Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
What to put into finished basement to make guests love it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:55 am
What to put into finished basement to make guests (mainly adults) love it?

What can I put into my basement, that wont be a crazy expense, that will make people enjoy staying there?

Im asking about furniture, appliances, decorative touches.. anything affordable.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:57 am
Mini fridge with drinks

hodeez

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:58 am
Fridge, coffee maker, lots of comfy blankets, board games, snacks, books

SuperWify

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:59 am
Mini kitchenette stocked with coffee and snacks
Closet with hangers, extra blankets and pillows
Full length mirror
Stocked bathroom (shampoo, toothbrushes, fresh towels, tissues, pads, bedika cloths ect)
Sheitel head
Pack n play
Toddler bed
Comfortable linen and big beds- most important

applebutter

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:00 pm
What’s really convenient for guest (but even more for me) is that are basement came with a mini fridge. (Imagine one that they put in hotel rooms) and I can just leave water bottles in it …. I also leave a hot water urn with some hot cups so they can make coffee in the morning while they’re in pjs and not have to get upstairs all dressed for that first drink. (You can tell them to bring the milk of their choice to store in that fridge if you get it) it’s not super expensive bc they make super mini ones for even just 5 drinks. So you can really find one in you budget. Also I don’t have built in closets so I bought a hanging rack and some bins for they’re stuff…. Heater /cooler if it’s not connected to the houses ac unit. Buy all white towels /bedding if you can it’s easier to sanatize after every guest (BLEACH:) think about hotels, how many give out colored towels/sheets? Zero lol

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:01 pm
Is there anything unusual that I can do in a basement, like new things that werent around years ago, but that can be enjoyed on Shabbos as well?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:06 pm
I would not leave too much food except for fruit and not messy snacks like candies.. You don't want to attract ants and roaches.

If you have a space you can add a pool table or ping pong table.

North Star

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:06 pm
Most important, I think, is a clock, a Shabbos lamp, and mirror (full length best.) If you can get a mirror that you see the back of your head, even better.

Big comfy beds are great, and as others said, fridge and coffee station with a small table and chairs. Recliner or glider is great if guests come with a baby.

Water and cups and maybe some chocolates or nuts.

Extra towels. Fully stocked bathroom. Make sure the bathroom has hand soap and a trash can.

applebutter

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:07 pm
Oh that’s smart . Shabbat alarm clock, the kosher lamp so they can adjust before going to sleep. If it’s safe I set candles down there too … big supply of Jewish brand shabbos tissues (not kleenex… those clog up toilets especially basement ) if you really want to be fancy order those slippers and shower caps the Mikva gives I’m sure you can order cheap in bulk from Ali express. I sometimes put big zip up hoodies on the rack and tell them if gets cold at night and they can use. (Like when hotel give bath robe…)

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:10 pm
Full spectrum LED daylight bulbs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....8a8f0

No matter how much of your basement is above ground, it will still be darker than a regular apartment. The right lighting makes all the difference in the world.

I use this one in the kitchen on Shabbos, because I can dim it down to almost off, or turn it way up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....50ad1

applebutter

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:16 pm
I never leave food bc we live in wooded areas and mice are common. So I always warn everyone that food can never go down there… but maybe your house is different. I’m not too worried about coffee. (I leave individually wrapped sugar/Splenda instead of a big thing of sugar ) also extra blankets , plain white comforter from Amazon are super cheap , the material is cotton so it’s soft on the outside.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:20 pm
Separate entrance

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:28 pm
Comfy pillows and blanket. Doesn't have to be expensive.. but not old ones that were used for 20
years already... please!!

applebutter

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:36 pm
If kids are coming you can have one big box of blocks or magnatiles… backgammon or some other thing for adults … kosher magazines. This can all fit on one shelf it doesn’t have to be too much or too overwhelming. Can be done minimally .. oh hangers , skirt/pants hangers. Plastic bags in a drawer for dirty diapers if needed. This is super obvious but a netila cup. Smile

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:38 pm
I was just at someone’s house for shabbos and I’ll tell you what was missing.

Digital clocks to be able to see in the dark

Chairs in the room to be able to sit and put things down

One mattress was good and one was terrible so check the mattresses from time to time

Blankets weren’t fluffy and had a smell

Linen was old

Shabbos lamp!! Please!

Snacks/drinks

Full length mirror

Towels - not just one hand towel in the bathroom

Shaitel head!

Hangers in closet

Locks on the bedroom doors!

Good air conditioning

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:39 pm
Make sure the Shabbat lamp is near the bed, so they don't have to stumble to bed in an unfamiliar place, in the dark.

A chair to sit in and read if they can't fall asleep right away.

Some cheap toiletries. Sure, everyone should bring. But a few advil/tylenol, some bandages, a couple of pads or tampons, a dollar store toothbrush/toothpaste, floss make it less embarrassing if you forget.

A map of the area. If the local shul has a newsletter, a printout would be nice as it gives davening times.

ETA if you have a couple of books you've enjoyed, but don't want to keep, you can put them in a guest room with a note saying that can feel free to take it home if they want.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
I was just at someone’s house for shabbos and I’ll tell you what was missing.

Digital clocks to be able to see in the dark

Chairs in the room to be able to sit and put things down

One mattress was good and one was terrible so check the mattresses from time to time

Blankets weren’t fluffy and had a smell

Linen was old

Shabbos lamp!! Please!

Snacks/drinks

Full length mirror

Towels - not just one hand towel in the bathroom

Shaitel head!

Hangers in closet

Locks on the bedroom doors!

Good air conditioning

Oyy! That sounds terrible. I hope you never have to go to them again.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:44 pm
I’m sorry, there is a complete difference between someone asking for ideas of what might make a room more comfortable for their future guests and what their guests might enjoy and guests complaining about how inadequate their accommodations were.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:44 pm
windows if its in your budget

I live in a basement and were moving bc its so terrible

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:46 pm
What a lovely idea for a thread ! So many great suggestions . If this was said already sorry - a place to put suitcase so it’s convenient to take out items - if no dresser you can get the folding kind like they have in hotel rooms
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics