Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Homophone
Previous  1  2

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 10:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This girl is also partially deaf, and I'm hard of hearing, which makes it even more fun.

She was asking me to draw pictures for her, so she could color them in. She asked me for a cat, so I drew a cat. Then she asked me for a dog, and I drew a dog. "No, not a dog, a DOG!" I was quite confused. She made a wiggling motion with her hand, like swimming in the water. "Oh, I understand, you want a DAG!" and I drew her a fish (Hebrew). I never know in advance when she is going to switch languages on me.

Another one was when something fell on the floor. I mentioned it, and she looked at the flowers in a vase on the table. I made the ASL sign for flower, and she said "Hand?" I told her "flor" was Spanish for flower, and "floor" was English for what you stand on in a house.

I told her that lots of languages have words that sound the same, but mean different things. It's very confusing, and it's OK if you get things mixed up. Sometimes it can be hard to learn, and sometimes it can be very silly, too!

I don't actually sit and purposely "teach her English". She doesn't see me as a teacher at all. I'm someone who comes and plays with her while her mom has other stuff to do. Kind of a mother's helper/nanny. Just by narrating play and having conversations, she picks it up very organically. I make sure that she never feels embarrassed if she gets anything wrong, and she's not shy to ask about how you say things if she needs reminding.

She's hitting that 5yo "chatterbox" stage, and it's really fun to talk to her. Her baby sister is catching up fast as well, using Spanish and Hebrew interchangeably.

This reminds me of Country Yossi's song "who is he? & " Kivi & Tuki getting confused between English & Hebrew words

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 10:09 pm
Wait, weight
Beet, beat
Meet, meat
Teem, team
Chute, shoot
Strait, straight
U, you
We, wee
Pea, pee
So, sew

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 10:40 pm
Share/sheer
Flu/flew
Mane/main
Soot/ suit
Cell/sell
There/their/they're
Wail, whale
Bread/bred
Seem/seam
Cent/sent
Cents/sense
Whine/wine

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 10:56 pm
simcha4 wrote:
bee, be
where, wear
bare, bear
stares, stairs
pail, pale
sale, sail
taught, taut

Also steers

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 11:12 pm
Flea/flee
Hail/hale
Bail/bale
Feet/feat
Earn/urn
Choo/chew
Not/knot

6000miles

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 11:32 pm
flour-flower

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 11:45 pm
Tye, tie
Stye, sty
Sean, seen, scene
Course, coarse
Cruise, crews
Oar,or
War, wore
Steal, steel
Layed, laid
Eta:
Bated/baited
Bored/board
Seed/cede
Reel/real

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 12:13 am
Lone/ loan
Which/witch
Reed/read
Wring/ring

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 2:23 am
Draws
Drawers

Prints
Prince

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 2:49 am
Reign-rain
Male-mail

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 11:55 am
Through-threw

simcha4

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 12:56 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This girl is also partially deaf, and I'm hard of hearing, which makes it even more fun.

She was asking me to draw pictures for her, so she could color them in. She asked me for a cat, so I drew a cat. Then she asked me for a dog, and I drew a dog. "No, not a dog, a DOG!" I was quite confused. She made a wiggling motion with her hand, like swimming in the water. "Oh, I understand, you want a DAG!" and I drew her a fish (Hebrew). I never know in advance when she is going to switch languages on me.

Another one was when something fell on the floor. I mentioned it, and she looked at the flowers in a vase on the table. I made the ASL sign for flower, .and she said "Hand?" I told her "flor" was Spanish for flower, and "floor" was English for what you stand on in a house.

I told her that lots of languages have words that sound the same, but mean different things. It's very confusing, and it's OK if you get things mixed up. Sometimes it can be hard to learn, and sometimes it can be very silly, too!

I don't actually sit and purposely "teach her English". She doesn't see me as a teacher at all. I'm someone who comes and plays with her while her mom has other stuff to do. Kind of a mother's helper/nanny. Just by narrating play and having conversations, she picks it up very organically. I make sure that she never feels embarrassed if she gets anything wrong, and she's not shy to ask about how you say things if she needs reminding.

She's hitting that 5yo "chatterbox" stage, and it's really fun to talk to her. Her baby sister is catching up fast as well, using Spanish and Hebrew interchangeably.

You sound like a great teacher. I like that dag/dog mix up. If I may ask, d'you work as a teacher?
I've had many mistakes in Hebrew pronunciation which has evoked lots of laughter. I wrote an article on it for Mishpacha several years ago.
Though, some mistakes can be embarrassing.

Last edited by simcha4 on Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

simcha4

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 12:58 pm
dankbar wrote:
Share/sheer
Flu/flew
Mane/main
Soot/ suit
Cell/sell
There/their/they're
Wail, whale
Bread/bred
Seem/seam
Cent/sent
Cents/sense
Whine/wine

also - scent

simcha4

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:05 pm
dankbar wrote:
Also steers

This is the pronunciation difference in some words between American English and British English.

British English doesn't pronouce "stairs" like "steers" but the "ai" like "ehr."
So, being that I'm British, I wouldn't know of rhyming steers with stairs.

Whoa! Dankbar, you're a whiz at Homonyms! Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics