Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Spin-off do your kids know your vac status?
1  2  3  Next

Do your kids know if you are vaccinated?
Yes  
 79%  [ 89 ]
No  
 20%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:01 pm
I’m the OP from another thread abd am shocked that the feedback is kids shouldn’t know if you or dh had the vaccine.
We are a close family with everyone home for the summer.
Do your kids under 12 know?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:04 pm
Other.

The older ones do and the younger ones have no idea what it means. They know about shots because they get them regularly, but they have no idea why people getting a particular shot can do things differently.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:06 pm
My kids are under 12 and it's not even a discussion in our house. It's not age appropriate information for them.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:08 pm
Not everyone discusses Covid and vaccines as much as it appears on Imamother.
My kids don’t usually know if I get a vaccine or had an eye doctor appointment or saw my GP, not because it is a chinuch decision but because it doesn’t always come up.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:10 pm
They know. We are open with our kids about most run-of-the-mill medical matters. A few things are private, like BC, but most aren't.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:21 pm
OP, maybe change the poll to if your young kids know. It's different if the kids are young or older. I think most older kids do know.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:23 pm
It’s not private. Just not something we really care to talk about. Doesn’t come up

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:39 pm
We are not a corona obsessed household. It's been a hard enough time period we only discuss things that are relevant to them.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 9:54 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
My kids are under 12 and it's not even a discussion in our house. It's not age appropriate information for them.

We don’t discuss it either and we are a very close family.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 10:05 pm
Yes of course.
Corona is a major discussion, as are vaccines etc. We discuss current issues a lot. Vaxing is not considered something private, like bc.

We live in Israel. I don't know a single person that keeps this private. In fact, it would be pretty much impossible to - you need to show vax status to attend a concert, eat at a restaurant, see a movie.

Our kids are teens and up. If we had under 12, they would hear about it though, at the dinner table etc.

Now we are getting our third (booster shots). They saw dh go thru the side effects, be sick for 2 days, etc.
No secrets here and I honestly don't see what the secret is.

creditcards

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 11:30 pm
It's not a secret. They don't know what it is. In the community where I live most of us believe that the vaccine is dangerous and covid is not dangerous at all. We don't vaccinate and we don't mask. It's all nonsense. We know that there are treatments for covid. In the beginning covid was serious because we didn't know how to deal with it. But now we BH do. We are davening for all of klal Yisroel to be healthy and strong.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 11:37 pm
We live in Israel and my oldest is 4. They don't know. If they were older like 10, they'd provably know, but I see no good reason for discussing such things with a 4 year old.

Teomima

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
Yes of course.
Corona is a major discussion, as are vaccines etc. We discuss current issues a lot. Vaxing is not considered something private, like bc.

We live in Israel. I don't know a single person that keeps this private. In fact, it would be pretty much impossible to - you need to show vax status to attend a concert, eat at a restaurant, see a movie.

Our kids are teens and up. If we had under 12, they would hear about it though, at the dinner table etc.

Now we are getting our third (booster shots). They saw dh go thru the side effects, be sick for 2 days, etc.
No secrets here and I honestly don't see what the secret is.

This exactly. In my (highly vaxxed) community people are open and proud of their vaccination status. It allows (well, allowed, before delta) us to live a relatively normal life. My children celebrated any time any of our family members received another shot and my 12+ kids were relieved when they could finally receive theirs.

Our family all goes together to receive our annual flu shots. We are open and honest about how we do our best to protect our health and that of those around us. It is pikuach nefesh to us. This vaccine is no different.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 11:42 pm
Recently I've seen quite a few families coming en masse to get the vaccine or booster doses. Obviously the really little children don't really understand, but the older ones, say from seven upwards all know about it, even if they are not old enough to be vaccinated themselves.

Children nowadays are growing up with Corona. There is no reason to keep hidden from them one of our most effective ways of preventing it.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:40 am
LOL of course they know. One of our kids was trying to figure out how to help the scientists MAKE a coronavirus vaccine and the 5-11s are waiting for the FDA to approve their own doses.

They're not stupid, they understand that the vaccine is pretty new, but they also understand that it's either vaccine or corona, and they KNOW they don't want corona.

I'll be mean, our eldest doesn't understand why people reading stuff on the internet think they understand more than epidemiologists, immunologists, and the doctors on the front lines.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:56 am
Kids should not be privy to their parents’ machlokes

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:37 am
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
Kids should not be privy to their parents’ machlokes

This is true but not really connected to the vaccine itself.

Kids can know that one parent chose to vaccinate and the other chose not to, without knowing about any arguments.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:14 am
true yet something is going on if the kids under 12 are worried and upset about a parents' vaccine status/choice -- we would tell them everything is ok and the decision is between the parent/adult and their dr who know their personal situation best.

Like any other disagreement keep it private between the parents and do not triangulate or otherwise involve the kids.

Kids thrive when parents show each other mutual respect and appropriate boundaries.

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:24 am
Well we live in Israel where you can't get into a lot of places if you haven't been vaccinated. So it's pretty clear that we have and that they have. Otherwise we would not even be able to go sit in a restaurant. But even if that wasn't the case I can't imagine why I would hide something like that from them. Sounds strange to me.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:41 am
I voted yes. But was referring to my older kids. It came up in many conversations, so they know we didn't do the vax. I don't know if my 2 kids that are 12 and under are aware, but it's probably off their radar.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics