Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Last minute school change for September
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:51 pm
Can someone please give me ideas of schools that would accept a 10 th grade girl who is bright, deep, questioning and struggling, but not defiant. I know it’s late in the game, but trust me we’ve been doing our best. Besides Ateres in monsey what other schools would be flexible? Does anyone know of a suggestion as to who helps these kids get into school?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 12:55 am
Nesivos is an amazing organization based in Lakewood for struggling teens and their parents. They know a lot about school options but I don't know if you have to be from Lakewood for them to help you. Even if they can't help you they may be able to direct you to where you can get the help you need.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 1:24 am
Where are you located? How about Retek in monsey?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:04 am
What is Retek?Do you have more information?

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:05 am
Can you tell us a bit about her struggles? ADD, anxiety, social issues? Some schools are better at handling different challenges.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:36 am
Retek sounds chassidish, we are litvish. We sent to typical BY then tried bruriah ,but she needs a more open minded ,but warm school with the right hashkafos, not so far to the left, where the girls are learning farcrumpt ideas.
To answer you about her struggles, ADHD, anxiety, bipolar ( but all managed well now b”h) and struggles with different tznius and hashkafa issues.That being said, she is not defiant and listens to us, teachers, but needs some flexibility and acceptance. Does any school you can think of fit the bill?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 6:17 am
Prospect sounds perfect, but not ideal if you're located in monsey.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:27 am
I read about such a school in Lakewood.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....14285

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:31 am
Maayanot.

I can't say enough good things.

I'm pretty sure there is a Monsey bus

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Prospect sounds perfect, but not ideal if you're located in monsey.

I second prospect. Do you have family in brooklny

chestnut

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:59 pm
Prospect brooklyn is only if she's very academic. I disagree with this school choice because of a Tznius issue. Unfortunately, no BY school in brooklyn will be easy on tznius
and open minded enough.
I'd look for non BY, more MO schools. What was the issue with Bruriah? I thought they're pretty open minded.

petals

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 10:23 pm
Shalsheles

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 10:49 pm
What does farcrumpt mean?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:43 am
what is shalsheles and where is it?

"farcrumpt" means that the ideas are anti-torah. Just "feel good" judaism.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:14 am
Well if you think that Bruriah is espousing "anti Torah" ideas and "feel good Judaism," I don't think Maayanot is the right place either. I am stunned by your declaration.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
Well if you think that Bruriah is espousing "anti Torah" ideas and "feel good Judaism," I don't think Maayanot is the right place either. I am stunned by your declaration.

NOOOO! not those schools! I was specifically referring to a school that was suggested to us that sounds like they are doing this ! I would say something in the realm of "Conservadox". No halachic guidance etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:26 am
Can anyone suggest a person who can help me get her into the right place? There must be some tzaddikim out there that will help!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:30 am
So a centrist orthodox all girls school is probably better than one from the yeshivish world to allow for questioning.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 10:38 am
What was the issue with bruriah? You mentioned she needed more openminded than them? Can you clarify? Bc if that's the case no centrist mo school is going to work for you and you're likely going to have to compromise on something...

Shalsheles is a small kiruv school in Brooklyn that basically accepts everyone and is super warm. But transportation is going to be an issue. Same with nefesh, which I might have suggested.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 12:09 pm
If you would send out of town, Yeshiva of Greater Washington in Silver Spring MD may be a good option.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)