Home

Career change at 35
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:05 pm
Has anyone changed careers in their mid 30s?

I’ve been a bookkeeper since I got married, about 15 years. It’s become so boring and I am burned out. I barely give even the slightest attention to what I’m doing, I just do everything on autopilot these days.

I need a career change, and I’m willing to go to school if necessary. I’m interested in working with computers, doing something with design and creativity. We can go without my income for a while, or I can learn while keeping my current job.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Back to top

momomany




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:08 pm
I went to school in my 40s, earned my BSN and became an RN.
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:35 pm
I did. I became BT in my mid 30's, and my old career was incompatible with a frum lifestyle.

You may want to start with some career testing, to determine areas of aptitude and interest. It's worth the investment!
Back to top

sunspot




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:49 am
Web Design sounds like a perfect fit!
Back to top

amother




Outerspace
 

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone changed careers in their mid 30s?

I’ve been a bookkeeper since I got married, about 15 years. It’s become so boring and I am burned out. I barely give even the slightest attention to what I’m doing, I just do everything on autopilot these days.

I need a career change, and I’m willing to go to school if necessary. I’m interested in working with computers, doing something with design and creativity. We can go without my income for a while, or I can learn while keeping my current job.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?


I was a teacher until my mid-30s. Went back to school and became an RN. Ended up getting a master's and now I'm an NP.

If you can survive without your income while you're in school, great.
What helped me get through it was only thinking one step at a time. I just focused on getting through one semester at a time. Now looking back I have no idea how I did it (gave birth to 3 more babies in the process B"H) but somehow it was done.
Back to top

stillnewlywed




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:52 pm
Go for it! 35 is young, you have many working years ahead of you.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:54 pm
I am 42, and my family relies on my income working in public school.

I am burned out and my job is not boring but its too stressful. its taking a toll on my health.

my goal when im older and my kids are older is to look into another career.
my aunt went back to school when she was 45 and started a new career.

you are an inspiration to me.

im still wondering what I would like/enjoy and what im good at bec im not sure what id want to do for my change of career.

hatzlacha.
Back to top

curlyhead




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 3:50 am
Yes I did after getting burned out from my 17 year-long job! A few years ago I started being a virtual assistant. If you like computers and creativity go for it. You can specialize in web design, social media manager, marketing etc. So many VA Facebook groups that can start you off
Back to top

amother




Bluebell
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:06 am
imasinger wrote:
I did. I became BT in my mid 30's, and my old career was incompatible with a frum lifestyle.

You may want to start with some career testing, to determine areas of aptitude and interest. It's worth the investment!


Just wondering how a career would be incompatible with a frum lifestyle?
Back to top

amother




Snowflake
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:16 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
Just wondering how a career would be incompatible with a frum lifestyle?


Maybe she was a [removed]
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I am 42, and my family relies on my income working in public school.

I am burned out and my job is not boring but its too stressful. its taking a toll on my health.

my goal when im older and my kids are older is to look into another career.
my aunt went back to school when she was 45 and started a new career.

you are an inspiration to me.

im still wondering what I would like/enjoy and what im good at bec im not sure what id want to do for my change of career.

hatzlacha.


You may just enjoy working in a different setting that doesn't have the same stress as public school. I also work in public school and its the setting, not the profession that I am burned out from. But alas, I am stuck because I need the salary and benefits.
Back to top

amother




Moccasin
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:00 am
momomany wrote:
I went to school in my 40s, earned my BSN and became an RN.

That’s beautiful!
I’m in my 40,s too- do you feel you have enough energy for the job?
Back to top

momomany




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
That’s beautiful!
I’m in my 40,s too- do you feel you have enough energy for the job?


yes! I have been working in the hospital for almost 4 years now. I love it! I no longer have little ones at home which makes it easier.
Back to top

amother




Moccasin
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:26 am
momomany wrote:
yes! I have been working in the hospital for almost 4 years now. I love it! I no longer have little ones at home which makes it easier.

Thanks for the input and encouragement!
Back to top

Notsobusy




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 10:20 am
Snowflake that was rude and uncalled for and so I reported it. Imasinger is a real person, just like you.
Back to top

amother




Crimson
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
Just wondering how a career would be incompatible with a frum lifestyle?

Based on her name I would assume she was a singer!! And there's that whole kol isha thing
Back to top

amother




Watermelon
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 12:47 pm
Could you do a Twist on what you do now. Like leverage your skills to start something new.

Like my dh hired someone to setup quick books for him for a business. She set it up. Taught him to use it. Comes every so often to do consulting.

Don’t know if that is what you do now. But it seemed interesting snd she is involved in many diff types of things.
Back to top

amother




Amaranthus
 

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 1:53 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Based on her name I would assume she was a singer!! And there's that whole kol isha thing


Makes sense
Back to top

amother




Maroon
 

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 8:35 am
I don't have anything to add, but I'm in the same position. 35 and in need of a career change. A big hug to you! I've been thinking about speaking with a career counselor but they're pretty expensive..
Back to top

amother




Vanilla
 

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Based on her name I would assume she was a singer!! And there's that whole kol isha thing

I always assumed her last name was Singer. Ima Singer.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Related Topics Replies Last Post
When you so laser on hemangioma do you see change right away
by amother
4 Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:40 pm View last post
Does her bed time change?
by amother
1 Sun, Nov 07 2021, 6:12 pm View last post
Is there a career path you wish you took?
by amother
3 Mon, Oct 25 2021, 5:07 pm View last post
Should I wake up my sleeping kids to change them?? 21 Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:44 am View last post
Change Is Hard for All of Us; For Some It’s Even Harder
by Yael
0 Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:02 am View last post
by Yael