Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
American Dream Mall, not doing well. Anything Im missing?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 8:33 am
Through the first two fiscal quarters of 2021, sales at American Dream stores have tallied $139 million — a measly sum compared to the $2 billion per year in sales a study had projected the mall would generate.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article.....08-20

Looks like American Dream mall may not be around too long.

Ive never been there. I dont have little kids any more, so the rides and entertainment doesnt excite me.

What, as a designer clothing bargains junkie, would I find there, that I wouldnt find elsewhere?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 8:35 am
It's a fun place to spend (lots!) money on activities like ice skating and water parks and Chickies sandwiches and overpriced cotton candy. There is nothing interesting to buy there. I've wondered how the shops cover their rents.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
It's a fun place to spend money on activities like ice skating and water parks and chickies and $10 cotton candy. There is nothing interesting to buy there. I've wondered how the shops cover their rents.

So as an adult looking for classy designer clothing bargains, its not a place I should be running to, and I wouldnt miss anything if it closes?

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 8:38 am
I am so sad to read this. I know the family (frum) who owns the mall. They are such tremendous baalei tzedakah and chessed, you wouldnt believe. I hope this turns around for them...
They opened when covid hit...I daven that they should be successful

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 8:47 am
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
I am so sad to read this. I know the family (frum) who owns the mall. They are such tremendous baalei tzedakah and chessed, you wouldnt believe. I hope this turns around for them...
They opened when covid hit...I daven that they should be successful

This. It was real bad Mazel with the timing. Who could have predicted it?

As someone who likes shopping, I haven’t been. Not that inclined to spend a day indoors with that many people, still. And not that included to spend $$$$ either. I’ll do my shopping online for now and spend my $ on outdoor activities. I’m sure I’m far from
The only one

amother
Milk

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 8:50 am
Not to worry, the family is far from destitute. They have plenty of other successful properties in their portfolio. And the place isn't losing money; it's just not making the kind of profits it expected.

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 8:54 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
This. It was real bad Mazel with the timing. Who could have predicted it?

As someone who likes shopping, I haven’t been. Not that inclined to spend a day indoors with that many people, still. And not that included to spend $$$$ either. I’ll do my shopping online for now and spend my $ on outdoor activities. I’m sure I’m far from
The only one

Same with me. Since covid began we dont really do unnecessary indoor activities...I wouldve gone to american dream if not for covid but so far havent been...

dankbar

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:13 am
Besides for the ice skating, amusement park, water rides, what else do they have there? What stores are there for shopping?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:17 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
Not to worry, the family is far from destitute. They have plenty of other successful properties in their portfolio. And the place isn't losing money; it's just not making the kind of profits it expected.

BeH I hope this is so. I'll try to have them in mind tomorrow when I say the mi shebeirach after yekum purkan.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:22 am
dankbar wrote:
Besides for the ice skating, amusement park, water rides, what else do they have there? What stores are there for shopping?

Zara, H&M, Primark, Banana Republic, Abercrombie Kids, DSW, Build a Bear, Aldo, Mango, Eddie Bauer, Saks Fifth Avenue, Old Navy, The Children's Place, Uniqlo, and more.

Tal New York and the Leviim Jewish art gallery are also located there.

I hear that the stores are closed on Sunday, since the mall is located in Bergen County, so only the entertainment is open on Sundays.

amother
White

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:30 am
I think that if the stores would be open on Sunday, more people would shop and they'd make more money.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:33 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I think that if the stores would be open on Sunday, more people would shop and they'd make more money.

Unfortunately that's not their choice- it's the county rules.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:36 am
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:

Correct, blue laws in Bergen county.

There was just a write up of this mall on NJ.com

amother
White

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:38 am

I know that. I basically meant to say that the stores being closed on Sunday is probably contributing to them not being as successful as they thought. Sunday is the biggest shopping day.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I know that. I basically meant to say that the stores being closed on Sunday is probably contributing to them not being as successful as they thought. Sunday is the biggest shopping day.

For Sabbath observant Jews. For everyone else, it's Friday, which is payday for many, and Saturday.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So as an adult looking for classy designer clothing bargains, its not a place I should be running to, and I wouldnt miss anything if it closes?

Designer items? Maybe at Saks. But no bargains.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Designer items? Maybe at Saks. But no bargains.

If only Century 21 would have a techias hamaisim, maybe we'll have that. They were originally supposed to have a large store in American Dream.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:23 am
Wow since when am I in the know before others, especially in shopping?! Wink But happy to share if will help anyone: September will be bringing grand opening of more (luxury) stores...
https://www.americandream.com/the-avenue
(Not that will be in my budget Confused What Wink

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:43 am

The decision to locate an enormous mall, in an area that has to be closed one day a week, one of the two huuuuge shopping days of the week, was probably not a good investment plan, making a "Dream", a nightmare for those who invested millions.

I dont know if they would have met their expectations in the era of Covid, if they had built the same kind of mall on property in another county, but it certainly would have been more financially gainful than in this area.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:44 am
zaq wrote:
For Sabbath observant Jews. For everyone else, it's Friday, which is payday for many, and Saturday.

I dont think thats accurate. You see plenty of shoppers on Sunday in malls in non Jewish areas.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries