Home

Can any school administrator please explain?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Blushpink
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
They also have midwinter vacation for afew days in February and are off a week for Easter and Springbreak. And public school never starts before labor day.

When I worked in public school we started the week before Labor Day. And no days off in February other than Presidents Day.
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:42 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
Reread my post - it's not babysitting. It's the structure of our kid's daily lives.

Does anyone remember the feeling of coming back to school after sukkos, knowing that we are now into the long haul of winter with no significant break?

Again - reread my post. I don't want to shortchange the kids with even one day. I want to spread them out through the year so the kids get to stretch their legs and breathe outside of summer too.

I hear you.
There is something about a block of time in the summer that is just so special. Kids can really recharge as it’s one large block of time as opposed to some days here and there. There is still a nice amount of vacation throughout the school year between Sukkos/ Pesach and Mid Winter and more.
Back to top

gr82no




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:44 pm
I don’t think the idea of splitting up summer vacation would work in ny/nj. That would mean having more vacation in the winter when ur stuck in your house. What would the kids do have two week camp five times a year. Sounds like a headache
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:47 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
Fifty years ago, the majority of mothers were not working. Nowadays, the majority of parents work. Parents can't take off for these many summer days to create a wonderful, healthy summer for our children. If that is indeed expected of all parents, how can we promote the kollel system? Are we disenfranchising our children by having the mother work? Or should we expect our men to be out of kollel for the many weeks on end to give the children the wonderful, healthy summer?

We can't play it both ways. If the schools teach and promote the kollel lifestyle, they need to understand and expect that the majority of the parent body will be working. They can't teach one way, and then demand the parents do another. Imo, it's totally hypocrisy to teach that the woman should go out to work to allow her husband to sit and learn, and then tell the parents that you need to be there for your children to give them a wonderful healthy summer.

You sound very frustrated and are really throwing a whole lot of parental responsibility on to the “schools”.
If there were so many random off days during the school year that would be a really challenging to many working parents as well.
This is the parent’s responsibility to ensure an healthy and well balanced summer is experienced by their kids regardless of their working schedule.
Back to top

amother




Babypink
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:48 pm
I'm one who loved unstructured summer time. Got a chance to read books that I wanted to read, play with my cousins, never liked camp because it's so special to have time to do whatever you want.. it's a time kids get to be creative and figure out their own interests.
Back to top

amother




Dimgray
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:49 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
I hear you.
There is something about a block of time in the summer that is just so special. Kids can really recharge as it’s one large block of time as opposed to some days here and there. There is still a nice amount of vacation throughout the school year between Sukkos/ Pesach and Mid Winter and more.


The time between Sukkos and Pesach is not the same, because parents have little time to really spend the day with their children. They're too busy with all the prep, that other than chol hamoed , to really give them their time and attention.

I do agree that a large block of time is needed. I guess we differ how large that block of time should be. Six weeks is still a significant block of time.

But that is only one issue of concern. My other - and primary - issue of concern is the lack of consideration for parents. This setting up half days with no bussing is in complete disregard of parent's needs, as well this non synchronization of the days given off. Vacation days are sparingly given in the working world, and consider this year where all YT are weekdays. From where should parents get all these off days for the mess created at this time of the year? At least, if you sync boys and girls vacations, it alleviates some of the days in question.

If the schools work with the assumption that there is always a SAH parent, then how does it play into the kollel system that they promote?
Back to top

amother




Magnolia
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:49 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
Perhaps where you live. But here in NY, that doesn't happen. Public schools finish at the end of June. We never go past the third week of June.


I live in NY. I think that legally, 180 school days are required.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:50 pm
We have a little over 2 months off.

While school is out, it's like a whole restructuring of a business. There's a lot of teacher hiring and policy changing and figuring out student placement and tweaking things that need changing and redoing classrooms and schedules and yes some off time for administrators but not as much as you'd think. This time is very necessary to get the year off to a solid start without the day to day grind of student/teacher/parent discipline/complaints/crises. Days are packed with looking into everything that has been working and everything that has not so that we can start off on a clean slate.
Back to top

Hashem_Yaazor




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:50 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
I live in NY. I think that legally, 180 school days are required.

Many states have changed to educational hours instead of days.
Back to top

amother




Dimgray
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:55 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
You sound be very frustrated and are really throwing a whole lot of parental responsibility on to the “schools”.
If there were so many random off days during the school year that would be a really challenging to many working parents as well.
This is the parent’s responsibility to ensure an healthy and well balanced summer is experienced by their kids regardless of their working schedule.


So then why don't you tell us exactly how it should be done? Should the mother give up her job? Should she not have a large family so she can better deal with this? Should she expect her older children to be the mommy in the house for all these days? Should the father stay home from kollel? You can't just throw out expectations without explaining how it can be done. So shoot - I'm all ears.

This is a prime example of why we have so many stressed out mothers. It's the mothers responsibility to bring in parnossoh so that her husband can learn. It's the mother's responsibility to be able to take off from work to ensure a well balanced summer. It's the mother's responsibility to have large families (or both parent's responsibility). It's the mother responsibility to prepare for a wonderful and spiritual YT all the while juggling her work duties and taking care of the kids during these off days. Etc.

It's come to a point in time where this is just ridiculous. Perhaps its time to go back to promote a household where there is always one SAH parent.
Back to top

amother




Tiffanyblue
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
Assuming our school did.
My girls last day of school was June 10. First day of school August 25. But school offered a day camp option from June 16-August 17 at a very reasonable rate and wholesome good fun. They also incorporated עברי classes in the younger grades program to continue practicing and not fall behind ( I heard that also math/reading but my girls said not their grade).

Boys had no break.

I think this is a happy medium- giving girls a chance to enjoy the summer but no overload in a ton of days off (with most likely no official structure).


This is a happy medium for the girls but how is this a happy medium for the boys?
Back to top

amother




Magnolia
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 8:20 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Many states have changed to educational hours instead of days.


Not NY. Legally, you can't add more hours to school days and count the extra hours as days.
Back to top

amother




Blushpink
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 8:24 pm
It's not only kollel families where the wife/mother needs to work. Plenty of families need 2 full time jobs in order to make ends meet. It's not the 1980s anymore! Lots of inflation and 1 paycheck just doesn't cover it all.
Sometime I think imamother skews very young, and this is one of those times;)
Back to top

amother




Dimgray
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
It's not only kollel families where the wife/mother needs to work. Plenty of families need 2 full time jobs in order to make ends meet. It's not the 1980s anymore! Lots of inflation and 1 paycheck just doesn't cover it all.
Sometime I think imamother skews very young, and this is one of those times;)


That only strengthens my point. If the majority of families need 2 working parents, then why aren't there changes to accommodate this? Why are our systems still operating in a way that only accommodates SAHM, and makes life extremely difficult for the majority of working mothers?
Back to top

amother




Blushpink
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 8:44 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
That only strengthens my point. If the majority of families need 2 working parents, then why aren't there changes to accommodate this? Why are our systems still operating in a way that only accommodates SAHM, and makes life extremely difficult for the majority of working mothers?

I don't have a problem with your argument. I still think kids need a break but 6-8 weeks in summer, tops.
Back to top

LeeR




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 8:49 pm
Or maybe camp should be longer
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:03 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
So then why don't you tell us exactly how it should be done? Should the mother give up her job? Should she not have a large family so she can better deal with this? Should she expect her older children to be the mommy in the house for all these days? Should the father stay home from kollel? You can't just throw out expectations without explaining how it can be done. So shoot - I'm all ears.

This is a prime example of why we have so many stressed out mothers. It's the mothers responsibility to bring in parnossoh so that her husband can learn. It's the mother's responsibility to be able to take off from work to ensure a well balanced summer. It's the mother's responsibility to have large families (or both parent's responsibility). It's the mother responsibility to prepare for a wonderful and spiritual YT all the while juggling her work duties and taking care of the kids during these off days. Etc.

It's come to a point in time where this is just ridiculous. Perhaps its time to go back to promote a household where there is always one SAH parent.

I completely agree with you that there is way too many expectations of us mothers. It’s very stressful and challenging to juggle all ( or most ) of the balls.
In regards to what families do, it’s very individual. In most homes where both parents are working kids go to camp ( and all the in- between camps) There are also families that take a real financial hit by having a parent home during the summer. Every family makes choices that are best for their individual situation.
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:04 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
We have a little over 2 months off.

While school is out, it's like a whole restructuring of a business. There's a lot of teacher hiring and policy changing and figuring out student placement and tweaking things that need changing and redoing classrooms and schedules and yes some off time for administrators but not as much as you'd think. This time is very necessary to get the year off to a solid start without the day to day grind of student/teacher/parent discipline/complaints/crises. Days are packed with looking into everything that has been working and everything that has not so that we can start off on a clean slate.


Where we live, the middle school boys need more going on. Sending to a 4 week sleepaway Camp with no summer yeshiva camp like Lakewood has leaves them with too much down time (6 weeks!). I wish we could change this. We actually tried this year. Every Rebbe we spoke to was too busy to think about it.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
So then why don't you tell us exactly how it should be done? Should the mother give up her job? Should she not have a large family so she can better deal with this? Should she expect her older children to be the mommy in the house for all these days? Should the father stay home from kollel? You can't just throw out expectations without explaining how it can be done. So shoot - I'm all ears.

This is a prime example of why we have so many stressed out mothers. It's the mothers responsibility to bring in parnossoh so that her husband can learn. It's the mother's responsibility to be able to take off from work to ensure a well balanced summer. It's the mother's responsibility to have large families (or both parent's responsibility). It's the mother responsibility to prepare for a wonderful and spiritual YT all the while juggling her work duties and taking care of the kids during these off days. Etc.

It's come to a point in time where this is just ridiculous. Perhaps its time to go back to promote a household where there is always one SAH parent.
Applause absofreakingluteltly. I am a teacher, mother, grandmother and I think it’s time to re-evaluate. What was 50 years ago is no more. Vacation time needs to be changed.
School should be until june 30. Vacation should be from july 1 until august 30. Camps and daycamps should give a full 8 weeks not a lousy 7 weeks and 2 days.
I believe the current scheduling in the us was based on farming and harvesting.
And maybe mothers should clone themselves or break themselves into tiny little mini mothers so that everyone can have a piece of them.
Yes we demand way too much of our women. Ridiculous. What the h e double hockey sticks do we need the men for- if we have to do everything?
Back to top

amother




Ivory
 

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
It's not only kollel families where the wife/mother needs to work. Plenty of families need 2 full time jobs in order to make ends meet. It's not the 1980s anymore! Lots of inflation and 1 paycheck just doesn't cover it all.
Sometime I think imamother skews very young, and this is one of those times;)


but my kids start end aug and sept 2 with half days for a few days and no bussing, kollel or working families with 2 working parents, how do ppl pick up their children at 12:25 or 1:00 and leave work in the middle of the day?

and this happens on fast days as well. the school year and days are not designed for 2 full time working parents whether kollel or not, yet they expect $ for tuition. no, they are not designing school for working parents. so, if you want to question summer break, what about half fast days? I dont get off on fast days, why shld teachers? well, bec many teachers are working hard for little pay and challenging situations. and, teachers have to put in their own time to prepare and grade.

theres no way to set up the school year/days to accomodate everyone. its def. not set up for 2 working parents.(and this is not just a problem for kollel families)
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 9 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What do people do that REALLY can’t afford Jewish school?
by amother
7 Today at 8:55 pm View last post
S/O school thread- att history nerds 273 Today at 8:50 pm View last post
Screen free school days
by amother
29 Today at 8:46 pm View last post
Name something you learned in school..... 47 Today at 4:02 pm View last post
ISO new High School for DD, Brooklyn Area
by amother
9 Yesterday at 8:38 pm View last post