Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Defrosting my freezer

tryinghard

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 9:21 pm
I have a very large standing freezer that is getting completely overrun with ice. It needs defrosting ASAP. I just can't figure out how!

My freezer is full. It's hot out, which will help with defrosting quickly, but what do I do about the food? In the past we gathered coolers, borrowed a couple, moved all the stuff into coolers, defrosted the freezer and refilled it. But I can't help wondering if there's a better solution out there.

Any genius ideas? (Or super simple, super obvious, can't-believe-I-never-heard-that ideas!)

Frumme

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 9:37 pm
I'd still put everything in coolers (at least those large cooler bags), but use a hair dryer to melt the ice faster. Then wipe down, clean, and refill

sheindellaya

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 9:38 pm
I do it often. I Fill up my sinks and laundry basket with the food. Usually when all the frozen is kept together it stays frozen while freezer defrosts. As soon as its defrosted I clean and reload.

nicole81

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 9:46 pm
Have a cooking marathon? My whole freezer defrosted on it's own this week and it's been what I'm doing:(

Also go through your regular freezer, take anything out that you can, and make as much space as possible. You can try chipping away at the ice, too, for 5 minutes every hour, until it's gone.

If you happen to be in Brooklyn, I have a 100 quart cooler that keeps the food cold for up to 5 days; happy to lend it out.

abs

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 11:12 pm
Once emptied, put a fan in front of the opened freezer door. All the ice will melt quickly (maybe an hour?) Have lots of towels ready to clean up all the puddles.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 11:39 pm
My mom used to use a blow dryer. It would be one of the boys jobs. I think it's their best memories growing up Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics