Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pls recommend COMFORTABLE masks for children
Previous  1  2  3  Next

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 11:52 am
I had good experiences with target and old navy. I had to adjust the ear straps on some, but they've worked fine for my dd who is also starting 1st grade. I also ensure she has a clean one each day, which also helps make it more pleasant (and hygienic).

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
Not sweaty at all, it's mesh. I wear it daily. I don't receive commission lol I'm just so happy with it. Also super comfy around ears

Ok thanks.
Good to know,
I will have to order it..

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08X3ZH851?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

I use this, by far the most comfortable Mask I tried

I just bought these for my whole family - we'll imy"h be flying next week. We've tried them on and seems to be pretty ok and not itchy like the disposables.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 12:32 pm
Sonovia--very comfortable and come in multiple sizes (and as a bonus supports an Israeli company).

I have heard good things about Enro as well, but they seem to be going out of stock very quickly.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 12:35 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
CissyLala online
Check out her site
She is often out of stock or low on stock
But try

This. Just bought mine. They have adults and kids. Mesh and totally breathable. But yes very often sold out so you have to keep checking for stock.

newly

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Did you try the double layer ones? I feel like the sheer one will earn me dirty looks at work. Are they really breathable and comfortable?

Yes, its 2 layers of mesh. Very comfortable.

Also, for those of us who recently had covid, we are not harming anyone by not masking. Its a rule that needs to be followed but I am entitled to breathe.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:00 am
To those of you who are posting real masks that are comfortable, I wish you brachos for good health and happiness for your entire family.

To those of you who are posting fake masks and saying that making a school age child wear a mask is medically contraindicated or some form of abuse, you are leading others to commit avairos. I work in a variety of schools where there are young kids that wear a mask for several hours at at time and they are ALL fine. In fact the students had fewer 'sick days' then in previous years. Do you really think that the ability or makeup of frum kids is different...so only frum kids get sick from masks?

To the moms that said "we just have Covid and have high antobodies" that only matters if you or your child are entering a place that have an antibody rule in lieu of masks and you test often because antibodies wane.

If you choose to go to a school, shul, supermarket, gym, etc. with a mask rule you need to follow it. You are committing a tremendous avairah when you cheat the mask mandate by sending your kid with a "fake mask". The school staff probably advocated for the mask rule to help them feel more confident to go to work in-person. Do you want it to be your kid that kills 68 year old diabetic Morah Cohen because she came back to work thinking it was a somewhat safe environment because everyone would be masked?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
To those of you who are posting real masks that are comfortable, I wish you brachos for good health and happiness for your entire family.

To those of you who are posting fake masks and saying that making a school age child wear a mask is medically contraindicated or some form of abuse, you are leading others to commit avairos. I work in a variety of schools where there are young kids that wear a mask for several hours at at time and they are ALL fine. In fact the students had fewer 'sick days' then in previous years. Do you really think that the ability or makeup of frum kids is different...so only frum kids get sick from masks?

To the moms that said "we just have Covid and have high antobodies" that only matters if you or your child are entering a place that have an antibody rule in lieu of masks and you test often because antibodies wane.

If you choose to go to a school, shul, supermarket, gym, etc. with a mask rule you need to follow it. You are committing a tremendous avairah when you cheat the mask mandate by sending your kid with a "fake mask". The school staff probably advocated for the mask rule to help them feel more confident to go to work in-person. Do you want it to be your kid that kills 68 year old diabetic Morah Cohen because she came back to work thinking it was a somewhat safe environment because everyone would be masked?

Morah Cohen was free to get the vaccine.

Study after study has shown that immunity to covid does NOT wane after disease (we obviously don't have long term studies yet). Do you need me to post sources as I have done in other threads?

Maybe you're unaware, but very yeshivish and chassidish schools have not been wearing masks for almost a year now and they've had no more cases that other places in the U.S.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:13 am

Thank you rabbi sienna. If it’s ok with you though, I will take my halachic advice from my own rabbi, and if I have a question as to whether or not something is an aveira, I will ask him.
For the record, my kids who are in schools with mask mandates didn’t advocate for the mandate. The schools are actually being forced to have masking and vaccinating mandates. It’s not their choice. Welcome to NY.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:14 am

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.....

Many schools have no interest in these mandates. They are forced to implement them by local government.

You know what, I totally agree. Standing up to unfair gvmt mandates is never OK. Except- have you studied American history at all? Hmmm.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:20 am
Sienna, I’m sure you mean well but your whole premise is very flawed unfortunately.

May you have a healthy year for you and your family.

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Morah Cohen was free to get the vaccine.

Study after study has shown that immunity to covid does NOT wane after disease (we obviously don't have long term studies yet). Do you need me to post sources as I have done in other threads?

Maybe you're unaware, but very yeshivish and chassidish schools have not been wearing masks for almost a year now and they've had no more cases that other places in the U.S.

Yes, please post the peer-reviewed medical studies that have shown that covid immunity does not wane after disease. I would be happy to share links to studies demonstrating that those who have had covid and are unvaccinated get re-infected at a higher rate than those who have covid and also get vaccinated.

That is not true about the schools--there were big spikes in cases in those counties after school opened last year. The increases were far less in communities like mine that had universal masking in school even though we are in the same state & not really that far apart. Hopefully the same will not be true this year, although the predominate strain is much more contagious so that is concerning.

In any event, since the OP is looking to comply with the government mandate, mesh masks likely do not qualify. At least the TSA specifically has a rule saying that mesh masks do not count as masks, for example.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 9:19 am
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
Yes, please post the peer-reviewed medical studies that have shown that covid immunity does not wane after disease. I would be happy to share links to studies demonstrating that those who have had covid and are unvaccinated get re-infected at a higher rate than those who have covid and also get vaccinated.

That is not true about the schools--there were big spikes in cases in those counties after school opened last year. The increases were far less in communities like mine that had universal masking in school even though we are in the same state & not really that far apart. Hopefully the same will not be true this year, although the predominate strain is much more contagious so that is concerning.

In any event, since the OP is looking to comply with the government mandate, mesh masks likely do not qualify. At least the TSA specifically has a rule saying that mesh masks do not count as masks, for example.

Please share those links you mentioned. Peer reviewed, of course.

Preliminary data from Israel suggests that 1% of current hospitalized covid cases are in previously infected individuals and 40% are in fully vaccinated individuals.

But yes, please show us the studies.

(& Yes, always comply with the gvmt, never make waves. Naturally. Harriet Tubman, how dare you.)

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 9:43 am
Please share those links you mentioned. Peer reviewed, of course.

Preliminary data from Israel suggests that 1% of current hospitalized covid cases are in previously infected individuals and 40% are in fully vaccinated individuals.

But yes, please show us the studies.

(& Yes, always comply with the gvmt, never make waves. Naturally. Harriet Tubman, how dare you.)

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volum.....1.htm

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 10:18 am
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm

This is a comparison between
previously infected + vaccinated
& previously infected + unvaccinated.

All persons involved were previously infected. Where is the group of not previously infected + vaccinated?

And I didn't notice the numbers. Of the 246 people previously infected people that were studied, how many total were reinfected (vaxxed or unvaxxed)? Didn't see that data listed. Possibly missed it.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 10:26 am
This is a disgusting thread. It is especially disgusting considering we are all frum people who are supposed to guard our own and each others health. You are sending your children to a frum school to learn Torah and good middos. What chinuch is it to have your kid cheat the school rules & possibly spread disease?

Do NOT cheat the mask mandate by wearing "fake masks" and risk making others sick. If you don't like your school's rules change schools!

The WHO says its not mandatory for kids under 11 and many countries follow that.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 10:52 am
Cissy lala is sold out.
Any other links? I need for myself as well as we will be going back into the office and required to wear masks.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 10:58 am

https://documentcloud.adobe.co.....Num=1

https://www.thelancet.com/jour.....-5370(21)00141-3/fulltext

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten.....-text

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten.....415v1

See the 4 studies quoted above.

And if study after study shows the same thing, and it hasn't been peer reviewer YET, should we ignore the data?

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:25 am
This is a comparison between
previously infected + vaccinated
& previously infected + unvaccinated.

All persons involved were previously infected. Where is the group of not previously infected + vaccinated?

And I didn't notice the numbers. Of the 246 people previously infected people that were studied, how many total were reinfected (vaxxed or unvaxxed)? Didn't see that data listed. Possibly missed it.

The numbers are in tables at the bottom of the study--there are links to table 1 and table 2. That study was specifically looking at whether the vaccines help people who have had covid already to avoid reinfection--comparing the strength of natural immunity to vaccine-enhanced immunity--the numbers demonstrate that the vaccine helps even those who have already had covid.

Anyway, here is a recent study that compares a group of not previously infected and vaccinated--involved weekly pcr testing of healthcare and other frontline workers over a period of about 8 months.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volum.....4.htm

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:45 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:db59129a-4551-4136-9665-059474d2dc21#pageNum=1

https://www.thelancet.com/jour.....-5370(21)00141-3/fulltext

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten.....-text

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten.....415v1

See the 4 studies quoted above.

And if study after study shows the same thing, and it hasn't been peer reviewer YET, should we ignore the data?

Links 1 and 4 are the same thing.

Link to the Lancet does not work--would you mind re-posting?

The Cleveland Clinic published a statement providing additional context regarding Link 3. https://newsroom.clevelandclin.....arch/

In general, the peer review process helps ensure that data can be relied on--that people are not making things up or contorting numbers to suit an agenda; it's like a self-regulating mechanism. Think of it like trust, but verify. Sometimes through that process, problems in methodology, analysis, etc. are discovered. (More rarely, this can also happen after something has been published as well, in which case, the journals will retract the publication. Nothing is perfect.)

Totally think the robustness and durability of immunity acquired through covid infection should be studied--there has been a lot of focus on the vaccines because the vast majority of the population has not yet had covid & if we were to just let it rip through the population, the results would be catastrophic given the mortality rate of the disease, as well as the cases of long covid. Just look at what is happening in the hospitals in the south right now. Sad
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics