Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Sleeping at home while refinishing hard wood floors

momtra

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 11:11 pm
How long did you stay out of your house when you had hard wood floors finished with polyurethane?
Did you sleep in the house but on another floor? Did you move out completely?

njwife

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 11:13 pm
Move out completely, give it a couple of days minimum. Been there, was a horrible experience.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 12:46 am
You need to move out. My neighbors recently scraped and we were able to smell it down the block. The people that live above them also had to move out.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 6:52 am
I went to an environmental building supply store, and bought "low-e" stripper, stain, and varnish.

With the windows open, I was just fine - and I am very chemically sensitive. The finish doesn't last as long as a heavy lacquer or 2 part epoxy would, but it was worth it.

If you want a finish that will last through extremely heavy traffic, ask for a "bowling alley finish." You'll have to move out for several weeks, and keep the windows open for a few months. Still, you probably won't have to redo your floors for at least 20 to 30 years.

Pick your poison. Wink

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:00 am
We did the downstairs floors and slept upstairs with the bedroom doors closed. During the day I kept the bedroom doors closed with the windows open. The smell was very faint in the upstairs bedrooms . It was strong all over the house though. We didn’t move out and I’m happy we didn’t. We might do the upstairs now and I’m not sure if we’ll be able to sleep downstairs while it’s happening. I guess it depends on your house and which product is used.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics