Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Am I going to be overweight forever :( : ( :(
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:06 pm
Crying
I've been fat most of my life. I started a strict low carb, low sugar diet 2 months ago, and I eat within an 8-9 hour window, the last meal is about 4-5 hours from when I go to sleep. I exercise every day. I need to lose 50 pounds. I lost 6 pounds the first three weeks eating 1000 calories a day, low carb, and tried not to eat to eat too much fat. The next month, I gained 2 pounds one week, then lost one of those pounds the next week, then stayed the same for weeks. I am eating so much less than I usually do. Shabbos I have a little more calories about 1300 and I have challah. I had my thyroid checked and it came back normal. My doctor is at a loss to explain it; I think they don't believe me when I say I eat so little, but I track everything I eat and I weigh and measure foods. It is so frustrating to do something over and over and over when it's not easy even though I know it's healthy, and not see results. I cried the last time I saw the scale, I'm so emotional about this because it doesn't make sense. This is the strictest I've ever been and I can't lose. I sleep enough. I am under stress but that's life. Even if you have pcos shouldn't a low carb, low sugar diet help with that? Can anyone relate? More importantly can anyone give me practical advice on how to lose weight or should I check something other than thyroid? If you have pcos and have lost a significant amount of weight, what did you eat?
Crying

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Crying
I've been fat most of my life. I started a strict low carb, low sugar diet 2 months ago, and I eat within an 8-9 hour window, the last meal is about 4-5 hours from when I go to sleep. I need to lose 50 pounds. I lost 6 pounds the first three weeks eating 1000 calories a day, low carb, and tried not to eat to eat too much fat. The next month, I gained 2 pounds one week, then lost one of those pounds the next week, then stayed the same for weeks. I am eating so much less than I usually do. Shabbos I have a little more calories about 1300 and I have challah. I had my thyroid checked and it came back normal. My doctor is at a loss to explain it; I think they don't believe me when I say I eat so little, but I track everything I eat and I weigh and measure foods. It is so frustrating to do something over and over and over when it's not easy even though I know it's healthy, and not see results. I cried the last time I saw the scale, I'm so emotional about this because it doesn't make sense. This is the strictest I've ever been and I can't lose. I sleep enough. I am under stress but that's life. Even if you have pcos shouldn't a low carb, low sugar diet help with that? Can anyone relate? More importantly can anyone give me practical advice on how to lose weight or should I check something other than thyroid? If you have pcos and have lost a significant amount of weight, what did you eat?
Crying

You did not do it right. I just lost 70 lbs on high protein, low carb, HIGH healthy fats! First diet that worked for me and killed all the appetite and cravings which are directly caused by sugar and carbs which turn to sugar. If you’re committed to doing it, I guarantee you’ll be thrilled with the results. I don’t recognize myself, went down 4 sizes. And I have a thyroid condition. If you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and will hold onto the weight. You have to do it right.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:14 pm
You might try looking up the work of Gin Stephens. (She has books, or if you like podcasts, she has x2 "Intermittent fasting stories, & the intermittent fasting podcast") She has a website. IF has been a game changer for me.
Also Dr. Jason Fung might interest you, his books or he has a lot of YouTube videos.

Hang in there, & if it makes sense to you, pray for guidance

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:15 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
You did not do it right. I just lost 70 lbs on high protein, low carb, HIGH healthy fats! First diet that worked for me and killed all the appetite and cravings which are directly caused by sugar and carbs which turn to sugar. If you’re committed to doing it, I guarantee you’ll be thrilled with the results. I don’t recognize myself, went down 4 sizes. And I have a thyroid condition. If you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and will hold onto the weight. You have to do it right.
What did you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:18 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
You might try looking up the work of Gin Stephens. (She has books, or if you like podcasts, she has x2 "Intermittent fasting stories, & the intermittent fasting podcast") She has a website. IF has been a game changer for me.
Also Dr. Jason Fung might interest you, his books or he has a lot of YouTube videos.

Hang in there, & if it makes sense to you, pray for guidance
Can you summarize please?

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:19 pm
You need to drink more, like a lot more
To help lose weight you need to drink half to full body weight in oz every day
Meaning if you are 100lbs drink 50-100oz of water Every day
If you are 150lbs, drink 75-150 oz of water every day
Get one of those huge motivational water bottles
Pray
And be patient

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:26 pm
Also, exercise and healthy fats really help me

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:28 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Also, exercise and healthy fats really help me
I forgot to put this in, but I exercise every day. How much fat and what types did you eat every day?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you summarize please?

Hard to do "on one foot", but there's growing interest in "Intermittent fasting".
(Everyone's is unique, but) many of us who have struggled with overeating, cravings, excess weight, may have more or less insulin resistance issues.

This is an oversimplification, but when someone who has some insulin resistance goes for longer periods of time without eating anything which spikes insulin (and this therefore excludes water, plain seltzer, green tea, unflavored/unsweetened coffee, because they don't spike insulin) over time, insulin sensitivity can be restored.

I now believe that the traditional advice to eat 3 meals & snack in between is not necessarily good for everyone, because it's keeping insulin levels high.

By Fasting for 12-18 hours, or on occasion longer, this has ironically helped me be less hungry. It is not starving oneself, but rather one's eating takes place within an "eating window. The other poster has a point; dieters who eat way too little, are at risk of slowing down their metabolism. The body thinks it is starving, & holds onto weight & slows down it's metabolism to help try to survive.

IFers can eat a lot, but it's during an eating shorter period of time. While fasting, the body learns to fuel off one's own fat stores; the cycling of this, plus eating generously during ones eating window, protects against a slowing down of the metabolism.

I used to go through much of the time hungry. Shabbos was very difficult, often feeling unsatisfied. I could keep eating so much, & not be satisfied. It's been a slow journey, but by doing IF, my appetite has been continuing to be more balanced out & normal.

If any of this resonates with you at all, Fast Feast Repeat is a good book by GS (referenced above).
And while I haven't actually read it, because I hear it's a bit heavy on the science, so I've stuck with his YouTube videos, but Dr. Jason Fung's book the Obesity Code is supposed to be very good. He is a real MD, a nephrologist, & works a lot with an obese population, he has helped many people come off of Diabetes medications (under his medical care, since once someone is actually diabetic, fasting can be dangerous regarding insulin levels).

If it resonates for anyone, I highly recommend the podcast,videos or books. There are many nuances & tips that have really helped me over the long haul. Getting started also can take time, it can take the body some adjusting to get used to becoming "fat adapted", fueling on one's own fat stores, as a healthy body that isn't insulin resistance does. It isn't an overnight thing. But I'm grateful for it, & I feel much better, I have much more energy.

Embarrassed at writing so much, but maybe it will help someone.
Everyone's body is unique. Good luck finding what works for you!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I forgot to put this in, but I exercise every day. How much fat and what types did you eat every day?

I try to eat salmon several times a week, eggs, a bit of avocado occasionally, I cook with small amounts of olive oil.

When you say exercise, are you getting your heart rate up? For how long? Are you pushing yourself every week? I also gave up most fake sugar drinks and mostly focus on water.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:54 pm
Try weight loss medication, in addition to the healthy steps you’ve already taken. I’ve lost 50 pounds so far on Ozempic.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:15 am
I feel u!! Good luck! It’s so hard because it’s not ur fault that ur overweight and sometimes there’s nothing u can do! I’ve been on every single diet that’s ever come out since I was in 5th grade and I never lost weight! No matter how hard I tried! It was so depressing I ate all the right healthy foods stayed away from cake etc…and I didn’t lose a lb! Abt 7 weeks ago I did the sleeve and I’m bh down 30lb! I would’ve never thought it was possible for my scale to go down!

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:30 am
if you are more insulin resistant and many pcos women are, then you may need to fast for longer periods to see results, but its also not so simple because one thing I learned is that one of the drs who advocated intermittent fasting said that a woman was eating healthy/exercising and intermittent fasting for 9 mnths and she thought she was losing nothing. but the dr said she was losing fat from her liver bec first the internal organs which have fat on it will shed the fat so some of us may not see results on the "outside" right away bec first our body is getting rid of the dangerous fat on our internal organs.

this may be the case with you, but I can tell you as a pcos woman who also didnt see "outside results", I def. know there was a difference bec when I went off bc, my periods returned normal, what did I do? I fasted 48 hrs. and I was able to do that bec I was working remote....this also helped me to see results on the "outside" too but it takes a long time, and I eat healthy and dont eat a lot, so I know how frustrated you are....

also, you said you are stressed and stress plays a big role bec it causes cortisol to rise which spikes insulin which tells the body to store fat...when I was able to get my stress levels down, I also saw an improvement bec even eating healthy/fasting and exercising alone didnt help.....

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:41 am
I was also going to suggest IF - Jason Fung, and eating more fats, low carb.

You sound like you are starving yourself. IF is the opposite of starving - it is letting your body have access to the stored fat tissue.

I usually eat 1-2 meals per day, in a short window (2 meals from 11-4 or 1 meal sometime between 2-4). I eat early. Night eating is very, very bad.

My meals have a substantial amount of fat, and usually at least two kinds. I eat till satiated.

My favorite fats are olive oil, avocado oil, avocadoes, techina, and dressings made from avocado oil mayonnaise.

I have made tons of dressing recipes from Peas Love & Carrots using healthy fats and they are so delicious. Even if I have one meal a day, I am super satisfied because the meal was so, so good!

The sad truth is that most dieters fail. You need to adopt a lifestyle that you can maintain throughout your life IY"H.

Starving yourself is not maintainable. You just can't do it forever. Not only will you lower your BMR, you will feel deprived, rebound eat, and gain the weight back.

You need to lose it in a way that you can continue to stick to even after the weight is lost. IF is good, low-carb and HIGH fat is good, etc.

HATZLACHA RABBAH!!!

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:43 am
Hugs, OP!
As someone suggested above, ask your doctor about Ozempic. I was part of a few FB groups of people who had great success with it. I tried it but had to stop due to the side effects.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:49 am
I don’t think Ozempoic is meant to be used as a weighloss medication

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:51 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
You need to drink more, like a lot more
To help lose weight you need to drink half to full body weight in oz every day
Meaning if you are 100lbs drink 50-100oz of water Every day
If you are 150lbs, drink 75-150 oz of water every day
Get one of those huge motivational water bottles
Pray
And be patient
I drink at least that if not more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:53 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Hard to do "on one foot", but there's growing interest in "Intermittent fasting".
(Everyone's is unique, but) many of us who have struggled with overeating, cravings, excess weight, may have more or less insulin resistance issues.

This is an oversimplification, but when someone who has some insulin resistance goes for longer periods of time without eating anything which spikes insulin (and this therefore excludes water, plain seltzer, green tea, unflavored/unsweetened coffee, because they don't spike insulin) over time, insulin sensitivity can be restored.

I now believe that the traditional advice to eat 3 meals & snack in between is not necessarily good for everyone, because it's keeping insulin levels high.

By Fasting for 12-18 hours, or on occasion longer, this has ironically helped me be less hungry. It is not starving oneself, but rather one's eating takes place within an "eating window. The other poster has a point; dieters who eat way too little, are at risk of slowing down their metabolism. The body thinks it is starving, & holds onto weight & slows down it's metabolism to help try to survive.

IFers can eat a lot, but it's during an eating shorter period of time. While fasting, the body learns to fuel off one's own fat stores; the cycling of this, plus eating generously during ones eating window, protects against a slowing down of the metabolism.

I used to go through much of the time hungry. Shabbos was very difficult, often feeling unsatisfied. I could keep eating so much, & not be satisfied. It's been a slow journey, but by doing IF, my appetite has been continuing to be more balanced out & normal.

If any of this resonates with you at all, Fast Feast Repeat is a good book by GS (referenced above).
And while I haven't actually read it, because I hear it's a bit heavy on the science, so I've stuck with his YouTube videos, but Dr. Jason Fung's book the Obesity Code is supposed to be very good. He is a real MD, a nephrologist, & works a lot with an obese population, he has helped many people come off of Diabetes medications (under his medical care, since once someone is actually diabetic, fasting can be dangerous regarding insulin levels).

If it resonates for anyone, I highly recommend the podcast,videos or books. There are many nuances & tips that have really helped me over the long haul. Getting started also can take time, it can take the body some adjusting to get used to becoming "fat adapted", fueling on one's own fat stores, as a healthy body that isn't insulin resistance does. It isn't an overnight thing. But I'm grateful for it, & I feel much better, I have much more energy.

Embarrassed at writing so much, but maybe it will help someone.
Everyone's body is unique. Good luck finding what works for you!
Thanks for sumamrizing, most days I eat within an 8-9 hour window.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:55 am
Fabulous wrote:
I try to eat salmon several times a week, eggs, a bit of avocado occasionally, I cook with small amounts of olive oil.

When you say exercise, are you getting your heart rate up? For how long? Are you pushing yourself every week? I also gave up most fake sugar drinks and mostly focus on water.
I don't drink diet soda if that's what you're asking. I only drink water. I don't do intense exercise and I don't check my heart rate. What should I get my heart rate up to and for how long?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:55 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Try weight loss medication, in addition to the healthy steps you’ve already taken. I’ve lost 50 pounds so far on Ozempic.
Thanks, but I prefer not to take medications.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise