Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Adderal not helping properly

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 8:51 pm
My child is taking Adderal. It seems to be helping for sitting still but not helping for focusing. Can someone educate me on the types of meds for ADHD and what they are good for. Would like to be an educated consumer when walking into psychiatrists office.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:17 pm
I am on 36 mg of Concerta since childhood/ over 10 years…. It helps me focus and keeps my mood and impulsivity regulated. Gluck.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
My child is taking Adderal. It seems to be helping for sitting still but not helping for focusing. Can someone educate me on the types of meds for ADHD and what they are good for. Would like to be an educated consumer when walking into psychiatrists office.

Everyone reacts to these meds differently. There are so many choices out there and different mg can do different things- like smaller can help increase attention but as you go up it does increase attention but later can produce zombie effect- so attentive they almost cant focus in a classroom and the different things they need to pay attention to.
Good luck. It is a lot of trial and error...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:40 pm
I think Ritalin is usually recommended for children, Adderal for adults. What else have you tried?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:43 pm
A psychiatrist should be able to assess the situation and prescribe the exact medication he needs.
For my child, he asked us lots of questions, and then spoke with my child for an hour, until he came up with the precise medication. It’s working good bh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)