Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Spin-off do your kids know your vac status?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do your kids know if you are vaccinated?
Yes  
 79%  [ 89 ]
No  
 20%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 6:55 am
Of course.

My teens are vaccinated (they were desperate to be, and begged to go the day it got approved for them).

My first grader knows that she isn't.

It comes up because the grandparents are in a different country and they haven't seen them in 18 months. Vaccination status is relevant to their lives.

But we are also a family that discusses current events at dinner, reads articles together, talk about history and learn how statistics and data work.

Of course covid (both from a medical point of view and its societal impact) is a major point of discussion.

Aylat

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:21 am
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
My kids are under 12 and it's not even a discussion in our house. It's not age appropriate information for them.

Why?

Do you explain other routine medical topics to them - regular vaccines, antibiotics, strep tests?

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:26 am
Yes they know. My older kids ARE vaccinated, so they obviously know how I feel about it. My 6-11 contingent also know how I feel about it and will be vaccinated as soon as the shot is available. If I have to send them to schools where no one masks or care if they come to school sick, I have to protect them as much as I can.

Last edited by OBnursemom on Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:26 am
The vaccine has been a game changer in tgis era and yes all my kids are aware since we were eagerly waiting for vaccine availability. I'm a health care worker and got vaccinated in December. My kids eased up on the level of precautions once I was vaccinated (husband had covid earlier) and even more so once they were vaccinated in June. They didn't have to worry about bringing covid home to higher risk family members (husband got vaxxed as well). For those whose kids, don't know - I just don't understand where/how you have been living for the past year and a half?!?! Every media (secular and frum) that I have seen talks about vaccines! OP I am with you in surprise.

ora_43

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:38 am
Yes. I never saw it as something to hide, so when I had to leave the house for an hour to get the vaccine, I just explained my absence by saying I was going to get vaccinated.

They were also very aware of the vaccine in general because we had some relatives who were higher-risk and who were able to visit more freely after getting vaccinated.

Depends on age, of course - my 11-year-old picked up on everything, more or less, kids 8+ years old picked up on most of it, younger... TBH I'm not so sure what they understand.

Teomima

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:42 am
I'm confused why anyone who believes in the vaccine* would feel like it is something to hide from young children/that it is somehow inappropriate to discuss. Our kids have seen and experienced the devastation the pandemic has wrought on our lives. Here's something that offers hope, why not share that with them? Why not proudly tell them yes, covid is scary, but doctors and scientists are working very hard to create a treatment that can hopefully keep us safe!? After all the uncertainties of the last year and a half, why not share hope and optimism?

*I know those who don't get the covid vaccine may feel differently, this is why I'm directing my comments towards those that do vax.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:56 am
Aylat wrote:
Why?

Do you explain other routine medical topics to them - regular vaccines, antibiotics, strep tests?

Of course, why not? How is this even compared to the covid vax? It's not relevant to them. They know things that are relevant to them. How is a parents medical decision relevant to young kids? Especially those that don't understand anything about the vaccine? The entire topic of the covid vax isn't relevant to them so it's not discussed. It's barely a discussion even between DH and me.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:02 am
We certainly speak openly about vaccination and Covid issues, but my child is only two, so I don’t think he’s really picked up on it. He does know about giving people space and wearing masks.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:27 am
I don't have kids under 12 but if I did they would know. What's the secret? Of course I'm vaxed so I have nothing to hide.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I don't have kids under 12 but if I did they would know. What's the secret? Of course I'm vaxed so I have nothing to hide.

It's not about hiding it from them. We're not hiding it. It's just not relevant to them and it's not really a discussion in the house.

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:34 am
Ok, so We would take a drug injection faster than any vaccine injection... We feel that is safer. Kids don't know about drugs either. It's something that doesn't apply to them... It's not a discussion because we all have the same opinion about it. Things become discussions when there are different opinions in the house?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:39 am
I have no idea if they know and I couldn’t care less either way. This is not a big issue in my life. My husband is vaccinated and I am not. I don’t think I will get the vaccine as I have natural immunity being that I had Covid. Not giving it to my eligible kids either as they both also had Covid .

cnc

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:43 am
Or course they know.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:50 am
Yes my 6.5 year old knows that dh and I are vaccinated, but not because we made a big deal out of it or because we speak about it much

More like my dh came home early from work one day so I was like "oh now that you're home I'll run to the pharmacy around the corner to get my vaccine" and my son knew where I was going

I just hope he doesn't tell my MIL because she believes all the infertility nonsense and will have massive anxiety that I'm not going to have more children

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:56 am
I have no idea. It's not even a discussion in our house.

Aylat

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
Of course, why not? How is this even compared to the covid vax? It's not relevant to them. They know things that are relevant to them. How is a parents medical decision relevant to young kids? Especially those that don't understand anything about the vaccine? The entire topic of the covid vax isn't relevant to them so it's not discussed. It's barely a discussion even between DH and me.

Hasn't covid affected their lives in the last year and a half? Distance learning, masks, social distancing, limiting contact with vulnerable relatives, r"l anyone they know being ill? The vaccine has changed many protocols - eg can now visit Grandma or whatever, wouldn't they know about that?

Or are you talking about very young children who aren't aware of these things? From the age of about 5 my kids had a basic understanding of vaccines: "The doctor puts a kind of medicine inside you that will beH stop you getting ill. It will hurt for a second and some people feel a bit unwell after, but it's worth it because it can stop you getting badly ill." If your kids are too young for that then it's not really relevant to OP's question.

creditcards

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:40 pm
Aylat wrote:
Hasn't covid affected their lives in the last year and a half? Distance learning, masks, social distancing, limiting contact with vulnerable relatives, r"l anyone they know being ill? The vaccine has changed many protocols - eg can now visit Grandma or whatever, wouldn't they know about that?

Or are you talking about very young children who aren't aware of these things? From the age of about 5 my kids had a basic understanding of vaccines: "The doctor puts a kind of medicine inside you that will beH stop you getting ill. It will hurt for a second and some people feel a bit unwell after, but it's worth it because it can stop you getting badly ill." If your kids are too young for that then it's not really relevant to OP's question.

We don't live in same town as grandparents and both Grandparents had it. They were playing with their friends as soon as we all realized it's not so deathly as everyone made it sound. They weren't so impacted. They had off from school which they enjoyed. They played with their friends all day without masks. Study's say that kids are not at high risk and don't transmit it to others. Most of us also got it very early on and were over with it. Looks like some communities made a bigger deal out of it than others. Kids enjoyed the food packages. We won't lie to them and tell them that the vaccine will prevent them from getting sick, that's completely false. We see peoples immune system getting completely busted after getting the vaccine and then they can't fight a simple cold. Studies say that even if someone doesn't get sick because they had the vaccine it doesn't prevent them from transferring it to others they are just asymptomatic.
There is so much unknown info related to the vaccine. We are ok waiting 2 years to see what affects it has on those who decided to be experimented on. Everyone I know already had covid. We all caught it the Purim before all restrictions started. By the time all restrictions came out we were all dealing with it already.....

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:49 pm
Aylat wrote:

Of course covid has affected their lives. But now we're back to normal and the covid vaccine and any discussion around it is irrelevant to them. Their grandparents did not get the vaccine and we saw them throughout covid. Their great grandparents did get the vaccine but the kids don't see them that often. Of course my kids know what vaccines are, but the covid vaccine is just irrelevant and not a discussion here. My kids are not very young, I have pre teens. It's just not a topic we discuss. We don't find reason to discuss it. They know that there's a covid vaccine just like they know about any other vaccine. I don't see reason to discuss the controversy around the vaccine with or around them. Covid in general is not a discussion here anymore. We're past that.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:49 pm
No secret around here!

I'm happily vaccinated. As a school employee, was part of a school clinic, and tons of our staff were there. Came home and told my kids who I shmoozed with after for the15 minute wait Tongue Out and the vaccine tines were when my kids were home and impacted their schedule.

Dh is vaccinated too.
He is very vocally anti antivax(with his chevra. He won't bash or argue with antivaxers to their face) and my kids hear it.

They also know if some kids and adults in the neighborhood who were part of pfizer trials.

My neighbors are very open with me whether they are vaxed or not.
Most of our relatives are, some aren't.
It's all good.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:10 pm
My kids knew at the time because we told them we were going to get one. We don’t have any major COVID discussions or debates in our house so it wasn’t a big deal just a matter of fact announcement same as I would say I’m going to the grocery store.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics