Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sensory issues school age kid regarding O.T

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 9:53 am
I think some of my dd problem is sensory. When my kid was a toddler. She loved touching and feeling. We gave her lots of play dough and other sensory items. She also had a pack until 7yrs that she sucked while rubbing a blanket. Again pure for sensory only used it after school to rewind. I see other bits of sensory but am wondering how this is addressed in school age kid. I'm so naive Is O.t a forever thing to provide sensory pressure. Is it just about making the kid happy. Taking off tags, sleeping with a weighted blanket. Or is it a therapy that will help her with her senses and graduate

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 9:56 am
I think therapy will definitely help her

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think some of my dd problem is sensory. When my kid was a toddler. She loved touching and feeling. We gave her lots of play dough and other sensory items. She also had a pack until 7yrs that she sucked while rubbing a blanket. Again pure for sensory only used it after school to rewind. I see other bits of sensory but am wondering how this is addressed in school age kid. I'm so naive Is O.t a forever thing to provide sensory pressure. Is it just about making the kid happy. Taking off tags, sleeping with a weighted blanket. Or is it a therapy that will help her with her senses and graduate

I think a sensory child will always be sensory minded. But OT can help make them more functional. My dd is really sensory and if she has sensory input at the beginning of the day, she's much calmer and better behaved. Her body is craving the sensory and she can't handle it. The OT has helped work with me and her to find what she likes/needs and create that in her day.
You may find it helpful to just have a couple of sessions for an assessment and to see how you can support her or what you want to work on.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 2:42 pm
It's not a forever thing. It will help regulate her, and there are things you can buy that she can use to help herself even after she finishes OT.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 2:56 pm
Look into a qualified OT that will provide reflex integration and sensory integration. This method literally changes the bodies natural patterns and sensory needs...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children