Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why can’t we have puppy’s without being labeled weird?!😕
1  2  Next

Sparkle1

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 2:49 pm
I want a puppy so badly I’ve actually been wanting one since I’m little but it’s not excepted in my community and I don’t want to be viewed as weird and have trouble doing shidduchim later on!! Our great grandparents all had cats to deal with their mice so not fair! Can someone please start a movement to make it exceptable in the frum world

exaustedmom

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 2:57 pm
Sparkle1 wrote:
I want a puppy so badly I’ve actually been wanting one since I’m little but it’s not excepted in my community and I don’t want to be viewed as weird and have trouble doing shidduchim later on!! Our great grandparents all had cats to deal with their mice so not fair! Can someone please start a movement to make it exceptable in the frum world

I personally don't have time for one, but if you get one, can I be your friend? I love puppies!!!

greenhelm

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 3:12 pm
Trouble with shiduchim because of a puppy? We as a community have way too much time on our hands if people have the energy to get up at arms about this kind of thing.

Puppies are glorious and exhausting and you only live once- enjoy!

shmosmom

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 3:13 pm
I totally agree with this. I think maybe with time if enough people get it then it becomes more accepted.

newyorkmom

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 3:15 pm
I adore puppies ...more frum ppl do then you think !

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 3:21 pm
I volunteer in an animal shelter

Petra

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 3:24 pm
Sparkle1 wrote:

Sparkle1, why don't you nominate yourself to start the movement. We have had a dog for about 15 yrs now. And we don't have any worries about shidduchim. We just don't live in that kind of community. In fact, if my kids' future beshert came from a family that had a dog, that is a huge plus in my book!

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 3:42 pm
With the level of fear of dogs that I see I doubt you’d get far. People are genuinely terrified of dogs.
My kids are dying for a pet but I’m always telling dh I have enough kids to take care of, I can barely get it together to keep a plant alive even though I love all things nature.
One day maybe I’ll have a farm and hire a caretaker. Farm animals are a lot more accepted in the Frum world anyway. Get a bunny!

little neshamala

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 4:09 pm
Sparkle1 wrote:

Im a typical Right wing monsey woman, and I wouldnt raise 2 eyebrow hairs if I saw you had a puppy. Please go get one and enjoy.

If it makes you feel better, I was talking to a frum repairman recently and he said how he sees everything, because hes in peoples homes all day long...he was commenting that in the past few years more and more monsey families have dogs

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 4:15 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Im a typical Right wing monsey woman, and I wouldnt raise 2 eyebrow hairs if I saw you had a puppy. Please go get one and enjoy.

If it makes you feel better, I was talking to a frum repairman recently and he said how he sees everything, because hes in peoples homes all day long...he was commenting that in the past few years more and more monsey families have dogs

I find that Yidden have been buying "COVID dogs." They got bored stuck at home so they got a dog.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 4:30 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I find that Yidden have been buying "COVID dogs." They got bored stuck at home so they got a dog.

This is true! We were given a kitten a few months back and when DH asked his Rav about the pertinent Halachos the Rav laughed and told him that he's been getting a lot of Shaylas about this lately.

twizzlers1

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 10:17 am
I say get a dog! I really don't understand this
I didn't grow up religious and grew up with a dog and I truly feel that animals are really great for kids. We have a cat right now which is a lot easier and is a really nice pet for my family. Would a cat work since it mostly stays inside? I used to not really care for cats but now that we have one I see that they are little less loyal but can be a really great pet and probably the easiest one there is to take care of. We could even go away for a couple of days and make sure to have enough food and water. Obviously longer than that then somebody would have to come take care of it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 10:31 am
If your community is so hung up about a puppy, I'd consider moving if I were you.

When I made Aliyah, my friend's DH told me "You can't bring your dogs with you to Israel. No one will come to Shabbos at your house, and your DD won't be able to have any friends over."

Well, it turned out that most of my friends here have dogs, are dog lovers, or at least are dog tolerant. DD's friends always loved our dogs. I'm really glad I didn't take his advice and just "dump them" when we moved.

Rescuing a dog from the pound is one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do. Puppies are adorable, but for a first dog I suggest you get an older dog. Not only are they more likely to be euthanized, but they are already calm, gentle, and easy to get along with. There's nothing like the sweetness of an older dog (and besides, they're past the "chew everything in sight" stage!)

Whatever you do, please do not get a puppy from a breeder, unless you plan on getting involved with the show world and expanding the gene pool. I used to be a breeder, and it is tons of work. You have to vet every home so carefully, and eventually I realized that there were way too many purebreds ending up in shelters, because people thought they were "cool", but didn't realize that not all breeds are easy to handle.

Don't get a working dog if you live in an apartment.
Don't get a pug if you are expecting obedience!
Don't get a husky unless you want to be covered in hair 24/7.
Don't get a border collie unless you love jogging, several times a day.

If you have your heart set on a certain breed, please Google your local "pure breed rescue" group, and search by the breed you are interested in.

I could go on and on about dogs, so ask me anything.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 11:23 am
A few years ago there were a lot of break ins in my (Israeli, chareidi) neighbourhood, and suddenly it became a lot more acceptable to have a dog. If I go out for a walk on Shabbos afternoon now, I'll normally see two or three dogs out for walks, whereas it used to be rare.

BadTichelDay

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 11:29 am
We got a puppy a few weeks ago. She's in a difficult (for us) phase now, chewing up everything, having "accidents" in the house and snapping with her sharp little teeth at everyone's ankles. In our community, DL in Israel, dogs are perfectly acceptable. Several neighbors have dogs. Our children's friends are not deterred from coming at all, they just all jump onto the couch and raise their feet out of the puppy's range and shriek with laughter. Can't see any shidduch danger, unless the puppy keeps biting ankles for the next 10 years or so and then bites future shidduchees into their feet (sincerely hope we have her trained by then) LOL
But it probably depends what community the OP lives in.

Siriusly?

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 12:00 pm
Sparkle1 wrote:

I'm with you all the way on this one!

And never mind the wider community and dogs, you should've seen some of the reactions from my and dh's families when we got a bunny!

essie14

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 12:23 pm
Half of our frum neighborhood has a dog, it's completely acceptable. People keep asking us why we don't have one. (I have one child who is deathly afraid, the rest of the kids want to get rid of the sibling so they can have a dog 😂)

Most of my friends in all kinds of communities have dogs.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 1:44 pm
Depends which community, if you are like in an super yeshivish or chassidish community then no... Modern Orthodox, Dati Leumi, Modernish yeshivish/balebatish is ok to have a dog.

Teomima

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 3:13 pm
Look, I get it that it's easy for me to say this since I'm obviously not a member of your community, but if having a dog would deter someone from wanting to marry your children, would you really want that person in your family, anyways? Of all the reasons to make someone second guess a shidduch, how extreme does a person have to be for having a dog be the deal breaker?

Get the puppy. Be happy. Life is short. Enjoy it.

chestnut

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 7:00 pm
Depends where you live.
We're in Flatbush and got a covid dog. Some adults and kids won't even come in because of the dog, some will come only if we're holding him or he's in another room (not practical), and some love him.
If you're in Boro park, it's probably not worth is for you cause the majority will be scared. Lakewood proper, probably as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics