or does exactly the opposite of what we tell him. Any attempt to discipline or reason with him is met with him being angry and yelling "I hate this family", or "I hate daddy/mommy". We have tried incentivizing, bribing, time outs, consequences, but to no avail. He has become extremely unpleasant to do anything with or bring anywhere, and his siblings are learning from him. We give him him so much extra love, attention, praise, but it doesn't seem to be having any impact.

He has never been like this, nor have any of my kids, and I have no idea where this is coming from. Should I be concerned?

trixx

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:56 pm
Pandas is what ppl will suggest

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:36 pm
Strep/pandas

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:10 pm
(I know nothing about pandas but I see so many people on this website suggest that this may be a cause in these kinds of situations. So I guess get that ruled out first....)
But otherwise....
Is he really like this ALL of the time? Or it is just happening more frequently?
I have a 5 year old who has started to do this more and more and goes through phases where he's fine for a certain amount of time and then starts up again. I feel like he is testing the limits. Partly based on what he has seen other kids doing. And just trying to see how far he can go to do what he wants to do/not do what we want him to do.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:19 pm
My immediate thoughts when my child starts acting very differently are 1. Are they sick 2. Is something going on at camp/ school 3. Was there a sudden life change ( baby, move, new school etc.. )

Zehava

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:47 pm
Are you in a bungalow colony? I see it with a lot of kids here towards the end of the summer. Roaming around all day, lack of routine, late bedtime, it gets to them eventually.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics