Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Uniform shirts when your kid is plus size
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
It’s actually a very simple job. Cut off cuff. Snip the sleeve part, sew back by machine. It really shouldn’t be more than 10.
Good to know I guess it’s worth asking.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 7:18 pm
My son is plus sized; I have learned to tailor his baggy clothing. It often costs me more for the tailoring than the the actual piece of clothing. Blame it on the company’s cut style.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 8:11 pm
I also had the shirts cut and put back on the cuffs. I think it was $20 a shirt and I bought four shirts.
It costs to dress them but what can I do?!

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 8:12 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I have this problem. I get her the size that closes comfortably around her stomach then I have the sleeves hemmed professionally so the cuffs stay nice. I need to hem a good few inches on the sleeve. I don’t bother with the shoulder. Once the sleeve isn’t long it looks neat.

This

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 8:26 pm
As others have said, buy the size that fits around her stomach amd tailor the cuffs. And no it’s really not a simple job at all. I’ve learned to dish out the dough and not think too much about it. That’s part of the cost of dressing a plus size child.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 8:50 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
My son is plus sized; I have learned to tailor his baggy clothing. It often costs me more for the tailoring than the the actual piece of clothing. Blame it on the company’s cut style.

Please share where you find clothes????

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
As others have said, buy the size that fits around her stomach amd tailor the cuffs. And no it’s really not a simple job at all. I’ve learned to dish out the dough and not think too much about it. That’s part of the cost of dressing a plus size child.
I hear. I was mentally prepared for the skirts costing and arm and a leg, but somehow I thought we could get away with regular shirts because we did until now when she was in polos. I also didn’t know that tailoring cuffs on a uniform shirt was a thing. I’ll know from now on.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 10:09 am
Peru- I buy everything, except suits, on Amazon. I don’t have a car, so this is the easiest way for me to shop. I buy regular men’s sizes, he’s 15, and tailor his clothing. Pants get shortened and tapered.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:14 am
Betty Z light blue shirts come in two styles - tail bottom and straight bottom. The tail bottom are more tapered and are usually tucked in. The straight bottom are made wider and are meant to me untucked. The heavier girls in my daughter's school wear the straight bottom - they come in kids sizes up to 22 and in ladies. Have you tried these or are you trying to tailor the tail bottom shirts, which are more narrow?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 4:50 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Betty Z light blue shirts come in two styles - tail bottom and straight bottom. The tail bottom are more tapered and are usually tucked in. The straight bottom are made wider and are meant to me untucked. The heavier girls in my daughter's school wear the straight bottom - they come in kids sizes up to 22 and in ladies. Have you tried these or are you trying to tailor the tail bottom shirts, which are more narrow?
Her shirts are the navy blue ones, I don’t know if there’s another style, I asked the salesgirl about too long sleeves and she told me to try the ladies sizes, claiming they were cut a little boxier, but that didn’t seem to make too much sense to me, this is for a 10 year old kid. The store was also a madhouse so I didn’t really have the time to try different things. We left with a kids size 18, which was the one that closed over the stomach but huge everywhere else.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 5:53 pm
Would this work?

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/fre.....RMS_4

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:00 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Would this work?

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/fre.....RMS_4
No, we need navy blue oxfords. Thanks though.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:26 pm
In my OOT city, the uniform store has a special shirt that works better for bigger girls. It's not identical to the Betty Z blue with navy cuffs but the school doesn't have a problem with heavier girls wearing it.
Does she tend to be sensory? Depending on her personality could you frame it like you're in the know? Saying something like 'so many mothers tell me their daughters complain about the uniforms that they're tight and scratchy. I know you don't like clothes pulling on you and a friend just told me this amazing idea- we can cut the top and wear a sweater/wear this different one/whatever other solution you think might work'

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:29 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
In my OOT city, the uniform store has a special shirt that works better for bigger girls. It's not identical to the Betty Z blue with navy cuffs but the school doesn't have a problem with heavier girls wearing it.
Does she tend to be sensory? Depending on her personality could you frame it like you're in the know? Saying something like 'so many mothers tell me their daughters complain about the uniforms that they're tight and scratchy. I know you don't like clothes pulling on you and a friend just told me this amazing idea- we can cut the top and wear a sweater/wear this different one/whatever other solution you think might work'
I could try framing it this way. Thanks for the idea. If I know her though, she’ll still want the option to just wear a shirt.
I guess the real truth is I’m afraid she’ll guess the real reason and I so badly don’t want to go there.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:44 pm
THANK YOU for posting this

we have the same problem! Last year I paid OVER $120 FOR ALTERING THREE SHIRTS (on top of buying them of course) and trust me they didn’t even look that good. They were so huge we needed to do shoulders, tack in sleeves, and shorten sleeves AND shirt… it was hard.

Then mid year she outgrew them and…

WE WENT TO DIFFERENT STORE W DIFF BRANDS AND SHIRTS FIT HER OFF THE RACK!!!

So I would say try a diff brand shirt - some are just cut right. One store swore up and down u had no choice but to alter a huge size, while the second shop pulled it off the rack and it fit her like a charm!

(I hate that I can’t buy landsend bec we have striped shirts not solid)

It’s ridiculous. I see the student body (pun intended) and we are not the only ones with this body type what is up!!!!!

Don’t get me started on skirts….

About talking about it - I’ll say something like “ooh that probably feels pinch-ey let’s get one that’s more comfortable, I want you to feel comfortable”. She’s 10 and is unhappy with her body but at least this gives her comfort to focus on not size or shape or whatever!!!!

And yeah I learned to close my eyes and just pay. Whatever it costs, she needs this to survive. I just paid $120 for a shabbos dress (not counting shell) from dillards that makes her look like a queen…. That’s what it costs. It’s like buying whole wheat bread or veg - yeah it’s more $$ but it’s necessary so I don’t even pause at the tag anymore.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:47 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
THANK YOU for posting this

we have the same problem! Last year I paid OVER $120 FOR ALTERING THREE SHIRTS (on top of buying them of course) and trust me they didn’t even look that good. They were so huge we needed to do shoulders, tack in sleeves, and shorten sleeves AND shirt… it was hard.

Then mid year she outgrew them and…

WE WENT TO DIFFERENT STORE W DIFF BRANDS AND SHIRTS FIT HER OFF THE RACK!!!

So I would say try a diff brand shirt - some are just cut right. One store swore up and down u had no choice but to alter a huge size, while the second shop pulled it off the rack and it fit her like a charm!

(I hate that I can’t buy landsend bec we have striped shirts not solid)

It’s ridiculous. I see the student body (pun intended) and we are not the only ones with this body type what is up!!!!!

Don’t get me started on skirts….
Does anyone know if there’s another uniform store in Lakewood other than fraylich?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:51 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:

Sorry but that is just so mean! I am plus size and would be mortified if there was a special "PLUS SIZE" uniform! I think that is horrible Can't Believe It

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know if there’s another uniform store in Lakewood other than fraylich?

Yup. Classic on 2nd. Pop up shop possibly - I think she does her basement most of the year

(908) 910-4065 (call after 11 am when they open)

There’s another # (the home number) I gotta find it

I’m going next week, hope I find what we need!

There also used to be someone in a basement in forest park and also tanglewood…

bsy

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Class act
ETA the previous poster listed it as classic with their number

Last edited by bsy on Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:54 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Sorry but that is just so mean! I am plus size and would be mortified if there was a special "PLUS SIZE" uniform! I think that is horrible Can't Believe It

They don’t call it plus size they usually label it “cut B” or something
The store owners will say something like - oh I have a diff cut that might suit better
There’s no labeling or word “plus” anywhere snd the shirt is indistinguishable from a slim cut
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics