Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career change at 35
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:03 am
I was just thinking about this today!
I'm 50.
So sick of social work.
I don't have the energy for nursing school.
Am actually considering taking a paramedic course.
I figure a couple night/weekend shifts would pretty much equal my salary

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:02 pm
imasinger wrote:
I did. I became BT in my mid 30's, and my old career was incompatible with a frum lifestyle.

You may want to start with some career testing, to determine areas of aptitude and interest. It's worth the investment!

Can you recommend a good place for assessment testing?

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:09 pm
I'm your age and thinking of pursuing a phD, but daunted by the costs!

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:17 pm
I'm not sure what type of job you currently have and if this would work for you. I am 15+ yrs in the same office. at one point I was also burnt out and bored and was thinking to leave and move on...in the end I met with the head of my department and we moved around some positions and my job became for the most part different and more interesting.

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:24 pm
I think it's so interesting how many posters mentioned going to nursing school as a second career. I'm in your age range OP and am burned out too. I've been a nurse for over a decade and I'm not sure what I want to do either.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:31 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
I think it's so interesting how many posters mentioned going to nursing school as a second career. I'm in your age range OP and am burned out too. I've been a nurse for over a decade and I'm not sure what I want to do either.

When I was in nursing school there were many who were there as a second career choice so I'm not that surprised. It's a cheap practical degree with decent earning potential.

Have you considered NP? Or teaching? Clinical leaders get decent pay and the hours good. Changing units? There are alot of options once you are a nurse.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:45 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
I'm your age and thinking of pursuing a phD, but daunted by the costs!

I changed careers at age 37, got a Master's in the new field and now 1/3 way through PhD program. Its not easy (career or college) but I love both!!

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:02 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
I was just thinking about this today!
I'm 50.
So sick of social work.
I don't have the energy for nursing school.
Am actually considering taking a paramedic course.
I figure a couple night/weekend shifts would pretty much equal my salary

I'm 30 and dreaming of going to school to become a social worker/therapist. I don't want to hijack this thread but what are your thoughts? (currently don't have a degree in anything)

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:11 pm
imasinger wrote:

You may want to start with some career testing, to determine areas of aptitude and interest.

Any good suggestions as to where to get the testing?
how costly are these testings?

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:19 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I changed careers at age 37, got a Master's in the new field and now 1/3 way through PhD program. Its not easy (career or college) but I love both!!

How are you funding it?

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:19 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I am 42, and my family relies on my income working in public school.

I am burned out and my job is not boring but its too stressful. its taking a toll on my health.

my goal when im older and my kids are older is to look into another career.
my aunt went back to school when she was 45 and started a new career.

you are an inspiration to me.

im still wondering what I would like/enjoy and what im good at bec im not sure what id want to do for my change of career.

hatzlacha.

I relate to you! Are you an OT like me?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:21 pm
I would not advise anyone to get a PhD. They tend to drag on with little reward and aren’t very practical for getting a good job.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:24 pm
I was a hospital based RN from age 22 to 36. I passed my NP boards that year and changed to a provider role. While I’m still a nurse, my role couldn’t be more different.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I would not advise anyone to get a PhD. They tend to drag on with little reward and aren’t very practical for getting a good job.

A PhD wouldn't really get me a different job in my field. It's more for intellectual interest. Do you think there is a better way to pursue that?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:35 pm
How are you funding it?

Some student loans. Graduated Undergrad with 4.0 and Graduate school, summa come lauda, so I got a good scholarship for doctorate.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:39 pm

A doctorate will help me in my career, but I’m doing it even more for myself. My mother taught us that good, frum girls don’t go to college. Getting a PhD is very fulfilling.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:41 pm
A PhD wouldn't really get me a different job in my field. It's more for intellectual interest. Do you think there is a better way to pursue that?

Intellectual interest is a good reason to pursue a PhD!

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:43 pm

Depends what kind of reward you're thinking of.
There certainly are rewards to both the process of working toward the Ph.D. and certainly once one obtains the Ph.D.
Those rewards may not be of interest to you, yet they are certainly meaningful to those who opt to go for a Ph.D.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:46 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Depends what kind of reward you're thinking of.
There certainly are rewards to both the process of working toward the Ph.D. and certainly once one obtains the Ph.D.
Those rewards may not be of interest to you, yet they are certainly meaningful to those who opt to go for a Ph.D.

Well said!

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:58 pm

Is your advice a way of saying that you would not pursue a Ph.D.?

Your advice reminds me of a friend who for years told me not to get a car. She said it requires a lot of care, upkeep, insurance costs, gas costs, etc.

I finally have a car and I dont understand what her problem was! (ladies don't drive in our neighborhood and a lot of ladies get rides with her, so if any of us ladies gets our own car she's got one less person who needs her, so maybe that was a problem for her?)
We are each such unique human beings, and it's best if we meet people where they're at, rather than project our personal experience onto them.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics